Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:03 am    Post subject: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot a noise that I believe is either coming from the transmission or the clutch release/throwout bearing and am hoping I can get some guidance on what to look at next. I’ve searched and nothing quite matches the symptoms going on with my car- ‘71 manual Squareback.

When you sit in the car with it idling and foot off the clutch there’s a whirring/rubbing/whine sound that you hear running down the tunnel that stops when you depress the clutch. I’ve been poking around with an engine stethoscope under the car and can hear what sounds like that same noise at both the front and back of the transmission. But also could just be what a transmission sounds like when you’re listening with a stethoscope?

One thread I found says with a noise and symptoms like that it’s the a bad main shaft bearing in the transmission, others said they’ve had similar experiences with a bad throwout bearing. In both cases people seem to have been able to drive for either years or explode said part in short order.

I noticed this sound before parking marigold for the winter and again now. It’s probably been in the last 200ish miles. I’ve done valves and a tune up, checked the Bowden tube sag, readjusted clutch pedal freeplay, checked that the spring isn’t broken at the clutch arm, and the clutch arm on the trans still has some play and can move it a small amount by hand. Trans is dry, no leaking fluid. Does anyone else have any ideas of what to check or what it might be? Is this a TO bearing replacement or a full trans rebuild? I’m still hoping I can get this fixed in time to make it to the invasion Pray
Intrinsic
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

Does the sound change when the clutch pedal is depressed? This would help to isolate the TO bearing and input shaft bushing as sources of the noise you are hearing.

If you suspect internal bearing damage, a good diagnostic step is to remove the magnetized drain plug from the transmission and to inspect the attached filings to see if they can be attributed to normal or excessive wear, or even to a specific transmission component. This also allows you to change the transmission oil, which helps to eliminate lubricant contamination or breakdown, when evaluating such an unattributed noise.
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

Intrinsic wrote:
Does the sound change when the clutch pedal is depressed? This would help to isolate the TO bearing and input shaft bushing as sources of the noise you are hearing.

The sound does change with the clutch pedal depressed, listening with the stethoscope it becomes quieter, without it it sounds like it goes away. And that’s good to know. I’ll pull the drainplug and post pictures to see if that points to anything specific. Thank you!
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

periscopebill wrote:
I’ve been trying to troubleshoot a noise that I believe is either coming from the transmission or the clutch release/throwout bearing and am hoping I can get some guidance on what to look at next. I’ve searched and nothing quite matches the symptoms going on with my car- ‘71 manual Squareback.

When you sit in the car with it idling and foot off the clutch there’s a whirring/rubbing/whine sound that you hear running down the tunnel that stops when you depress the clutch. I’ve been poking around with an engine stethoscope under the car and can hear what sounds like that same noise at both the front and back of the transmission. But also could just be what a transmission sounds like when you’re listening with a stethoscope?

One thread I found says with a noise and symptoms like that it’s the a bad main shaft bearing in the transmission, others said they’ve had similar experiences with a bad throwout bearing. In both cases people seem to have been able to drive for either years or explode said part in short order.

I noticed this sound before parking marigold for the winter and again now. It’s probably been in the last 200ish miles. I’ve done valves and a tune up, checked the Bowden tube sag, readjusted clutch pedal freeplay, checked that the spring isn’t broken at the clutch arm, and the clutch arm on the trans still has some play and can move it a small amount by hand. Trans is dry, no leaking fluid. Does anyone else have any ideas of what to check or what it might be? Is this a TO bearing replacement or a full trans rebuild? I’m still hoping I can get this fixed in time to make it to the invasion Pray

I had that issue with my 65 Notch (IRS trans). It turned out to be the throw out bearing. It would make noise while sitting there in neutral, but pushing the clutch pedal made it go away. The old TB had basically ran out of grease. Replaced it and all is quiet again.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

yep - classic throwout bearing as Bob said, luckily it's easy and cheap
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
I had that issue with my 65 Notch (IRS trans). It turned out to be the throw out bearing. It would make noise while sitting there in neutral, but pushing the clutch pedal made it go away. The old TB had basically ran out of grease. Replaced it and all is quiet again.

Erik G wrote:
yep - classic throwout bearing as Bob said, luckily it's easy and cheap

I’m glad to hear that that seems to be the consensus. I’m probably overthinking it, but I went on another drive and my transmission does seem a bit louder while driving. Hopefully that’s just another symptom..

I checked the trans fluid level and it was full, a drip came out as soon as I loosened the fill plug. And figured it didn’t hurt to drain it and check the plug in case anything looked weird. Here’s a pic of the drain plug just in case, but it sounds like I’ll be putting in a new throwout bearing this weekend, thank you guys! Fingers crossed!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

If your clutch is out your throw out bearing cannot make noise as it is not moving at all, can you hear a throw out bearing with the engine off? No, because it is in the exact position as with it running and clutch out.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
If your clutch is out your throw out bearing cannot make noise as it is not moving at all, can you hear a throw out bearing with the engine off? No, because it is in the exact position as with it running and clutch out.

In an ideal situation, that would be true. However, we don't know the clutch free play, the condition of the pressure plate, whether the fork is tweaked, or the condition of the fork bushings. A lot of variables that could cause the TO bearing to be skimming on the pressure plate. If you remove the cable adjustment nut from the cable, and the noise goes away, it's probably the TO bearing.

Just remember when you drop the engine, apply a little grease inside the gland nut
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:50 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:
mcmscott wrote:

In an ideal situation, that would be true. However, we don't know the clutch free play, the condition of the pressure plate, whether the fork is tweaked, or the condition of the fork bushings. A lot of variables that could cause the TO bearing to be skimming on the pressure plate. If you remove the cable adjustment nut from the cable, and the noise goes away, it's probably the TO bearing.

Just remember when you drop the engine, apply a little grease inside the gland nut

If this was the case the tob would have self destructed long time ago.
Clutch in, noise gone, equals transmission because the transmission stopped.
Clutch in, noise present is the tob as it now is in motion and under a load.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

Multi69s wrote:

mcmscott wrote:

Thanks for the advice & clarification! I was hopeful based on bobsnotch’s experience which mirrors this even though it is technically contrary to the symptoms. I removed the clutch cable wingnut entirely and am still hearing the sound.

I guess that means the transmission is the culprit Sad I’m pulling the engine today, maybe there will be a smoking gun once the engine is out with something funky with the fork or throwout bearing Pray Pray Pray
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

All of that might be true, but I can only report what fixed my own car. This was also 5 years after I replaced the entire clutch assembly. Since replacing the tob, I haven't heard that noise again in over 4 years.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

Also make sure to inspect ALL of the motor mounts. If the engine / trans can shift around, all bets are off.
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

Okay, so got the engine out. Not sure that there was a smoking gun, but wanted to share pictures and video of the TO bearing to see if anything sticks out to anyone. Sorry for the sideways videos.

It does seem kind of wet in the bellhouse and doesn’t smell like gear oil so was going to check the main seal just in case. Will also check the pilot bearing in the gland nut.

Bobsnotch, any chance you remember if your throwout was particularly noisy when you replaced it? And thank you Multi69s! All motor mounts were solid before engine came out.

This may not work at all but maybe I can try spinning the input shaft in the trans to see if that’s where the sound is coming from? Though I guess it may not move fast enough. Hmm

Link

Link
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

That TO bearing is definitely low on grease. Honestly can't say that was the problem, but it could have been in the future.
My builds
mcmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

Pull trans, then pull nose cone. you will see where the noise is coming from. Before that, pull and push on the input shaft(in and out), any movement is coming from the mainshaft bearing.

68 Ghia
67 T-1
65 Notch
02 Mexican beetle
74 Thing
15 Long travel rail
07 Nomad
05 f-250
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

periscopebill wrote:
Okay, so got the engine out. Not sure that there was a smoking gun, but wanted to share pictures and video of the TO bearing to see if anything sticks out to anyone. Sorry for the sideways videos.

It does seem kind of wet in the bellhouse and doesn’t smell like gear oil so was going to check the main seal just in case. Will also check the pilot bearing in the gland nut.

Bobsnotch, any chance you remember if your throwout was particularly noisy when you replaced it? And thank you Multi69s! All motor mounts were solid before engine came out.

This may not work at all but maybe I can try spinning the input shaft in the trans to see if that’s where the sound is coming from? Though I guess it may not move fast enough. Hmm

Link

Link

I think mine was louder. It did spin that free however. Once you have it out, hold 1 half in your hand and slowly spin the other half. What you're looking for is a rough feeling out of the bearing (a square bearing to be exact). If you feel anything that's kind of "notchy", then you know it's a goner. I'd probably take the 3 bolts out and inspect the trans seal while I'm right there. After all the bell housing looks wet, and you're smelling gear lube. Replace the seal while your there if see any seepage. When you get your new TB, do a spin of it, and you'll see it won't spin as freely as your current one. That's how you know the old one is out of grease.

Note; if you still have the noise once it's back together, check the generator bearings (pull the belt). I think Jim installed a set a year or 2 ago, so they should be fine, but it's a good quick check for some piece of mind.

You might have to try what mcmscott suggested IF you still have the noise.

Since you have the tools, I'd take a look at the rest of the clutch too. Your disc might be oil soaked. While it won't cause the noise, it can/will cause some slippage.
I hope this helps.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:
Pull trans, then pull nose cone. you will see where the noise is coming from. Before that, pull and push on the input shaft(in and out), any movement is coming from the mainshaft bearing.

Thank you, I think this is maybe the smoking gun then, I’m hearing a click when I pull and push on the input shaft. Here’s a video of it:

Link

bobsnotch wrote:
I think mine was louder. It did spin that free however. Once you have it out, hold 1 half in your hand and slowly spin the other half. What you're looking for is a rough feeling out of the bearing (a square bearing to be exact). If you feel anything that's kind of "notchy", then you know it's a goner. I'd probably take the 3 bolts out and inspect the trans seal while I'm right there. After all the bell housing looks wet, and you're smelling gear lube. Replace the seal while your there if see any seepage. When you get your new TB, do a spin of it, and you'll see it won't spin as freely as your current one. That's how you know the old one is out of grease.

Note; if you still have the noise once it's back together, check the generator bearings (pull the belt). I think Jim installed a set a year or 2 ago, so they should be fine, but it's a good quick check for some piece of mind.

You might have to try what mcmscott suggested IF you still have the noise.

Since you have the tools, I'd take a look at the rest of the clutch too. Your disc might be oil soaked. While it won't cause the noise, it can/will cause some slippage.
I hope this helps.

Thank you! This does help, I don’t feel any notches, or rough part of the bearings but I can definitely tell a difference between the new and old bearings. The new one does not spin as freely. And sorry, to clarify the liquid did not smell like gear oil, so I was going to look at the main seal. Was going to check the clutch too, just since it’s out. And still can’t hurt to check the bearing in the gland nut too, I figure? In case the movement of the input shaft could’ve affected anything there?

It sounds like it’s going to be the transmission, from the input shaft play?
cyberfastback1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

If you end up needing another Tranny.. I've got at least 1-2 good used units. You can take one for free if you can make it up to Peekskill .Got to make sure you get to the Invasion.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
periscopebill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

cyberfastback1 wrote:
If you end up needing another Tranny.. I've got at least 1-2 good used units. You can take one for free if you can make it up to Peekskill .Got to make sure you get to the Invasion.

Thank you!! That is so kind of you, sending you a pm.
jadney
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Marigold: Transmission or TO bearing? Reply with quote

mcmscott wrote:

Don't forget that the mainshaft is in 2 pieces, joined by a splined coupling. That coupling is between the clutch and any of the mainshaft bearings, and there is always a bit of intensional play in that coupling.

The play I see in the video is probably normal play from that coupling.

If you take off the nose cone and find mainshaft play from that end, then I agree that could be the problem. But to take that off, you need to have a new nose cone gasket ready, because you'll probably destroy the old one.

It still seems possible to me that this coult be engine noise. I think the very next thing to do would be to verify that the crankshaft end play is still within specs. I'm just thinking that this was a recent engine rebuild and that our trannys have always been exceptionally robust. Given those possibilities, I'd want to make SURE the problem wasn't in the engine, specifically in the #1 thrust.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: