Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:11 am    Post subject: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit

Hi all, I found a bus to thing transmission transplant on here but can't find anything on the 10 degree kit where the linkage stays in the tunnel. I have the body and pan separated and am ready to get a 002 trans in the Thing. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bashr52
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

Try in the HBB/Off Road section. Those guys do bus conversions on the regular.
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

Yes, with a 10 degree kit your shift rod will stay in the tunnel.

I've been playing with my thing ever since I got it...
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

Bashr52 wrote:
Try in the HBB/Off Road section. Those guys do bus conversions on the regular.

All I see in there is on those applications like a baha or tube style frame. I bought the kit (just waiting on it to arrive) but I may be having second thoughts. I'm concerned that I may have shifting issues, or a heck of a time getting the linkage just right to shift properly. I also wonder if the engine will then be at a 10 degree angle and not flush like it should be (Would this mess with the 34 PICT Carb?
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

Shift linkage is not an issue with a 10 degree kit.

joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

Well, the kit has been ordered. It should be a couple months before all is in place. I will keep you all up to date.
It's a play thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

The only issue I had using a 10 degree kit in my pre-runner style Thing is with dual carbs, I had to message the air cleaner on the drivers side to fit. other than that the kit works great. I hope that helps, Matt

joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

Ok, I bought the kit and took the pan, kit, and trans to a local VW restoration fella. I just got word that it is complete and ready for pick up. I will try to post pictures when I receive it back.
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

It's a play thing wrote:
The only issue I had using a 10 degree kit in my pre-runner style Thing is with dual carbs, I had to message the air cleaner on the drivers side to fit. other than that the kit works great. I hope that helps, Matt

Did you modify the exhaust for the body, or is your body modified. I'd love to utilize an off the shelf exhaust, but now with the engine at a 10 degree angle I can't get any exhaust to fit. May have to get one modified. Any suggestions?
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 002 Trans in a 181 with 10 degree kit Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I hope the pics help
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: