Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!'
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Now that I’ve tidied up the engine bay wiring and installed my two new AGM batteries I need to take care of them. The dash voltmeter was taking an electrical feed after some other instruments, so had quite a voltage drop so I have rewired it straight from a switched feed from the fuse box. Much better!
I’ve also got hold of a battery monitor/voltmeter which lets me look at the voltage of the chassis and leisure batteries separately (or turn it off). I’ve wired that in so that they both give a good thick feed wire and an accurate voltage.
The final step will be to fit an adjustable voltage regulator, so that the AGM batteries can charge at 14.5v when the bus is running and the trickle charger gives about 13.5v for a maintenance charge.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stop dead photo links! Post photos to The Samba Gallery!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

This is the adjustable VR I have ordered, which seems to the the same as the one linked to in this thread:
Adjustable voltage regulator

As far as I can tell, it is a direct swap for the current VR. The link has reference photos for the terminals.

Edit: actually, the link in the thread is broken, here’s the right one!

Adjustable VR upgrade

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

It’s the time of year for the early Summer ‘Volksfling’ at Biggar, South of Edinburgh.
So, we loaded up the Kombi and packed the cat, stopped off to pick up the Ghia and we’re enjoying a sunny (but cool!) weekend camping, chatting and relaxing!

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:

Where did you find this fuse block?

I'm adding a leisure battery as well, and would love to have something that looked somewhat original to add the new circuits. It would be nice to only have to carry around one type of fuse too. Wink

My 1968 Campmobile
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:

I'm adding a leisure battery as well, and would love to have something that looked somewhat original to add the new circuits. It would be nice to only have to carry around one type of fuse too. Wink

It was a lucky find on a popular auction website. Old stock, and actually broken, I needed to repair a crack in the block with glue, but I believe it is very similar to the fuse box used in the Volvo Amazon, so that might be a useful starting point for a search?

TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
Hikelite wrote:

It was a lucky find on a popular auction website. Old stock, and actually broken, I needed to repair a crack in the block with glue, but I believe it is very similar to the fuse box used in the Volvo Amazon, so that might be a useful starting point for a search?
https://www.ipdusa.com/products/8508/110747-fusebox-amazon-pv
And there you have it.... Cool cat and excellent bus!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Oooh, that’s very nice!
Has multiple outlets too!
Well done!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Wow. What a fantastic weekend!
The photos make it look like fantastic weather, but there was a layer of low mist that kept things pretty cool. Last night as we went to bed it was really cold, I had six layers on and I was glad of the new 100Ah leisure battery because we ran a 200w heater for an hour at bedtime and a couple of hours in the morning!
We met up with some good friends, and my friend with the barn find '74 Beetle won a prize for the best original aircooled vehicle! I didn't get pictures for the Samba though, as I was shooting print film on an old SLR.

Some gorgeous vehicles at the show...

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I might be going totally overboard with my battery management precautions, but I was so disappointed that my leisure and chassis batteries had only lasted 3-4 years that I'm determined for that not to happen again!
The switchable voltage monitor on the dash shelf is wired as close to each battery as possible. Compared with voltmeter readings at the actual batteries, the leisure battery reading is spot on and the chassis battery is 0.1v low (probably a voltage drop through the fuse box). So, accurate enough.
As you know, I've now got a trickle charger hard wired in, so the batteries can stay on a 13.5 float charge.

I'm not convinced I did the right thing, installing AGM (absorbed glass mat) leisure and main batteries, but I've done it, and I was glad of it when we had to use the 12v heater for a few hours over the weekend! The issue is that they should really have a higher charging voltage (ideally 14.5v) when recharging after use, otherwise they don't reach a full state of charge.
I knew my stock alternator/mechanical voltage regulator puts out nothing like that voltage, so I bought an (American made!) solid state adjustable VR for about £20 and I expected to have a rewiring job on my hands to fit it, but it couldn't have been easier!

I went for a test run with the stock setup and confirmed that the VR was at 13.8v. This dropped to 13.5v at idle. Not too bad, but not enough for the new, fancy batteries!
Swapping over to the new VR was a piece of cake, the plug connector from the alternator leads just fits right in (I had checked the terminal designations matched up beforehand!) I have temporarily mounted it on a spare screw in the engine bay, so I could reach the blue voltage adjustment screw. It will mount on the same screws as the original VR.
Straight away, the voltage was up to 14.0v when running, and a tiny adjustment of the sensitive blue screw brought it up to 14.3v. You can see that my aftermarket Dashboard VDO voltmeter is more or less accurate now I've wired it to the fuse box (switched feed).

I think I will leave it there, as there is the possibility of overcharging and overheating these sealed batteries if the voltage stays too high on a long journey, so 14.3v is a compromise. I guess on a big road trip, I could dial back the voltage to avoid this (actually, the voltage drops to 13.8v when you turn the radio and lights on, so it might not be an issue).

Any comments from actual electrical experts would be more than welcome!

furgo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Good work, thanks for sharing this.

You might want to put a drop of wax or your favourite removable chemical compound on the dial of the VR's potentiometer. That will prevent it from varying the adjustment with vibration.

You might also have mentioned this, but I might have missed it, sorry: when you got your new electronic VR, why did you go for a variable output regulator instead of a fixed one?

Decode your M-Plate
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

furgo wrote:
Good work, thanks for sharing this.

You might want to put a drop of wax or your favourite removable chemical compound on the dial of the VR's potentiometer. That will prevent it from varying the adjustment with vibration.

You might also have mentioned this, but I might have missed it, sorry: when you got your new electronic VR, why did you go for a variable output regulator instead of a fixed one?

Thanks. There is a degree of stiffness in the VR adjustment, so I don’t think it will need locking with wax. Hopefully I can keep an eye on the voltage anyway.
The reason for the variable output is to give the optimum voltage for charging the AGM batteries, which need a higher voltage than a standard battery (14.5-14.8 ideally). The reason I’ve stopped at 14.3 is that if you continue to charge at the higher voltage there is a risk of overheating the battery. I get the feeling this is a theoretical risk unless the voltage continues for very many hours, but I’ll keep it conservative until I know better!

Hikelite
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

TomWesty wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
Hikelite wrote:

In my searching I did find the one for the Volvo. It has that 4th spot for the stubby fuse though. I also like the one Neal found because of the clear cover. Makes it easier to see if a fuse is blown.

I'll keep looking. I had assumed I would install something with blade fuses, but yours looks so original. I'm in no hurry. I'll find one now that I know they are out there. I wonder what it was originally made for? Might help me find one if I knew what it was from. Any part numbers?

My 1968 Campmobile
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Hikelite wrote:
TomWesty wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
Hikelite wrote:

In my searching I did find the one for the Volvo. It has that 4th spot for the stubby fuse though. I also like the one Neal found because of the clear cover. Makes it easier to see if a fuse is blown.

I'll keep looking. I had assumed I would install something with blade fuses, but yours looks so original. I'm in no hurry. I'll find one now that I know they are out there. I wonder what it was originally made for? Might help me find one if I knew what it was from. Any part numbers?

I know I got lucky finding the fuse box, I'll attach the photos from the EBay listing, the manufacturers logo might help your search!

I did read somewhere that you can modify a blown 'stubby' fuse by bending a wiggle in the metal part of a normal torpedo fuse (of the required blow current) and fitting it onto the stubby fuse body IYSWIM...

Here it is!
Stubby fuse hack, two methods!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

A Samba member had messaged me about the under dash shelves we have in the Kombi, so I though I'd put the info in a post and I can link to it for him.

They were installed by the PO, but they are very sturdy, well positioned so that I never clatter my legs on them, although I'm 6'3"! They're basically two metal frames each side of the bus, welded from angled steel, with a hardboard base, and covered with padded vinyl.

There are four solid attachment points: two screws near the door and two bolts near and on the handbrake frame (the front one is actually stripped, but this doesn't seem to affect the strength much!)

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I had a bit of time on my hands today, so I installed the new Voltage regulator into its correct location using the old screws. I also wanted to rewire the towbar electrics, which we use for the bike rack (the old 'splices' are just twisted wire and nasty electrical tape). Unfortunately, the electrical supply shop has sent me the wrong length of 7core cable, so I'll have to put that on hold.

That did give me the chance of a vanity project, which was to fit two 12v LED strip light into the engine bay! I'm fed up of constantly having to wear a head torch and these cheap lights secure with a screw and a magnet, and I've wired in to the leisure battery fuse box.
It's sunny today, so you don't get the full effect, but I love them already!!
What a view, I might have to clean up the grime that's now visible!

1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

Great work on the electrics Phil!
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:

Cheers Harry! It's seeing a bus like yours that gives me something to aspire to!
I was remembering our trip to the Netherlands this time last year. Hopefully, we'll be able to repeat it sometime (not this year though!)

1970fun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

mcdonaldneal wrote:
1970fun wrote:

Cheers Harry! It's seeing a bus like yours that gives me something to aspire to!
I was remembering our trip to the Netherlands this time last year. Hopefully, we'll be able to repeat it sometime (not this year though!)

Shame you didn’t come this month of may as it was the warnest and sunniest may in 300 years.
But the forecast still looks good so who knows if june brakes a record too would be nice as we are going to this show in Germany https://www.midsummerfestival.de
mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

1970fun wrote:
mcdonaldneal wrote:
1970fun wrote:

Shame you didn’t come this month of may as it was the warnest and sunniest may in 300 years.
But the forecast still looks good so who knows if june brakes a record too would be nice as we are going to this show in Germany https://www.midsummerfestival.de

That festival looks great! Enjoy it!

mcdonaldneal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:21 pm    Post subject: Re: 'Let's Go! Scotland-Croatia and onwards in our Kombi!' Reply with quote

I’ve had a couple of weeks sorting out two main issues. The rusted strip of paintwork at the roofline has taken a long time to finish but ended up with grinding, POR15, filler, white primer, matched orange paint and a clear vinyl strip over the top . It’s an awkward area and I’m not skilled in paintwork, but I’m fairly happy with the result and by definition it’s virtually invisible if you’re under 6’ tall!
The second issue was a decision that my hot running issue was due to carb jetting and lean running. It’s detailed in the thread here, but I’m happy that I’ve got it sorted for the time being!
PDSIT carbs in 2.0l engine

Anyway! Once I’d finished all of that, I took the Kombi to a 4wd experience that I had been given as a present (so that I could check the wideband readings!) and I extended the day into a scenic trip through the local countryside.
It is a beautiful evening, and I’m now sat drinking coffee on a sunny hilltop!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 37, 38, 39 ... 71, 72, 73  Next
Jump to:
Page 38 of 73

Jump to: