Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thermostat question
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

After all the hurly-burly, it seems you just got a thermostat that was at the end of its illustrious career.

If the second one does it ... well, let’s just see if it does before moving that far ahead.

Good luck with the second one, Steve.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

sb001 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That looks like one I just pulled off my 1500 SP. I cleaned it all up and then I squeezed it because it looked to expanded. As I squeezed it I saw bubbles being made from the folds. I had another one laying around and replaced it with it. Keep in mind that it is metal and that as you expand and contract it the metal fatigues.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott H
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

The bellows type thermostats have some type of alcohol mixture hermetically sealed inside them.
Unsealed, the bellows is expanded, so when the thermostat was made it was compressed and sealed. If they crack or a solder joint fails, they lose the seal and the bellows defaults to its open position. The misty stuff you're seeing is the alcohol. The thermostat is bad but can be repaired if it's just a failed solder joint.
I believe there are a couple of threads floating around TS on how to repair, and I've also run across webpages with explanations on the repair.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: thermostat question Reply with quote

best bet for reliability is a new unit.

Bug On!

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: