Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newbie with wiring harness question
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Newbie with wiring harness question Reply with quote

New owner of a 73 Thing here!

I’m in the process of retiring the car with new harnesses from The Thing Shop. So far I noticed that the headlight harness they provided has an extra light blue wire in the harness that goes down to the horn. It also has 2 extra wires behind the dash that come out of the harness in a separate sheath - one is blue that I assume is the same one that I mentioned above, and the other is green. Anyone know what these are for? They don’t show in the wiring diagram.

Thanks!
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with wiring harness question Reply with quote

That's confusing. The horn wire is not blue. Just out of curiosity what are some of the other wire colors bundled with the blue wire that you think goes to the horn?
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with wiring harness question Reply with quote

In the new harness, There are 3 wires in the bundle that breaks off from the harness and goes through the fender wall down to the horn area. It has the correct black/yellow wire and a brown ground wire for the horn, but there is also the blue wire that wasn’t in the original harness which only had 2 wires.

On the dash end of the harness, a separate 2 wire bundle breaks off of the harness near the fuse box area with the blue wire and a green wire - long enough to reach to about the center of the dash. I haven’t tested with a meter yet but I’m pretty sure it is the same blue wire going to the horn area. The green wire does not come out of the harness anywhere else - again I’ll have to test with a meter to see what it could be tied to.
germanbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with wiring harness question Reply with quote

They could be putting extra wires in for Fog or Driving lights. It is there if you need it or just tape it back and don't use it.
GB
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with wiring harness question Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply. That was my guess too and I just taped them off.
Dougster43
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Newbie with wiring harness question Reply with quote

So just to follow up in case anyone else gets a front harness from the Thing Shop. The extra blue wire goes from the center of the dash down to the horn area. It could be used for fog lights although it’s not a very heavy wire - maybe 14-16 ga.

The green wire that also goes to the center of the dash ties into ground somewhere in the harness. I plan to use it for the ground on my fog light switch indicator light.

Maybe that will help someone in the future.

I’m doing the rear and instrument harnesses now. So far everything checking out except one wire for dash lights had the wrong connector on the light switch end.
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with wiring harness question Reply with quote

I’m having the same problem with the dash wiring too. The illumination wiring, grey with red tracer makes no sense. I just started a post for that info.
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Newbie with wiring harness question Reply with quote

On my harness the green wire comes out of my harness inside trunk area on the passenger side just before the wiring exits to the front fender/headlight bucket. I was told that green wire is for the passenger fog light and the blue one with the horn wires was for the drivers side one. No need to run ground as the lights are single wire and the lights them self ground to the bumper.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: