Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Is it just smoke or does it have a fair amount of pressure? If it has significant pressure then you are probably looking at a ring job or having to punch the block oversize & source a set of pistons.

I have a block now that has almost a dime thick ridge on the cylinder walls. The rings were worn to a third of their thickness & while it ran great once started, it was a bitch to light it off.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Just checked and oh yeah....Lots of pressure. I plugged the vent with my thumb for about 3 seconds and it started venting from the dipstick! Looks like I'm gonna be pulling the engine again d'oh! I'm hoping its just the rings but we will see. Probably gonna do the valve seals while I'm at it.
TDCTDI
Samba Advocatus Diaboli

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

The valve seals won't cause crank case pressure issues, but they can cause some smoke upon start-up as the oil above the valve weeps down into the intake/exhaust/cylinder, this is not as noticeable on a diesel as it would be in a gas engine. If the seals are shot, your guides are likely to be whipped also, expect on doing a valve job. Also expect to see cracks in the head between the intake & exhaust valves on all cylinders as this is common & not really an issue unless severe.

DO NOT throw the head gasket away until you have determined what thickness it is first, in fact, keep it until the vehicle is running again, just in case.

GOFUNDYOURSELF, quit asking everyone to do it for you!

An air cooled VW will make you a hoarder.

Do something, anything, to your project every day, and you will eventually complete it.
82WestySD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Diesel Engine in my 81 Rabbit Reply with quote

Thanks man - looks like I'll have my work cut out for me!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: