Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help KentPS get back on the road?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Glad to hear you have come to your senses and decided to keep your beloved bus. Like me in PHX, it's the time to hibernate our VW's anyway due to the excess heat. I only drive mine in the early mornings to keep them lubricated during the summer.

Wishing you buckets of good thoughts as you attack your health issues Kent!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Kent,
When’s your next smog check due? I have a good used dual port long block we could complete and install for you. I even have the correct rear hanger for the conversion. You’d need to buy the close out tin kit though which is about $250. So for not too much money you could be mobile until next smog check. That would give you some breathing room. I’m sure it wouldn’t be hard to round up the needed T1 parts. I have most of them.
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

It isn't all that much more work to just replace the heads. Let's find a set of heads that will go on it and work on getting them to Adrian.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Why not just swap in a t4 spare engine? Someone around here ought to have one........

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
aeromech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
Why not just swap in a t4 spare engine? Someone around here ought to have one........

If someone did have one that was compatible with his exhaust system then we would live in a perfect world
Boeing 727,737-200-300-400,757,767
Airbus A319,320,321
DC9/MD80
BAe146
Fokker F28/F100
VW type 1 1962,63,65,69,72
VW Type 2 1971 (3 ea.) 1978, 1969
VW Jetta
VW Passat
Capable of leaping tall buildings in a single bound
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

aeromech wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

If someone did have one that was compatible with his exhaust system then we would live in a perfect world

only Jesus is perfect, and our world is far from it.

however, guess what? i know of one with a matching exhaust too.

go figure. Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
CarlosZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Sad to hear what’s going on. I’ve met Kent and he’s an awesome dude. I’ve a seized 1800 with good heads. I’ll have the heads completely rebuilt and donate them to you until you’re in a better position. We’ll see you and Chloe at the Prado.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

only Jesus is perfect, and our world is far from it.

go figure. Smile

And he was only perfect because of his Mother...

Can You smog with a T1? Wouldn’t you fail on visual inspection?
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Wow, CarlosZ, that is extremely generous of you. But you have a big family and a bus of your own to take care of. I couldn't accept your offer without compensating you.

But Stuart is right... a fellow Samba member (I don't know if he wants to be anonymous or not) has generously offered me a running 2.0 long block from a '78. And Stuart has offered to deliver it when he's in Calif next month. Thanks donor and Stu! I'll pay you back as soon as I'm able.

I very carefully drove Chloe into her summer hibernation garage yesterday. Even running on only 3 cylinders, barely holding idle at stop lights, and sounding akin to a coffee grinder, she makes me happy. So, again, thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and generous offers. It's a great feeling knowing friends are everywhere.

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
Cars of today are so bland in comparison. It's like driving a celebration!"
---WildIdea

Bus ownership via emoticons:
Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
Angus II
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Can You smog with a T1? Wouldn’t you fail on visual inspection?[/quote]
Hello.
It has been known to happen here in CA. before. That some extra $$$$ can get you a blind smog inspector.... which also by mistake puts the sniffer tube in the wrong tailpipe or didn't get it all the way in....
I am sure glad I don't live in a smog county(bi-annual checks)....
Jack_O_Trades
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Angus II wrote:
Can You smog with a T1? Wouldn’t you fail on visual inspection?
Hello.
It has been known to happen here in CA. before. That some extra $$$$ can get you a blind smog inspector.... which also by mistake puts the sniffer tube in the wrong tailpipe or didn't get it all the way in....
I am sure glad I don't live in a smog county(bi-annual checks)....

I’m not advocating for this as I have rebuilt entire engines to address failed smog tests. And, I don’t know if fraud is worse than bribery but you can also change the location of of your vehicle to an address in a county that does not require smog. The addresses of your vehicles do not have to be the same as your primary residence address. And, you don’t necessarily have to be the owner of the vehicles alternative address. And, it’s a simple DMV form.
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Wow, CarlosZ, that is extremely generous of you. But you have a big family and a bus of your own to take care of. I couldn't accept your offer without compensating you.

But Stuart is right... a fellow Samba member (I don't know if he wants to be anonymous or not) has generously offered me a running 2.0 long block from a '78. And Stuart has offered to deliver it when he's in Calif next month. Thanks donor and Stu! I'll pay you back as soon as I'm able.

I very carefully drove Chloe into her summer hibernation garage yesterday. Even running on only 3 cylinders, barely holding idle at stop lights, and sounding akin to a coffee grinder, she makes me happy. So, again, thanks everyone for your kind thoughts and generous offers. It's a great feeling knowing friends are everywhere.

Don’t forget install as well Wink

And by next month I mean next Monday actually. I’m in Sacramento on June 3rd. Wink

Please PM me your cell number at some point Smile

206-841-7324
[email protected]
OB Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Jack_O_Trades wrote:

I’m not advocating for this as I have rebuilt entire engines to address failed smog tests. And, I don’t know if fraud is worse than bribery but you can also change the location of of your vehicle to an address in a county that does not require smog. The addresses of your vehicles do not have to be the same as your primary residence address. And, you don’t necessarily have to be the owner of the vehicles alternative address. And, it’s a simple DMV form.

The vehicle has to already be smog legal when you change residence to one of those places.
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Stuartzickefoose wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

go figure. Smile

Yes, Stuart is correct. And the engine donor is Xevin. Dancing

As it happens, the engine he is donating was pulled from Stuart's bus following the unfortunate accident. But I'm wondering if the 2.0l engine originally from Stuart's '78 will mate correctly with the '73 3-rib transmission that is in Chloe. Does anyone know?

"I must say, how can you be in a bad mood driving this vehicle full of vibrant color.
---WildIdea

Very Happy Shocked Mad Sad Embarassed d'oh! Pray Brick wall Pray Dancing Dancing Dancing ---williamM
RixiesRide
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

KentPS wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

go figure. Smile

As it happens, the engine he is donating was pulled from Stuart's bus following the unfortunate accident. But I'm wondering if the 2.0l engine originally from Stuart's '78 will mate correctly with the '73 3-rib transmission that is in Chloe. Does anyone know?

The engine from my '79 hooked up with my '73 Transmission with no problems.

http://s13.photobucket.com/albums/a269/RixiesRide/WW/
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

RixiesRide wrote:
KentPS wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

go figure. Smile

Keep your flywheel from the old engine, no problems if you do that.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
KentABQ Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Thanks Rixie and BusDaddy. That's good to know.

---WildIdea

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Who is doing the work on the swap, and is that the end of it, or is this a temporary swap until the engine in it now is back up running?
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
RixiesRide wrote:
KentPS wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

go figure. Smile

Flywheel clutch and pressure plate. Is that right BD?
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Help KentPS get back on the road? Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
busdaddy wrote:
RixiesRide wrote:
KentPS wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:
aeromech wrote:
Stuartzickefoose wrote:

go figure. Smile

Flywheel clutch and pressure plate. Is that right BD?

Correct, sorry, should have spelled it out, keep everything that bolts onto the front end of the crankshaft for use in your existing bellhousing. Of course follow the instructions in your Bentley manual regarding flywheel installation and endplay measurement/adjustment any time a flywheel is swapped.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: