Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

need rubber help fast
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody takes the time to look at a German seal and an aftermarket there is a bug difference in how they are molded. The German seals have 3 ribs on the inside of the inner lip to help seal, whereas the aftermarket, incliding the OE Brazilian ones don't have the 3 sealing ribs. I will never state that an aftermarket seal won't leak but I WILL state that a German seal on a good sealing surface will not leak. This has been proven many times over by people that have used them here in the U S and also in Europe(where it does rain quite often.
Come by and see me at OCTO and I will show you the difference. I should have WCM, WW, Brazilian and German windshield seals with me
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
60freak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight hi-jack, sorry---Splitpile, will you have any split bus front door window rubber "rebuild" kits at the classic? I need to re-seal the front doors' window rubber/felts/seals, the whole she-bang, including the windshield seals & rear hatch....basically the entire bus.
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:
If anybody takes the time to look at a German seal and an aftermarket there is a bug difference in how they are molded. The German seals have 3 ribs on the inside of the inner lip to help seal, whereas the aftermarket, incliding the OE Brazilian ones don't have the 3 sealing ribs. I will never state that an aftermarket seal won't leak but I WILL state that a German seal on a good sealing surface will not leak. This has been proven many times over by people that have used them here in the U S and also in Europe(where it does rain quite often.
Come by and see me at OCTO and I will show you the difference. I should have WCM, WW, Brazilian and German windshield seals with me

Yes, but will you be selling roofing supplies as well? I have a bus that's developing a roof leak.. Laughing
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just use some tar on that. Cleans up with WD-40!
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok today i got my seals for the local shop that is a wcm distributer. i was thinking of using a combination of the rubber sealent compound that
j(dot)pickens mentioned and the sealent that evilbus mentioned in conjunction. now about this tar does it dry. i know this maybe a stupid question but id havent recived a real answer and no one has mentioned it yet. so does tar dry up and crack or does it stay in its tar state forever?

another thing is, do i really have to razor blade the old seals to get them off and the windows out and when i put them back in does the string technique that the auto glass guys use, does that work on bus front seals?

thanks

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EvilBus
Samba Art Critic

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just cut them out. Roofing Mastic does harden as does roofing tar. Real tar, like used on roads and on old ships, must be heated until it boils to apply it properly.

I think the recommendations were based upon roofing mastic and the tube stuff, which is also a mastic.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vw-in-neptune,
Tar does dry where exposed to the air, but under the seal it stays between wet and rock hard dry. At least that is our finding when replacing one window after six years.
You can just put your feet against the glass and shove, this will save the nasty old rotten seals and ruin the glass though!
We tried string and it acted more like a saw blade against the soft rubber cutting it. Look in the Volkswagen Workshop Manual for installing winddows.
If you need to get a Volkswagen Workshop Manual for your year and type of VW. Go to: http://www.clubvw.corvallis.or.us/wetwesties/books.html
and then near the top of that webpage click on "For ANY Book not listed here, go directly to Amazon.com, and still benefit our VW club!". Going this way helps support a VW camping group.
When you get to Amazon.com, do a search for "Volkswagen Workshop Manual" The ones you want to look at are paperback with dark blue covers and white lettering on them.
Yes, at first glance they are expensive, but they are up to 800 pages of images and info!!! So about five times the info of other manuals.
Eric&Barb
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: