Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clear coat over base
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 3:15 pm    Post subject: Clear coat over base Reply with quote

I’m doing a total restoration on my Thing. I intend to paint it Avocado Green. I know this was a semi-gloss one-stage paint back when. Now the procedure is a base and clear. The clear has different levels of gloss.

Has anybody done this to achieve the semi-gloss, and what level of clear did you use?
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Clear coat over base Reply with quote

PPG has a chart that you can see what they look like. Keep in mine that the finish will look like a bad paint job. If you use PPG Concept single stage the formula for Avocado has the flattener in it already. If you use a base/clear the flattener can be added to the clear. We have talked about restoring back to semi-gloss at shows before and all agreed to paint to todays show standard, glossy. If you were restoring a model T would you but varnish on the body and paint the brass flat black like they left the factory. The AACA, Antique Automotive Club accepts modern paints as a way to restore. Now the other areas of the Thing will not look good in gloss such as all the black parts, engine pan etc. This is were we use semi gloss. Our website has a lot of pictures to look at. Can't remember if we have pics of the green car we restored but if not Dennis will post some next week to see what the semi gloss. www.kubeltreffen181.com Hope this helps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Clear coat over base Reply with quote

We have pictures of the green car in the photos section under " Garys Indy Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Clear coat over base Reply with quote

Ron,
Couldn’t find it.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Clear coat over base Reply with quote

Couldn't find the site or the pics.? On the site on the left side you will see Photo Galleries Then go down almost to the end and there is a green Thing by an airplane.

Last edited by Ron Domeck on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
4118thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Clear coat over base Reply with quote

Got it. My bad. I was looking at theSamba gallery. Is this single stage or base with a semigloss clear. Hard to tell from the pics.
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Clear coat over base Reply with quote

PPG Concept single stage semi gloss
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: