Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

MKA14690 Rebuild
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
amazeer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject: MKA14690 Rebuild Reply with quote

This weekend I got inspired and started attacking the rebuild of my 56. I've had the car for about 25 years. When I bought it in my 20s It was going to be a cal looker. Other things got in the way. First I built a turbo bus, then a turbo fastback, and now that I have become old 36hp excites me. The plan now is to go pretty close to a restoration. Its not a matching number car so I dont have to go silly on it. I dont like the original Manly Tan colour so that will change, but I will go back to correct 4 tab bonnet... time will tell how close it gets to original.

The previous owner was using it as a drag car and it was sitting on a semi-auto pan. About 10 years ago I dropped it back on a period correct swing axle pan and thats as far as I got. I moved house 9 years ago and parked it against a wall. 3 years ago I was going to give it a shot at being ready for its 60th birthday and nothing happened.

But this weekend it did happen. All the glass and door hardware is out. Removed most of the interior trimming and spent considerable time on the back seat tar boards. Cracked open the heater muffler. It was cool to be an archaeologist uncovering things that havent been seen for 62 years.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

as it was when I first got it

today

ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: MKA14690 Rebuild Reply with quote

RHD, Semaphore car... a great starting point.
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
henry roberts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: MKA14690 Rebuild Reply with quote

was that stan podjoys car "the flying flea" or something like that?

kind of an interesting car in its own right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
amazeer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: MKA14690 Rebuild Reply with quote

henry roberts wrote:
was that stan podjoys car "the flying flea" or something like that?

Before me it was owned by Michael Carr who ran a business on the side importing performance parts from the US to AUS. Kafer Sport Racing. It wasn't used for long as far as I recall. Maybe one or 2 years at Club VW Sydney nationals drags at Oran Park around 1992. He called it Underdog. It had white sign writing and yellow wheels. I have no idea of its history before then.

I don't have any pictures of it in its previous lives sadly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: