Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
DrewBoughtaVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

My name is Drew and I just traded my way into a 1966 Beetle. I knew going in that someone had been messing with it but I am hoping this crew can point out the things I don't see.... hopefully it's not a total abortion. It's only metal right? I've played around with American cars for 20 years and always wanted a Beetle.

So, what I know for sure that the builder was going for one look and the guy I got it from wasn't... resulting in confusion and conflict.

So on to the car.......
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It's a 1966 Beetle. It's been lowered. It has a custom 2 tone. I know it has the "Cal look" windows with no vent windows. The rear windows do not pop out. And it's on 14 inch wheels with VW caps and what look like 4 rear tires to me (fronts need to be shorter). And I'm not sold on the tint yet.....

The original builder had it on Porsche phone dial wheels. 7s and 8s maybe based on what I learned from the guy I bought it from. He didn't like how low it was so he raised the front end back up... partially to clear giant tires which rub bad on the inside rear of the wheels under lock turns.

Inside I know it has an Empi short throw shifter.

And other than that it looks pretty stock. It's missing some trim from the glove box door and the ashtray.

I poked around on the front suspension trying to figure out why it seems to ride so poorly.... there are no front shocks. So I continued to investigate and found there is not even an upper mount on the beam. The beam measured out at around 27 inches. From what I have been reading that means it's been shortened 4 inches. Do I need front shocks? How can I smooth it out a hair?

I ran the numbers on the engine. It appears to be a single barrel carb on a 1500. It runs strong but dies occasionally when you push the clutch in at a stop sign, just does like electrical problem more than a fuel problem.

Anyways,.... I got the car from the Sacramento area. If anyone is familiar with it or knows the builder please contact me. I'm ready to dive head first into this car and make it a fun, safe daily driver. I just am very ignorant to VW and came here to ask for some help.

I traded a 62 Corvair Monza 900 Convertible for this Bug. Not new to air cooled or 60s cars, just need to learn VW. And figure out what type of Mongrel I've drug home to sort out.

I haven't learned yet, buying someone else's project can be a killer.

Thanks and I hope I can learn a thing or two.
DrewBoughtaVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:19 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

Sorry about the funky lighting, I was getting full evening sun. The first 3 are of the beam. Honestly, I don't know if that's one someone cut up or a stock one or an aftermarket one. I didn't see any brand names on it but it appears to be powdercoated. It measures at 27 inches and some change.

And on the wheels, is that a factory spacer or is that something someone added?

Thank you for any help. I'm just trying to build some knowledge and get out and enjoy this car.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

It's not clear what the question is, as you seem to have summed up the car pretty well.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DrewBoughtaVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

I guess the question is, what should I be looking for on this car? I posted a couple of pics of the front axle/beam and I'm not sure if anyone can tell if it's a stock beam cut up or if it's an aftermarket one.

What are some things i should be aware of with this type of lowering? The rear seems to just flex the tires, no real suspension movement at all.

I guess I kinda hope the original builder is a Samba member and can tell me what parts are on it.

Anything anyone can add at this point would be a big help.
Ratt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 4:48 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

Nice score and welcome to the club.
Your beam is narrowed 4-6" hard to tell by the pictures. It is adjustable so you can bring the front end down a bit. Those two plates in the middle are the adjusters. They change the preload on the spring packs. Loosen the nuts and rotate the plates downwards will lower the front end.

Looks like you've already got 2" drop spindles on the front too.

As for wheels. the bug should have come with 15" wide 5s. There are a few options for tires. Jbugs.com has a good discussion on sizes in their tire section. I run 17x7s on my 66. With a 2" narrowed adjustable beam and 2.5" drop spindles. I love the look, but to each their own. The 17s rub a tiny bit.

As for the rear, I cant see what the suspension looks like, but if its stock, you can reindex the swing plates to level the ride height once you drop the front.

That spacer isn't factory. That's a 1" spacer for running the wrong offset wheels. With the 17s I mentioned before, I run those 1" spacers to keep my rear tires from rubbing on the body. The previous owner probably has those so you can turn since that beam is narrow.

If this is your first ACVW, I recommend getting a copy of the book by John Muir "How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive for the Complete Idiot". Its a very useful tool.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

I had a bug in high school and totaled it☹️Ever since I’ve wanted another one. I’m now 45 and have my bug. I’m very happy!
You’ve done your homework-good job!
Do what you want with it-it’s your car. I like the two tone but do t care for the tint. Maybe a smoke tint?
Otherwise looks good to me man! “Bug on”!!!
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
I had a bug in high school and totaled it☹️Ever since I’ve wanted another one. I’m now 45 and have my bug. I’m very happy!
You’ve done your homework-good job!
Do what you want with it-it’s your car. I like the two tone but do t care for the tint. Maybe a smoke tint?
Otherwise looks good to me man! “Bug on”!!!

I don’t care much for spacers though
DrewBoughtaVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

Awesome! Thank you for that info. I had just ordered a 2.5 spindle kit from JBugs.... I'll probably cancel that now. How can I double check that those are drop spindles? Is there no issue with shocks or is it just too narrow for shocks?
DrewBoughtaVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

Here are a few more pics

DrewBoughtaVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 9:00 pm    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

Played with the beam and put on new tires. Fronts are 175/60 14. Still rubs a bit at full lock but what a big difference.
Letterman7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

Nice looking Bug. It looks like it was done relatively well - get in and enjoy it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
J Flare
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: New to VWs, help me figure this Beetle out Reply with quote

I would suggest going to at least one of these events......

June 01, 2018 - June 10, 2018 - Southern California VW Week!
Southern, California Facebook Twitter

The first week of June is officially the "SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA VW WEEK"

Make those vacation plans, this is the best time to visit Southern California to experience the Vintage VW hobby like nowhere else.

Here is the schedule:

June 1 - Just Cruzin Cruise Night
6pm - Burger Town USA, Ontario

June 2 - RVA VW d’Elegance Car Show
9am - Old World Village, Huntington Beach

June 2 - BUG-IN opens up to Campers
4pm - Auto Club Speedway, Fontana

June 3 - 50th Anniversary BUG-IN #43
7am - Auto Club Speedway, Fontana

June 5 - German Dinner Cruise Night
6pm - Phoenix Club, Anaheim

June 6 - Blackstar Campout Begins
8am - Prado Regional Park, Chino

June 7 - West Coast Bays Potluck Dinner
6pm - Space #42 Prado Regional Park, Chino

June 9 - O.C.T.O. VW Bus Show
6am - Veterans Memorial Stadium, Long Beach

June 9 - ISP West Open House and BBQ
2pm - ISP West HQ, Carson

June 10 - El Prado Show & Shine
7am - Prado Regional Park, Chino

DON'T MISS OUT!!! Mark those calendars!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: