Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

This one officially has me stumped. I can't seem to get this to work. I've got the cable unhooked and my lever goes up all the way nicely. I then hop under the bus and do exactly as eche_bus describes. Everything looks nice. However, once I move the lever down I can no longer push it back up. It just gets all this resistance. Any thoughts on what I'm missing here?

Done this 4 or 5 times. Tried different attachment points. I keep getting too much resistance for the lever to hold. Tightening up the bolt would just make the levers impossible to move.

EDIT: I tightened down the bolt at the levers for more resistance. Seems to be the trick. I wasn't sure how much drag these levers were supposed to have. Can anyone confirm that they have a decent amount of drag? The blue one seems to be able to have a more smooth movement. Not as much to overcome as the springs in the diverter I guess.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

How to adjust the cable
1. Push the dash lever all the way up. Now get back under the bus.
2. Insert the cable jacket retaining clip into the hole in the diverter valve control arm, placing the cable under it, but don't snap it down.
3. Pull the valve control arm toward the rear of the bus, pulling against the spring tension, all the way to the travel limit.
4. Push on the cable jacket so the ball stop at the tip of the boot sits right up against that hidden metal flange/tab the cable wire goes through at the top of the valve.
5. Press the retaining clip down to snap in place, securing the cable.
6. Go back up inside the bus and move that dash lever midway down.
7. Crawl back under the bus and marvel that the control valve arm has moved all the way to the other end of travel!
8. Go back up inside the bus. Move that arm all the way down to Defrost. Note that it doesn't jam or bind.

3. Pull the valve control arm toward the rear of the bus, pulling against the spring tension, all the way to the travel limit.
Is it the spring tension of the Control arm pushing the lever back up and the control lever will not stay in the down position?
Is the spring to strong?
surfbus23
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Tcash wrote:
How to adjust the cable
Is it the spring tension of the Control arm pushing the lever back up and the control lever will not stay in the down position?
Is the spring to strong?

I think it was the tension of the spring. What I don't understand though is why if I had the cable unhooked I could move the lever to the UP position and then attach it with the rear diverter open. For some reason being in the UP position and then hooked up it could resist the spring but once I moved it out of the UP position it would no longer retain the UP position. I settled on adding a lot more resistance to the levers. Still a strange occurrence.
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: How to adjust heat diverter / heat distribution valve cable Reply with quote

Take a look at the flaps. If I am getting this right?

Heat distribution lever up: Front and rear foot wells fully open.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Heat distribution lever in the middle: Only front foot wells open.
Left flap should be open - Right flap should be closed

Heat distribution lever down: Oulets below the window open / Front and rear foot wells closed

The cable step goes through the little hole.
The rust colored ball is pushed home against the little hole.
The lever is twisted against the spring tension.
The cable housing is clamped down in this position.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: