Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

Hi Friends.

I need new headlamps and over here they cost 140eur each!!
I found out that new headlamps for GOLF are just 9eur each - only problem is that the things need slight modifications to fit in there securely. Generally speaking I am very good at making such mods, so I decided to buy the GOLF headlamps and give it a try > not much to lose if it doesn't work.

So I'm just asking if anyone here has undertaken this challenge and has any tips to offer which might help.

Thanks!
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

Not sure what they look like but there are a few threads on adapting Hella headlamps that are close to the later T3 headlamps, also with inexpensive/easily accessible parts.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Not sure what they look like but there are a few threads on adapting Hella headlamps that are close to the later T3 headlamps, also with inexpensive/easily accessible parts.

Yeah 280eur is just crazy for a couple of headlamps.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

You probably just need the retaining rings to use the Golf lights. Factory 7" E-code T3 lights had the retaining tabs on them, so the rings weren't used.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You probably just need the retaining rings to use the Golf lights. Factory 7" E-code T3 lights had the retaining tabs on them, so the rings weren't used.

OK... hopefully when I get the new lights and take the old ones off it will be clear what I need to modify... hopefully.
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

You won't need to modify anything. You just need the rings.

See the ring?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

No ring.

y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

So this metal ring is what you are talking about? ...and is the only thing missing? It means I would need to make or source these rings? That's it?

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

Yes

y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

This is what I have in there right now. No rings - obviously.
Zoltan (ZsZ) had a look at them last year and said the wiring was VERY bad and that they are actually GOLF headlamps hacked into place.

My main concern for replacing them is hopefully to solve an illusive/chronic grounding issue I have in my wiring system. Otherwise the headlights seem to work fine.

The grounding issue is that my blinker (overheat signal above temp gauge) just blinks all the time. Then when I turn on the headlights the blinker (and ALL DASH LIGHTS go out). Sometimes when I go over a bump all the dash lights come ON again) So some stupid ground is loose or something.

Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

You should run individual grounds for each headlight in addition to the ground stars. Have you checked your ground stars? They're a common source of electrical issues on the T3.

y u rune klassik?
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
You should run individual grounds for each headlight in addition to the ground stars. Have you checked your ground stars? They're a common source of electrical issues on the T3.

That's a good idea to run separate grounds from each light (in addition to the star).

I recently did my best to clean up my star. Didn't seem to help anything.

---

Regarding the retaining ring > which I am missing > after a lot of thinking, I think the best way to make those would be to use a combo of sheetmetal and fiberglass. The sheet metal for the flat outside part - but that curved LIP that grips the light would be too difficult to bend into sheet metal >>> so I think I could make a mould emulating the shape of the light, and build up fiberglass around this... could be fine.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
This is what I have in there right now. No rings - obviously.

Those spotlights Laughing , er crystal clears, are what I just removed from my Cabriolet... replaced them with H4 E-codes.

Anyway, the retaining rings were originally for sealed beam headlamp assemblies, which Euro Golfs did not generally come with. Part #111941049A:

Whole assembly (in crappy condition):

So, if you're getting this headlamp:

...you'll need the trim ring.

If you're getting this headlamp, which Euro Golfs generally came with:

...you'll want to refer to this: http://forum.club8090.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=152519&sid=96c13083a270ae70b59743eb785de0c5 .
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

Wow, thanks Kam for this... it's starting to get clearer now Smile We shall see tomorrow exactly when kind of GOLF lights I will get - and I will take some detailed pics of what is in there now...

111941049A thanks for this part number! But seems pretty costly to buy them separately >>> probably I will make my own from sheet metal and fiberglass...

by the way, this is what I ordered https://www.automobilovedily24.cz/van-wezel/1296047
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

Instead of ordering vehicle specific lights, can't you just buy generic aftermarket 7" E-codes from Hella or Bosch? Bus Depot sells a cheap set of Cibie knock-offs that work pretty good, but they do require the rings.

y u rune klassik?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

I recently installed these LED's and they are a massive upgrade over the e-code H4's with relays and high wattage bulbs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B376YOE?tag=viglink129040-20 Highly recommended plug and play upgrade. You would still need the rings for install.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

Zeitgeist 13 wrote:
Instead of ordering vehicle specific lights, can't you just buy generic aftermarket 7" E-codes from Hella or Bosch? Bus Depot sells a cheap set of Cibie knock-offs that work pretty good, but they do require the rings.

I have no idea... concerning headlights I'm still at moron-status (know nothing). I didn't know you can just put generic lights in there, or that those even existed.

Anyway the 2 that I ordered only cost about $12 each so that must be about as cheap as generic ones?

PS - and I'm pretty resolved to having to make those rings myself.
Should take a few hours.

PSS - I could actually use the lights themselves (covered in masking tape) as a mould for the fiberglass, for a perfect fit.
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
I recently installed these LED's and they are a massive upgrade over the e-code H4's with relays and high wattage bulbs. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01B376YOE?tag=viglink129040-20 Highly recommended plug and play upgrade. You would still need the rings for install.

Hi Andrew Smile

So I'm starting to get the idea that pretty much any 7" light will work - but it is the RING itself that is actually HOLDING the bugger in there?
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
by the way, this is what I ordered https://www.automobilovedily24.cz/van-wezel/1296047

Ah, Golf II headlamp. It's a tad different than the Golf I components, which are what I posted about. You might be able to get them to fit and and you may not need the trim/retaining rings.

And, yes, those retaining rings are expensive! I looked into getting pretty "new" ones for my Cabriolet... until I saw the prices. So, just cleaned up the originals.
2016 Golf GTI S
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

epowell wrote:
So I'm starting to get the idea that pretty much any 7" light will work - but it is the RING itself that is actually HOLDING the bugger in there?

Headlamp insert (no mounting tabs): ring required

Headlamp with mounting tabs: no ring required
2016 Golf GTI S
epowell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Modifying GOLF headlamps to fit to '81 T3 Reply with quote

kamzcab86 wrote:

Headlamp insert (no mounting tabs): ring required

Headlamp with mounting tabs: no ring required

So somehow ADDING mounting tabs to the headlamp housing could also work? [probably just getting ahead of myself here >>> will wait til tomorrow to see what I got] Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: