Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Byron's Bay Window
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
exotic plants
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

Gave me a good happy feeling seeing it being looked after. Very nicely done.

Sadly, I have not made any more progress than shown in the thread. Crying or Very sad

I have been focusing on home improvement and marriage in June.
Rear driver side fender.
Cash waiting.
------------------------------------------------------------
dmcglynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

Byron - you need to get another VW. I miss enjoying your wit and reading about your adventures!!
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

dmcglynn wrote:
Byron - you need to get another VW. I miss enjoying your wit and reading about your adventures!!

Thank you! Perhaps a kickstarter campaign would be in order? Actually I did this recently (I probably should have not started another thread with that topic but it's done now):

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=680058

Still waiting on the bolts to come in so I can get back on the road. We have a deadline: got a bus load of friends and we are going 50 miles north to see Hair in 2 weeks. Of course we will be dressed appropriately and we do have the iconic vehicle for this show. I hope that when we pull up they will comp us. Probably throw us off the property. "this is the dawning of the age of busmania...."

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:
We have a deadline: got a bus load of friends and we are going 50 miles north to see Hair in 2 weeks. Of course we will be dressed appropriately and we do have the iconic vehicle for this show. I hope that when we pull up they will comp us. Probably throw us off the property. "this is the dawning of the age of busmania...."

byron

So I want to thank everyone for all your knowledge and tips because I needed it for the short trip up to Greenville for Hair. So glad I had a spare v belt in my bag of goodies. Got almost there and heard a bang in the back; generator light came on. Pulled it over, got the spare belt out and 10 minutes later we were back on the road. Had a great time at a great show too! We saw so many smiles, peace signs, waves, etc. It is a good feeling to make people happy by just driving by.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1971 Baywindow Bus

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dmcglynn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

Love the pictures! So glad everything came together for you - I thought of the "how to change a vw belt in 5 seconds video" when I read your post:

Link
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

So I've been spending some time in the split forum:

Here are the details.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=685211

And the baywindow is running great!

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Pinetops
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

You got yourself a nice pair of buses.
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

Link

My engine has had this rattle for a while now. I think it's a little louder compared to say 2 weeks ago. Runs great but it does concern me. Is it a generator sound? Probably can't tell from the video but I'm 90% sure that's where it's coming from. I'm getting about 13.1 volts at idle and it goes up to 13.8 at cruising speed. Thanks for looking and commenting!

byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

It could be the generator bearing. I would start with a full tuneup first though. Make sure it isn't valves or anything super simple like that. Though testing the bearing of the generator would be easy, a literal minute to take off the pulley and belt. Then you can feel it with your hands to see if you can feel/hear grinding in the bearing. It could also be something small stuck in the fan, although that wouldn't grow with time. Perhaps the rotor hitting the distributor cap (though that seems unlikely too). It sounds more frequent than being isolated a single cylinder. Grab some stuff in there and shake them around a little. It could even be like a loose tin piece or something. Or like a metal fuel line rattling on something.
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

so i think I've found the noise:

so what do I do about this slot being so wide? replace the generator? take it out fill it with weld and cut another slot? (probably beyond my abilities) thanks for looking in! Byron
1971 Baywindow Bus

Spike0180
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

Gwdghiaguy wrote:

so what do I do about this slot being so wide? replace the generator? take it out fill it with weld and cut another slot? (probably beyond my abilities) thanks for looking in! Byron

Oh... that thing had a failure at some point... umm... you could try in welding art as a repair, but likely a new main generator shaft will be needed...
Other cars: 2003 F150, 2003 Jetta GLI vr6-6sp

Sambastic: adj; the quality of being nit picky, elitist, expecting everyone to do things the way they believe is best with no regard to situation, "sambastic"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

Spike0180 wrote:
Gwdghiaguy wrote:

Oh... that thing had a failure at some point... umm... you could try in welding art as a repair, but likely a new main generator shaft will be needed...
You could maybe cut a new slot 180 degrees opposite that one. Or put in an alternator kit and call it good...... Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Gwdghiaguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Byron's Bay Window Reply with quote

Link

1971 Baywindow Bus

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: