Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westfalia potti measurments?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:30 pm    Post subject: Westfalia potti measurments? Reply with quote

I wonder if anyone know or have the original westfalia potti. I wonder specifically what the height is.

It seems to me, to be slightly lower then the current new pottis for sale.

Could anyone please verify or debunk this?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potti measurments? Reply with quote

Gowesty sells the reproduction cabinet for the toilet and the interior dimensions are - Interior: 17.625" width x 20.125" depth x 13.25" height

http://www.gowesty.com/product/storage-organizatio...production

Dometic makes a new one and the grey looks like it matches the westy interior grey maybe a little smaller. This is the one I will be getting.
https://www.amazon.com/Dometic-301097606-Portable-...ble+toilet
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potti measurments? Reply with quote

Yes, I'm aware of the new offerings by Thetford, Dometic and gowesty, which are all great, and would answer most peoples needs.

However, I was specifically wondering if the height of these older units is less then the new ones.

The height of current offerings are too much for a specific placement I had in mind, hence my question..
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potti measurments? Reply with quote

Oh my, I’m going to reply with another irrelevant response. Apologies in advance.

I’ve never used a porta-potty but the idea of cleaning one is not appealing to me.

Have you considered using waste bags? Open the package, poop into the sturdy zip-loc bag with magic neutralizing powder, use the enclosed tp, put everything into the zip-loc bag, toss it in the trash (or collect the bags until you find a trash can). No need to clean a porta-potty.

https://www.rei.com/product/662978/cleanwaste-go-a...ucEALw_wcB

FWIW, not for everyone, YMMV.

Apologies for not providing the measurements you requested other than a dozen of these bags take up less than 10% of the space.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potti measurments? Reply with quote

I mentioned the gowesty cabinet because it's a reproduction of the original. The inside dimensions should give you a ballpark idea of the height. Looks like the lid of the toilet sits at the same level as the front of the cabinet top edge.
tilstad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potti measurments? Reply with quote

Yes, thank you, all good suggestions.

The wastebag idea might work for some, but I think a small kid at 4-5 years old could potentially make a larger problem out of this than it was meant to solve. Besides, one would still need something to sit on, no? Regardless, that option is out as far as im concerned.

I understand that the inside dimension give a ballpark idea. But since a Thetford 135, which is the smallest model measures 12.2 inches in height, and the lowest Chinese version ive found is 11.75", and are about 1 inch more than I have to work with, I just wondered if this original version possibly was a hair lower. It looks that way when eyeballing it. But looks can be deceiving.

If it was, I could gave used it in both the westy, and my other vehicle. The space is about 10.5 to 11".
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:05 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potti measurments? Reply with quote

This may help but you'd have to do the math for the measurements.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Westfalia potti measurments? Reply with quote

tilstad wrote:
Yes, thank you, all good suggestions.

The wastebag idea might work for some, but I think a small kid at 4-5 years old could potentially make a larger problem out of this than it was meant to solve. Besides, one would still need something to sit on, no? Regardless, that option is out as far as im concerned.

Understood on the kid needs which make a lot of sense.

To answer the question on where to sit, here’s the rest of the system:

https://www.rei.com/product/662980/cleanwaste-go-anywhere-portable-toilet-seat

https://www.rei.com/product/100547/reliance-hassock-portable-toilet

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: