Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Leaking coolant from 1.9 bleeder valve junction
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Leaking coolant from 1.9 bleeder valve junction Reply with quote

My van is leaking coolant from the bleeder valve. It is the new metal version that has the fittings for an automatic trans cooler which are capped because my van is a manual. One of the caps is cracked. Where can I find this part?

Last edited by vegpedlr on Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Without seeing it, I would expect they used a common pipe plug that you could get at the local hardware store. My guess is 1/4 pipe or maybe 3/8ths pipe. Bring the good one with you assuming you have drained the cooling system.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If not, contact the supplier.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. It seems like a generic part, not something proprietary. This is the part I have:
http://www.van-cafe.com/home/van/page_672_221/aluminum-bleeder-valve-junction-1.9l.html
It is one of the black end caps that has cracked.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same part w/ the caps. If one of mine leaked I would start by calling Van Café and seeing if they can provide a replacement or suggest a source.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
I have the same part w/ the caps. If one of mine leaked I would start by calling Van Café and seeing if they can provide a replacement or suggest a source.

Thanks. After calling someone else, it dawned on me to call VC. Duh, they make the part. They suggested a NAPA part no. for a U-shaped hose to replace both caps as a bridge.
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe they are "waterpump" plugs looking at the picture. They do fail. Napa should have an assortment that are probably better quality. A loop of heater hose would probably hold up better.
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it.

NAPA had both the hose suggested by VC and the caps that were there originally. I bought them both to see what installed easiest. After removing the cracked cap, I realized that the other cap was starting to crack, so I pulled them both and went with the hose which is heavier. Tightened it all up, pressure tested it and bled it with my GW pressurization tool. Ran it around at operating temp and so far, so good. No leaks. I'll need to top off the coolant and bleed it again I'm sure.
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you happen to have NAPA part numbers for those?

Sounds like something I should have on board. Thanks!
vegpedlr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
Do you happen to have NAPA part numbers for those?

Sounds like something I should have on board. Thanks!

The replacement caps come in a pack of two 5/8" "Heater Hose Bypass Cap"
Part # NOE6601696

The U-shaped hose recommended by VC was part #10777, which is a short radiator hose. I cut off about and inch and slipped it right on. Then did it again because I forgot the clamps!

Worth having on board because those little caps are a bit flimsy. One of these burst on me on I-40 near Williams last summer, beginning a long cooling system struggle, which I thought was over when I had the head gaskets redone. I'm hoping that this is just a hangover from before the gaskets were replaced, that the caps were already weakened and a few more months of driving cracked one. Smooth sailing from now on, right?
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: ALUMINUM BLEEDER VALVE JUNCTION 1.9L Reply with quote

To bump an old thread, I hope to install one of these next week that I bought on sale from Van Cafe, not long before the merger.

Mine came with the rubber 'U' and good German non-abrading hose clamps installed. Reading this thread carefully, it would seem that is a good thing, since Winston is a manual.

My question is--Is the bleeder screw that bolt on the second 'step' below the vertical nipple?

I have used the plastic knob for a bit of bleeding on the system. If it is, I wonder if I could or should put a washer and a 'thumbscrew' knob in the place of the current bolt, which appears to rest upon 'form-a-gasket' sealant.

Better to fret NOW, I think...

Shocked

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant from 1.9 bleeder valve junction Reply with quote

That bolt is the bleeder. I’ve never had mine leak. The bolt is really no different than the bolt on the radiator.

Honestly it’s always bugged me why they don’t just machine two versions of this part. The setup cost per run has to be less than the cost of the hose and clamp arrangement.

Oh wait, I see now in your picture that they are using the one hose nipple as an access point to drill the hole for the small hose vent hole.
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant from 1.9 bleeder valve junction Reply with quote

Thank you, that is genuinely helpful. So you just use a wrench, which I do have, and it re-seals back on the 'Form-a-Gasket?'

And... Mike LaBate just called from RMW and said it should re-seal fine on the gasketing material, but if it doesn't, it should just be a small leak I could handle easily with a washer or the like.

I very much appreciate the prompt, informed input from all involved.

Best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Yellow Rabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant from 1.9 bleeder valve junction Reply with quote

I don’t remember mine having any sealant. I swear there is a washer under the bolt head. It’s been a while though.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant from 1.9 bleeder valve junction Reply with quote

The current photos show they stopped using the caps and hoses and instead tapped threads into the fittings.

I'm going to drill and tap mine for aluminum pipe plugs and if you still have the rubber caps I'd suggest you do the same. One less thing to worry about.

My rubber caps were leaking and close to failure after only 7ish years.
MayorMcCheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant from 1.9 bleeder valve junction Reply with quote

Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Leaking coolant from 1.9 bleeder valve junction Reply with quote

I have not had good experience with rubber caps from a FLAPS for this type of use. They tend to not be reinforced and thus fail catastrophically with time. Tapping the outlet is certainly a good idea, making a neat looking fix.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: