Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tiger striping in metallic paint
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68 T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:23 pm    Post subject: Tiger striping in metallic paint Reply with quote

I'm having problems with tiger striping in my paint job I don't know if it's the paint I'm using (duplicolor paint shop) or I'm holding the paint gun too close or don't have it set right but I can't get away from tiger striping with the blue metallic. Does anybody have any suggestions this is driving me crazy having some areas darker than others.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger striping in metallic paint Reply with quote

Sounds like a single stage issue.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger striping in metallic paint Reply with quote

you need to keep a consistent distance from the panel, then do multiple directions, then a drop coat for metallic orientation.

I bet you're painting left to right, or up and down. can't do that. it's hard to explain... but it's all in the wrist.

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
68 T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger striping in metallic paint Reply with quote

I'm new to this what's a drop coat? It is a base clear paint.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger striping in metallic paint Reply with quote

68 T1 wrote:
I'm new to this what's a drop coat? It is a base clear paint.

https://youtu.be/hqPh0MQQ6Iw
68 T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger striping in metallic paint Reply with quote

So my problem is holding the gun too close and going side to side and up and down gotcha. Any more tips from pros?
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger striping in metallic paint Reply with quote

When I do a translucent job, I mix the whole batch and the final coat is diluted and the air pressure is a bit high. And well wrist action.
FOG IT!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger striping in metallic paint Reply with quote

the guy in the video is using a $1,000.00+ gun.....

something tells me you aren't.

are you sure your tip size is proper for metallic? because if you're using a 1.0 and it calls for a 1.5-1.7......that .5 or .7 is a HUGE difference.

for a novice metallic sprayer, here is what I would suggest.

do your first coat left to right. let it flash. second coat on a 45* angle, starting at top left, to bottom right. 3rd coat at a 45* angle starting from top right to bottom left. see what it looks like. if you do a drop coat, back up, and do left to right.

so...paint like this: -------- \\\\\\\\ //////////

reason being is you want to have good coverage. like a cross hatch pattern if you will

DO NOT panel paint....this is for an overall. reason being, you will change the pitch of the metallic.

personally, I don't like the way the guy in the video painted. he didn't connect the panels on his first few coats, but kind of did on the drop coat. to his own admission, it works for HIM....painting has it's own style for sure

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Tiger striping in metallic paint Reply with quote

one thing you need to check is the spray pattern of the gun ....spray it briefly at a piece of cardboard...you dont want it to be a circle like a spray can...or the other extereme like a figure 8...just as large an even oval as you can get (your gun has adjustments for this)....how good a pattern you get has a lot to do with how good a gun you have.... too close or far away affects this as well as air pressure...the stripes are from too much paint in some spots and not enough in others from not overlapping the passes the correct amount...and the lacquer drys so fast that you can get dry overspray at the top and bottom of each pass which will change the texture of the paint and the metallic flakes will not lay down evenly...maybe you need to add some retarder to the paint so it flows better...you may be going too fast, not putting on enough paint to flow into the previous pass...lacquer dries so fast its hard to blend but almost impossible to run...unfortunately you'll just have to keep trying till you hit on a rhythm that works....and technique for lacquer , enamel and urethane all differ....urethane uses different activators depending on temp to make the paint dry at the correct speed...lacquer thinner you have to add retarder to slow it down...and humidity will give you problems too as moisture in the air supply gets trapped in the paint and cant evaporate out before the surface dries, causing a greyish haze called blushing... saw you're in la...believe me heat, humidity and lacquer dont play well together
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: