Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Panel Prep for new floor pans
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Panel Prep for new floor pans Reply with quote

I am working on replacing my floor pans and the napoleon hat on my pan. I am grinding/sanding through to get the hat off as it's leaving me a solid portion underneath.

The flat parts for the hat to weld too have surface rust and pitting as over the years water got it there. I will wire brush it will, but was thinking about using Eastwood's Post weld treatment as it's a mild phosphoric acid solution then using their weldable primer so under the welds it has some protection.

Is this a good approach? I know some phosphoric acid solutions discolor, but I don't know if that will weld. This Eastwood stuff seems to not discolor and leaves the metal looking pretty clean.

Thanks for any help you can offer.
Tim
67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Panel Prep for new floor pans Reply with quote

Try not to replace the whole hat... the aftermarket piece needs major work to fit right. I think you should use copper weld through, I hear it is better than regular weld through primer. Why not just use phosphoric acid too clean it up? It's easily available from Home Depot/ Lowes. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Miracle-Sealants-32-oz...YgodgBsKRA
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel Prep for new floor pans Reply with quote

^^^Interesting find at home depot. This is the one i always buy.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klean-Strip-1-gal-Phos...7Brest%7D+

I would sand blast the area, do my welding then grind, prep and paint. Eastwood has an internal frame coating if you are concerned with inside tunnel.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Casting Timmy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel Prep for new floor pans Reply with quote

THanks, I'll get some of that stuff from Home Depot instead of Eastwood. Probably get some interior tunnel coat later when I get it back together.
theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Panel Prep for new floor pans Reply with quote

I have read where weld-able primer has a lot of zinc in it and that some people just use spay cold compound zinc from Rustoleum as a substitute. I have never tested it so I don't have a personal opinion on it.
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Panel Prep for new floor pans Reply with quote

I feel it's best to do it the way VW did it . . .
Weld clean, bare steel . . . then paint it!
I have never considered using "weld-through" primer after reading of folks ending up with contaminated welds . . . I would rather have to replace the pans again in thirty years than have them come loose next year!

After I finished welding, I applied some thinned paint directly INTO the joints using a "hypodermic applicator" . . . capillary action pulls the paint right in like magic! https://www.gauntindustries.com/5-oz-products/?sort=featured&page=3
Sprayed the entire chassis, then applied seam sealer to joints after paint cured . . .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

theKbStockpiler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Panel Prep for new floor pans Reply with quote

You don't acctually weld through Weld-Thu Primer. It's best used in areas you can't paint after the panel or patch is welded in.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: