Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics]
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Update!
Got the pans cut out.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Parts started showing up

Found the frame head is rotted through.

More parts!

Added brackets as markers so the new head would be straight where the old was. Butted up against the old head, not attached.

Moment of truth.

Measure, measure, measure and then measure again.

Tacked on, guides off.

Make it strong

Got the triangle and the one pan in too.

So yes, finally making progress. There is a metric ton of parts in my dining room right now and the welder is going to be busy.

I need a good source for beam tube seals. The ones I got are cheap plasticy crap. When I got my old one apart luckily the tube was not rotted and inside was in good shape. I'm going to press ball joints this week. I'm want to get the front end back together.

Any tips for doing the springs, or ball joints? Can I set up my disc's on the bench or would it be better to wait till the knuckles are on? Also the new beam doesn't have grease fittings. I've got some zerk's, should I put them in?

Edit: I did order those heads you recommended andk5591. They look very nice.
PA safety and emissions inspector
General Motors guru
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

I am pretty sure Wolfsburg West has decent seals. I know what you mean about the crappy plastic ones. I have about 4 sets in my one box that I'll never use. No zerks in the beam? Wow - never saw that. I'll let someone else put in their 2 cents, but I would think you would need them....How else can you grease it?

Spring pack install. Can go well or be difficult. I wrap both ends with tape to bundle them snugly and in proper position. Get it through the center of the beam and push it through far enough to tape the end again. Get the center snugged up, then work on the control arm install AFTER you put your seals on. I find that holding the arm pretty much where it should go and gently rotating a little (more like rocking it) and I can usually get them on. Pay attention to the other end of the beam to make sure you arent pushing any leaves out the other side.

Yeah - pleasant surprise on those heads, right? Cool
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Nice work so far. Tackling a framehead looks pretty intimidating but your way made it look easy!

That engine should work out well with a set of pistons and cylinders, and a nice pair of heads. Make sure it is cleeeean while putting it back together!

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Both pans completely welded in. So front suspension is now the hold up.

Got 1/4 ball joints pressed. The R/S lower looks like the last guy worked the arm over a bunch and I couldn't get it out. I guess I need to find a new arm. The new beam I found out has holes for grease fittings but the ones I have don't fit.
General Motors guru
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2016 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

2 things - There are 2 different size zerks. Was an article in Hot Vws a couple years ago about some ball joints being oversized, have seen posts here about that and ran into it myself. I use TRWs and they go in fine and dont bind once installed. I know there are some others that are decent, but I can get TRWs at a decent price and easily.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

I found both right side arm's here on the samba. Unfortunately the lower was in exactly the same shape as the one I already had (Spares?). I was able to get the other three ball joints installed, and the springs and arms assembled.

The beam is getting heavy and I'd like to get it mounted to the chassis before I put the knuckles, brakes and steering on it.

Anybody know the specs on these bolts? Theres a fastenal up the street and I'd rather not wait on another order. I broke one coming apart, and I'm not sure where the other 3 ended up.

Also, Is there anything between the beam and the frame head? This?

I got the upper body to front axle pads, but wont need them till I put the body back on.

Thanks again for all the help
General Motors guru
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Surprisingly those beam to frame head bolts are not torqued very tight. A quick search and the answer is

Front Axle to frame bolt (36)

taken from this thread

You will need 4 pads for the beam. One between the body and beam (the ones you linked, you will need 2 obviously) and then the one you said you have between the bolt/washer piece and the body.

Other than that you should be good on your beam.
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Thanks for that, got the rubbers coming. On the bolts I meant size, length and thread pitch specs. 30 bucks for 4 bolts shipped from California is to much for me... I'd rather find them locally. Thanks again.
General Motors guru
Chochobeef
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

GMATech wrote:
Thanks for that, got the rubbers coming. On the bolts I meant size, length and thread pitch specs. 30 bucks for 4 bolts shipped from California is to much for me... I'd rather find them locally. Thanks again.

Embarassed

12MM-1.5-90MM LONG was what I found when looking at online vendors.

Found Here
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Awesome, should have a big update Monday night. As long as my rubbers get here in time.
General Motors guru
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

For fasteners, my local fastenal was stocking a lot of stuff that you could buy individually. Also found a place on line, but dont remember which one, that had no minimum and shipping was pretty reasonable.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

For fasteners, my local fastenal was stocking a lot of stuff that you could buy individually. Also found a place on line, but dont remember which one, that had no minimum and shipping was pretty reasonable.

This isnt the one I used, https://www.boltdepot.com/ But $15 shipped (shipping was $9). This is a place where you buy a stash of fender bolts, wavy washers, etc. Wont cost you any more shipping.
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

For bolts, nuts, ect. try Mcmastercarr.
everything i order is delivered the next day.
Where in PA are you

DWP
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Didn't get as far as I hoped... As is always the case. Got the bolts at fastenal despite their horrible hours. Front end is on. Disc brakes are on. Should have the front done and on the floor soon. I'm in King of Prussia/ Valley Forge area.
General Motors guru
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

When I first put the gearbox on it didn't hit the stop hardly at all.

So I flipped the clamp around and ran the one bolt in a little further and the other one out a little further. It hits better now, but when I loose installed the tie rod it looks like its gonna kiss the tunnel on full turn. Should I not be worried about it cause it's not on the floor yet??

Got my grease fittings and sway bar on.
General Motors guru
DWP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:48 am    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

you might have to check the angle of the steering box. Look forma nub on the beam. The clamp will go one way for bug another for giha
DWP
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Yeah - dont have the manual handy, but there are marks for which way it goes. The bolts should be tightened pretty uniformly and you shouldnt be hitting the tunnel. Keep in mind that if the steering box angle is off, your steering coupler will be majorly stressed because it will be in a different plane from the steering column.
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Thanks again. I had it on the nubs, I'll flip the clamp back around I probably had it right the first time.

andk5591 - Is that your shop at the bottom of the hill on the bend? I was in a wedding on campus this weekend.
General Motors guru
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

I'm on 322 about 8 miles east of State College, so you probably drove past the shop. Next time you are out this way, give me a yell. I don't have set hours, but only live 5 minutes away. Always have some interesting stuff going on.
GMATech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 72 standard - PA rust to driver project car [pics] Reply with quote

Long time no update. My laundry room fell down (literally the beam holding it all up broke) and I had to put my car projects on hold and switch to the house. I now have a nice new well insulated laundry room and half bath on the first floor. Major upgrade for the old brick twin built in 1900 with no electric.

The garage this car was in before had to get cleared out and this project got moved around and stored for a while. Good news! I finally have a garage to call my own, and it's right behind my house which will make working on this so much easier. It's only 12x20 and needs lots of work, but I negotiated rent for work on the place and have now got it up and running and pretty secure.

I dragged my bus home from my parents house in lancaster, they were glad to have their garage back and I was happy to have so much of my bus under the same roof.

Once the electric was on it was time to get started. I switched the bus and the bug from my friends driveway 3 blocks up the street. As much as it kills me the bus is now under a tarp and the bug is inside. So at least I've got a real fire under my butt to get it done. I couldn't get a whole trailer and the left rear wheel is locked so the little dolly had a bad day.

I got the bug body off the pan again, it was only sitting on it for storage.

Started with a needle scaler and have been removing galvanized duct tin and lots and lots of bondo.

I'm going to be working on this car a lot. I sold my good commuter car and have been running the 88 F250 turbo diesel since December. Its stickshift and lots of fun to drive but I'm sick of it and want to drive the bug. Lots and lots of metal in the garage ready to go on the car, but I will probably need to order a few more panels.
General Motors guru
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: