Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

BMW E30 high/low headlights and South African grille
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: BMW E30 high/low headlights and South African grille Reply with quote

I heard about this conversion recently that it is possible to install the high/low lights from an E30 in the inner position of the SA grille kit. Any info or details to share? It would be slick. They are high quality and projector style.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Thank you!
Steve
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: BMW E30 high/low headlights and South African grille Reply with quote

That whole grille would look pretty slick on a van. The E30 was one of the best cars they ever produced.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
Stuartzickefoose
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: BMW E30 high/low headlights and South African grille Reply with quote

So to be more specific...the low beam projector headlight into the high beam spot on the Van. Right?

Wink

2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDi 6 speed manual

206-841-7324
[email protected]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hardway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: BMW E30 high/low headlights and South African grille Reply with quote

I have owned an 88 e30 for a long time. The outboard (ellipsoid) headlights have only one bulb and only one beam pattern. The low beams remain on when the high beams are on.

The very first thing I did to my car was to replace the headlights because the ellipsoids are horrible. I replaced the buckets with sealed beam buckets from a lower trim line e30. I installed Cibie CSR headlamps into the buckets. I got the CSRs from Daniel Stern lighting consultancy. They are far superior to the ellipsoids. Even a standard H4 reflector would be superior to the ellipsoids.

The inner headlights on the SA grille should be high beams. The inner high beam lights on the ellipsoid lights were fine. But they don't hold a candle to the inboard CSR pencils that I have on the 325iX now.

Harold
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: BMW E30 high/low headlights and South African grille Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I heard about this conversion recently that it is possible to install the high/low lights from an E30 in the inner position of the SA grille kit. Any info or details to share? It would be slick. They are high quality and projector style.

I'm going out to the garage to investigate this shortly.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: BMW E30 high/low headlights and South African grille Reply with quote

hardway wrote:
I have owned an 88 e30 for a long time. The outboard (ellipsoid) headlights have only one bulb and only one beam pattern. The low beams remain on when the high beams are on.

The very first thing I did to my car was to replace the headlights because the ellipsoids are horrible. I replaced the buckets with sealed beam buckets from a lower trim line e30. I installed Cibie CSR headlamps into the buckets. I got the CSRs from Daniel Stern lighting consultancy. They are far superior to the ellipsoids. Even a standard H4 reflector would be superior to the ellipsoids.

The inner headlights on the SA grille should be high beams. The inner high beam lights on the ellipsoid lights were fine. But they don't hold a candle to the inboard CSR pencils that I have on the 325iX now.

Harold

This is true! These are a DOT spec ellipsoid light of the 80's, not a DE or E spec ellipsoid. An H4 puts out better lumens.
Robw_z
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: BMW E30 high/low headlights and South African grille Reply with quote

The E30 projector headlights are very deep and there is a bulkhead behind the drivers side of the grill it would bump into.

The inner lights of on an SA grill are technically redundant, so I’ve thought of cutting down the back-side of an E30 headlight to make it fit but not function. I’m totally that kind of guy. It would look cool in the daytime.

-Rob
bstein
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: BMW E30 high/low headlights and South African grille Reply with quote

Robw_z wrote:
The E30 projector headlights are very deep and there is a bulkhead behind the drivers side of the grill it would bump into.

I just took a look at this ...

The inner lights of on an SA grill are technically redundant, so I’ve thought of cutting down the back-side of an E30 headlight to make it fit but not function. I’m totally that kind of guy. It would look cool in the daytime.

The low beam is very deep and definitely would not fit, but the high beam on my 89 M3 is barely deeper than the SA high beam and looks like it would work.

Brian
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: