Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
FatBuoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out Reply with quote

Hi all-

New Thing owner here.

Can you think of a reason #1 and #2 cylinders are not firing? I'm getting spark from the distributor to the wires, but when pulling the wires, there is no difference in engine idle, so something is amiss. We just bought the car, and she ran fine for about 10 miles, then all of a sudden, big loss of power.

Update-I changed the plugs and wires, but now it won't even idle. I used NGK and they are gapped at .026 Also checked the cap/rotor. They look good.

What else should I do/check? Pretty frustrated that this happened so quickly.

Sure would appreciate guidance.

Thanks!
ldj1002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out Reply with quote

Give your location, maybe someone will come over and have a look see.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FatBuoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out Reply with quote

ldj1002 wrote:
Give your location, maybe someone will come over and have a look see.

THAT would be awesome!

Grapevine, TX.
carsdlt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out Reply with quote

Check your firing order...Carefully!

"If it works, don't fix it....let it break on its own."
FatBuoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out Reply with quote

Problem solved. Two pushrods on the 1/2 side had jumped out of the rocker arm cups. Got em back in, set the valve lash, and vroooom!

I'm just shocked that it was running like that and it didn't damage anything!

Is that fairly common? The pushrods jumping out of place? How far off do they have to be before that happens?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out Reply with quote

FatBuoy wrote:
Problem solved. Two pushrods on the 1/2 side had jumped out of the rocker arm cups. Got em back in, set the valve lash, and vroooom!

Is that fairly common? The pushrods jumping out of place? How far off do they have to be before that happens?

You may have a tank of ancient ethanol lace fuel, the stuff doesn't age well and can cause all kinds of grief including total engine failure. You may well be getting a gummy buildup on the valve stems that can cause the valves to hang open which would cause the pushrods to get out of place. This can also cause the pistons to collide with the stuck open valves which can be very costly. When I fire up an engine that has been sitting for more than a couple of months without having consumed a tank of fuel I add enough synthetic motor oil to the fuel tank to give me at least a 50:1 fuel oil mix, I also add FI/Carb cleaner to the tank.

If the fuel has been sitting for more than 6 months then without stabilizer having been added, you might as well plan on draining the tank and starting with fresh fuel.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
FatBuoy wrote:

You may have a tank of ancient ethanol lace fuel, the stuff doesn't age well and can cause all kinds of grief including total engine failure. You may well be getting a gummy buildup on the valve stems that can cause the valves to hang open which would cause the pushrods to get out of place. This can also cause the pistons to collide with the stuck open valves which can be very costly. When I fire up an engine that has been sitting for more than a couple of months without having consumed a tank of fuel I add enough synthetic motor oil to the fuel tank to give me at least a 50:1 fuel oil mix, I also add FI/Carb cleaner to the tank.

If the fuel has been sitting for more than 6 months then without stabilizer having been added, you might as well plan on draining the tank and starting with fresh fuel.

X2 on the additives for ethanol fuel, I have used Seafoam and Marvel mystery oil, but mostly use the marvel now due to cost, Walmart's got it for about 15bucks a gallon.

Seafoam was running about 55$+ a gallon got a bit pricy.

Question hey Wildthings, what brand/type are you using? just curious.

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out Reply with quote

doublecanister wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
FatBuoy wrote:

X2 on the additives for ethanol fuel, I have used Seafoam and Marvel mystery oil, but mostly use the marvel now due to cost, Walmart's got it for about 15bucks a gallon.

Seafoam was running about 55$+ a gallon got a bit pricy.

Question hey Wildthings, what brand/type are you using? just curious.

T

For an upper cylinder wall/valve stem lube, I just use whatever synthetic oil I have laying about. It needs to be mixed 50/50 with gas before pouring it into the tank so it disperses better into the rest of the fuel, instead of settling to the bottom of the tank. For FI cleaner I just use Lucas as I can get it in a gallon container cheaply. The Lucas is not very effective at removing the hard crusty deposits that can build up in the jets though, need to find a way to handle this problem without having to open the carb and physically remove the jets for cleaning.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: New Thing- 10 miles and 1 and 2 cylinders out Reply with quote

Shocked I've used two stroke boat gas for those old storage motors. It has a lot of detergent in it and real slippery. And- burns away clean with out leaving deposits.

If its in a boat can, you can use to diagnose fuel supply problems with out fear of a 5 gallon can turning over on the corners- another plus.

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: