Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition Reply with quote

I want to install this tach

it is 12 V but no idea on how to wire it up. I assume a 12V lead goes to 12v terminal but other 2 ?? and I have pernotix electronic ignition

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

any help appreciated

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition Reply with quote

guzzirider wrote:

I can see +12 above the first terminal and +6 above the empty slot, but cannot see what is above the two terminals on the right. What do they have moulded into the plastic above them?

Tachometers usually need power in, a ground, and a signal wire from the negative side of the coil. If the tach has backlighting, there will also be a power input for that bulb. The ground may be a separate wire, or it may be a chassis ground from the instrument to the mounting surface.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition Reply with quote

I'm away from the vW right now, but believe that my VDO tach - in use since 1977 - has 12 volt positive, connector to coil negative side (terminal #1), dash light illumination, and a ground wire.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
herbie1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 11:07 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition Reply with quote

Verify if one of the two terminals has 0 ohms (continuity) to the metal; this terminal should probabily be the "-" terminal.

Your photo is not full inclusive; if there is another ground spade terminal it is the "-"
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition Reply with quote

The other two terminals are "1" next to the screw and "-" far right.
"1" connects to terminal 1 or -ve on the coil and "-" goes to ground.
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition Reply with quote

Awesome DOKA !
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition Reply with quote

Thanks you. Does it matter that I have electronic points replacement.

12V goes to gauge power

next goes to - on coil

and one furthest from one marked 12V goes to ground

I have had DOKA for 26 yrs. It was originally the parts runner for VW dealer in Abilene TX. My college ROTC buddy bought it from the dealer while stationed with AF in TX. It was shipped to Philippines with an AF move and spent 4 yrs there. My friend had it painted those crazy PI taxicab colors while there. ( looks to have had slight nose damage there) Shipped back to US. My friend died in a AF C-130 crash in Idaho in 1990s. I bought it from his estate.

there is a place above gauge for light bulb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Meiang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 8:23 am    Post subject: Re: wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition Reply with quote

The "1" terminal should go to the coil irrespective whether you are using points or an electonic ignition module.
guzzirider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: wiring a tach wirg electroninc ignition Reply with quote

got the DOKA wired sort of

the tach works great

need to work on dash lights and fuel gauage

Thanks Guys
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: