Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1978 Passat B1 Horn Wiring
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
jkolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 10:03 pm    Post subject: 1978 Passat B1 Horn Wiring Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a 1974 dealer service manual (Bentley), and the dealer faithfully installed the updates through 1976, but my 1978 is different.

If anyone has a 1978 wiring diagram, that would be great. Otherwise, if I could just find out what pin numbers on the relay block are for the horn, that would be sufficient.

I have the right hand drive Passat. A German source told me that that means I have the 1977 dashboard instead of the newer 1978 style that the Dashers in the US got. I'm not sure what that means for my relay box and wiring, but the 1976 wiring diagram is definitely wrong for my car.

Thanks.

Last edited by jkolak on Mon May 28, 2018 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
sgnimj96
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Passat B1 Horn Wiring Reply with quote

on my mk1 sciroco the horn ground is the the steering wheel, the the horn has 12v all the time. The steering wheel button is usually the problem.

All that old vw wiring is pretty similar. I have a clymer manual (rabbit 75-81) that has good wiring diagrams included and most the wirings are the same except for california emissions.

Nevertheless, you have a 40 year old car so rewiring stuff and relaying high-amp stuff like headlights is a good idea. It's as simple as car wiring probably gets.

Also, those year manuals are floating around for cheap - lucky you
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Volkswagen-Dasher-Service...SwKOJa-bXw
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1974-1975-1976-1977-Volks...0005.m1851

Amazon has em' too.
jkolak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: 1978 Passat B1 Horn Wiring Reply with quote

Oh! I have that Clymer! I don't know why I didn't think of it, but it matches my 78 Passat!

It's amazing that the 75 Rabbit diagram is right for my 78 Passat, but the 76 Dasher diagram is wrong. I guess it took them a while to bring the Passat up to date with the new standard. In my 76 Dasher wiring diagram, the horn power goes from:

D19 to horn button to E11 to A7 to horn to ground.

In the 78 Passat and 75 Rabbit, it goes from:

A11 to horn to A7 to E11 to horn button to ground

So both diagrams share A7 and E11 in common, but the old style grounds after the horn and the new style grounds after the button.

I was going crazy with nothing at D19 in my plug. Thanks for your help!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: