Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbucci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Most large trucks use sight glasses in the pressure tank to quickly check coolant levels. Usually 2 to represent the full and low levels. These could be added to a new/ used RMW tank and would make a great addition. Even better if the tank came with them installed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Only one would be needed. Anything less than full is low.
andrew163980
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

lbucci wrote:
Most large trucks use sight glasses in the pressure tank to quickly check coolant levels. Usually 2 to represent the full and low levels. These could be added to a new/ used RMW tank and would make a great addition. Even better if the tank came with them installed.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

That is a great idea. thank you.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

How would we add a sight glass? Wouldn't one have to drill, tap, and collet? Or am I ignorant of something?

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

msinabottle wrote:
How would we add a sight glass? Wouldn't one have to drill, tap, and collet? Or am I ignorant of something?

Best!

Drill a hole and weld a bung over it that fits the visual sensor threads.

Dave

Karmann Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

86 Vanagon Westy "Weekender" 2.1 Auto
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Syncronoid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

He said "bung". Laughing
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

[quote="djkeev"]
msinabottle wrote:

Best!

You of course need to get the correct size:

https://www.google.com/search?q=aluminum+weld+bung...mp;bih=600
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock coolant tank vs. RMW's The Tank Reply with quote

Now to see if RMW adds this to later versions of their tank.

It is tempting to replace the old plastic tank when you learn how hard it is to find a good pressure cap (just rolled back from my FLAPS where I tested one I ordered right at the counter and pronounced it DOA). I have an OEM one on the way but I figured if I had two, that was better. I expect the replacement they find will be no better but maybe I'll be surprised.

Currently -> Frida: 87 Titian Red (mostly) Vanagon GL Westfalia w/ 2LR Tiico conversion
Formerly -> Steward of a 73 Super Beetle (Beater) and 67 Beetle 1300 (Little Max) both names by POs
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: