Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pepco Speedwell USA Supercharger thread
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just simple math. if you have a 45hp engine. and the blower is for about that hp. this thing is just to heat your intake temp.

go more blower ratio.
let us know how it works.
andy rowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think bolt it on a stock engine and i guess you get better results,looking forward to fitting mine soon but i need to make my engine run smoother as i have a flatspot so once I've sorted that i can fit the supercharger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andy rowe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice vintage speed zwitter in volksworld this month running a pepco speedwell supercharger.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres a cool website with some Vintage Pepco information I have not seen posted here before.

http://www.crosleycars.com/pepco.htm

Apparently the same blower was used on Crosleys as well only it has a pulley snout mounted on it. Its cool to see the vintage literature posts that the s/c is good for up to 1500cc and runs 5-8 psi but the discussion here seems to be anything bigger than 1200cc the pepco struggles to make economic gains. I talked to the guy running Fagoel on the phone and he stated the OG pepco was a 33 cu in (500cc) rated blower.

Would there be any advantage or useable horsepower gain using the WW Okrasa dual port heads on an otherwise stock 36 but with a pepco and a single 28 carb (custom d/p intake of course)?

Would a Pepco bolt up to a bone stock 40hp same as the 36hp?
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the next question is how much rpm that pepca can do.
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

grueni wrote:

That has been a question in my mind also. At what point does it stop adding torque and start adding drag. Mine runs reasonably good on my 1560cc stroker with the most noticeable increase in acceleration between second and third gear at about 2/3 throttle. 25mph to 60mph in a flash! But the 1560cc engine is not what I bought the kit for. It will go on my stock 36hp after I make some timing adjustments on the cam. Wish I had a Crosley to run one on. First engine I ever built was a Crosley out of a Hotshot. Interesting engine to say the least.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
spencerfvee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys can this super charger be made to work on a 1600cc dual port motor if so what do you have to do to make it work on a 1600cc dual port motor I like the way it fits under the hood thanks
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, it will not work on a dual port 1600...too small
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like any supercharger if you change the snout pulley to a smaller pulley you will gain boost.The speedwell pepco won't mount up to a stock 40hp without modification.The intake manifold among other things are different.One thing I don't know is if the speedwell has a port on it like the judson for a boost gauge.Has anybody mounted one?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
grueni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thomas. wrote:
Like any supercharger if you change the snout pulley to a smaller pulley you will gain boost.The speedwell pepco won't mount up to a stock 40hp without modification.The intake manifold among other things are different.One thing I don't know is if the speedwell has a port on it like the judson for a boost gauge.Has anybody mounted one?

no you gain blower rpm...and infact of that boost. but boost is a negatif torque and rpm is also limited. so both at the same time will limit you somewhere. those old supercharger styles i belive will end with 8000 max 10000 rpm. and boost i think 10 psi will be good. more is sometimes hard. depends on lever arms inside, bearings. lubification. and and. so lets say 1000 rpm is the limit. then the blower limit is at about 90-100 hp. if the engine is good enouth to just produce about 10 psi.
but it would be nice to know what the rpm limit is.
btw this would be the same range like a amr300 blower that at the same time could handle 16000rpm all the time and more that 15 psi.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Motorhead wrote:
grueni wrote:

That has been a question in my mind also. At what point does it stop adding torque and start adding drag. Mine runs reasonably good on my 1560cc stroker with the most noticeable increase in acceleration between second and third gear at about 2/3 throttle. 25mph to 60mph in a flash! But the 1560cc engine is not what I bought the kit for. It will go on my stock 36hp after I make some timing adjustments on the cam. Wish I had a Crosley to run one on. First engine I ever built was a Crosley out of a Hotshot. Interesting engine to say the least.

Matt, have you put a boost gauge on it?? Seems 2 to 3 lbs boost is all I've heard they made on 2 engines on the wheel dyno. I've heard of one making almost 5, mine has been shelved till I see some more results or get the rotors sealed. I need 10lbs to make my engine run good
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mr. Motorhead
Mad Scientist

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile wrote:

Matt, have you put a boost gauge on it?? Seems 2 to 3 lbs boost is all I've heard they made on 2 engines on the wheel dyno. I've heard of one making almost 5, mine has been shelved till I see some more results or get the rotors sealed. I need 10lbs to make my engine run good

I'm thinking two to three pounds boost at best. I ran the engine just N/A for a couple weeks before the super charger went on. You saw and heard it run on the salt in the bus, it runs real healthy. It makes a beetle go pretty good! Some particulars on the engine:
1558cc,72mmx83mm stock 36hp rod
What I call the "stage 2 cam" is really an old SCAT grind from yesteryear. Intake lift is .325", exhaust lift is .302". Duration @.050 is 232 degrees intake and 227 degrees for exhaust (thanks for the accurate numbers Bvilletom!). Stock runner 36hp manifold, stock valve heads with exhaust ports opened to 32mm, polished. Static compression ratio is 9/1 (which I initially thought was too high). It runs really cool (almost too cool) which surprised me. The carburetor is a 28PCI with a 24.5mm venturi. When I get the super charger installed on my stock 36hp I'll be able to put a boost gauge on the manifold and run an air fuel gauge off the exhaust to see where I am and have some real numbers rather than guesstimates. I'm expecting maybe four to five pounds boost with the stock cam with the gear timing dialed in. Remember as I mentioned in another thread I had this stock engine on the dyno and it put out 36.9hp at the rear axle.
Check out the Bonneville project:
http://aircooledresearch.com/docs/thebonnevilleproject.html#

"All limitations are self imposed."
Some Chinese guy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
stevensjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am interested in getting a Speedwell supercharger and found this thread. I had a Judson on my otherwise stock 36hp and although did help some it was not much of a gain. I have sold the Judson now and considering building a 1500cc+ engine with either Okrasa repro kit or the repro Speedwell. I love the look and sound of superchargers so like idea of doing another. It sounds like can get some decent power with right setup. Am I understanding that 70hp is possible as Mr. Motorhead has listed? I would love some more info please.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepco Speedwell USA Supercharger thread Reply with quote

I thinking of getting a speedwell supercharger and was wondering if I changed the rotors on it to a custom 4 lobe 160 degree rotors you guys think it would help to make a little more power ??? Has anybody thought about it.. I'm not a supercharger geek just want some insight on changing the rotors to a 4 lobe 160 or a screw style rotors ...
FritzCP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepco Speedwell USA Supercharger thread Reply with quote

I think a screw type would work great. I asked Whipple and another screw SC manufacture recently and the smallest blower they made was 1.6L and 2.1L.

if you find a 300 cc to 500cc screw type, id love to see it. I want to make a AMR300 blower scrwe type and mount on a big bore 36hp.
Fritz 70 - 6306 Bearing Puller
Fritz 44 - Dizzy Puller
botcolon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Pepco Speedwell USA Supercharger thread Reply with quote

Does it clear the decklid? Or do you need standoff hinges?
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pepco Speedwell USA Supercharger thread Reply with quote

botcolon wrote:
Does it clear the decklid? Or do you need standoff hinges?

It clears the deck lid with a solex 28pci but won't clear a solex 26vfis but I would use a side draft carb for a better fix and with a side draft carb you can fit a air filter ....but gotta make a custom linkage for that side draft but if your looking for a simple thing solex28pci will fit with deck lid fully closed no stand offs needed ...
TomSimon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Pepco Speedwell USA Supercharger thread Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I thinking of getting a speedwell supercharger and was wondering if I changed the rotors on it to a custom 4 lobe...

The Pepco is an early, straight lobe roots type design. Not very efficient, but easier to manufacture than a helical roots lobe, like GMC used in the 1950's on their 2-stroke Diesels. The screw type superchargers have a different inlet location, and inner cavity shape, that interchanging rotors wouldn't be feasible.

Believe it or not, V8 Hemi dragsters still use the old helix roots style, I don't think the rules allow the superior screw type, but almost everyone uses Teflon strips, wedged into groves that are machined into the rotor tips, where they seal (sort of) against the inside of the blower case. There's some good YouTube footage out there explaining how the Top Fuel teams service the blower, that show the details of how they strips are held into place, and how they go about replacing they when intake pressure goes below 50psi Shocked

I could see a cleaver guy reverse engineering what the TF guys do, but in miniature, with a milling machine in his garage, cutting grooves in the Pepco blower's rotors, adding teflon strips, for increased efficiency.

Just a thought
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepco Speedwell USA Supercharger thread Reply with quote

Ray has built a new set of rotors for these blowers that increases their boost...you just need to figure out how to get them from him.
dave1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepco Speedwell USA Supercharger thread Reply with quote

Whats the point he never gets back to you
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: