Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cambi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:07 pm    Post subject: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Hello everyone. First I’d like to thank and congratulate for such a helpful and huge site, it’s incredible all the information contributed.
I’m pretty new to VW’s although I’ve owned a 1979 super beetle for about a yr
Happened that I came across an oval and since I am starting to become more attractive to older bugs decided to check it out.
Looked under back seat chasis Numbers and searched here for previous posts in this topi, but can’t really figure it out. Is this a correct chassis for 1955? 3904733
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

3904733 is a VIN # from May, 1961
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cambi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Thank you very much EverettB.
Then it’s a 55 on a 61pan. How would I know, is there a number that reflects the year of the car?
If this is the case, this car doesn’t really hold up value, correct?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Sorry, I should have told you I looked it up on the VIN # listings on the site here in the Technical section to find the year:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/bugchassisdating.php

Yes, it's worth less because it's not on the original pan.

I don't know how much less, it depends on the condition of the rest of the car.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cambi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Thank you again. I was able to contact owner and have this picture from the tag under the hood by the spare tire
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Mark Evans Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Looks like a May of '55.
theorangeperil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

is there a way of finding what the original chassis number would have been from the body number?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

The original chassis number is on the metal VIN tag shown above

1-0919XXX

Body and VIN number = June 1955
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cambi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

If body it’s 55, would be possible that a 55 had originally Ragtop? Or this is also not correct for this 55 year period?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

55 ragtop could be original.

You need to set your goal...a 55 on a 61 pan will never hold its value. You could put $50k in it and never sell it for over $15k

So if you don’t care about resale, buy it...but at the same time do not pay too much. Is it titled as a 55 or 61?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cambi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Thanks txoval. It’s titled as a 55. Current owner had no clue about chassis swapped.
Car has rust, patina look, but rust issues. I can see around the ragtop a different old color..it might be original, is there a way to know if ragtop is correct on this car?
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Only sure way would be to cut a hole in the head liner and see if it was welded in...or get the birth certificate for VIN on the metal tag. Birth certificates take a few months to get

Personally, I would move down the road.
Cambi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Thank you. There is no headliner in the car, just the top. I can see the ragtop mechanism, it’s just I’m not familiar with it.
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

You need to look at the roof metal...if a ragtop was grafted in from another car you will see where the roof was cut out and the ragtop section welded in.

Look around the perimeter of the opening
Kjell Roar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

3 fold ragtop is original for the body, people pay a lot for that. If its 2 fold, its welded in.

My car, Aug. 4th, 1955 / an early 56: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=610438
Cambi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Correct chassis Numbers 1955 Oval Reply with quote

Thank you kjell roar. It’s a 3 fold, and can’t see any welding around. I thought wasn’t original because I see some aluminum square tubs .
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: