Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:04 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi Vince,
I talked to my boatbuilder and am clear now about my above questions.
Will use Duratec Hi Gloss ratio 1:1, a little thinner and 1.4mm nozzle.
Then dry sand with 320,500,600,800, 1000 and the polish with 3 M System.
I will post resluts.
All my best
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi Justus, looking forward to seeing your progress!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi,
back with news and results.
First we put filler on the hood- no photos (forgot)- then of course a lot of grinding and filler again- repeat... finally Gel Coat, then a lot of sanding starting at 240 dry, then 300, 400, 500,600, 800, wet 1200, wet 1500, polish with 3M System.
Result makes us proud. Mirror likr finish in Royal Blue...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

The little grains you can see on the last photo is just dirt I can wipe away.
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Then on to the Body,
some more Filler, then first layer of primer, then sanding and filler and prepare for second layer of primer

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

then we block sanded again, another layer of primer and plaster where needed, bolck sanding again and finally ready for Gel Coat.
Yesterday we shot the Gel Coat.
Our "recipee" was 200ml Gel Coat, 200 ml Duratec High Gloss, 20 % Thinner and 2% hardener, that gave us a little under 500 ml per run.Nozzle was 1.4mm. We have done 12 (yes twelve) runs to paint everything inside out. I especially like how the repairs came out, the battery area, the molded Bulb from Vince and also the license plate fix.
We have relatively little orange peel.
So the next 2 weeks we will spend block sanding and polishing through the grids...
Will hopefully post some shiny pictures in about 2 weeks.
All my best

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

A nice before and after.
Please note that before the bulb had a wrong position and ...surprisingly a wrong orientation. It was going to the outside, not to the inside to make room for Chassis component..I do not know how that could have happened?! Shocked But thanks to Vince we could fix that old repair.

parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Looking really good. Please keep the updates coming!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Txs, I will. After the sanding there should be quicker progress with just the mechanics...
Laughing
Chad M
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Awesome work Justus, I love the attention to detail!
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Beautiful work, Justus. Epoxy or polyester primer? ...and how do you keep those ceramic tiles on the wall from taking on the coatings you spray?

Jim
Manx #2614
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Thank you for your kind comments.
I followed Vince's recommendation and used Epoxy Primer. Also the repairs have been done with Epoxy resin.

About the tiles: I try to aim at the car- not the wall Very Happy Very Happy
Seriously- I use the 3M Accu Spray and it is HVLP so there is not so much over spray. My problem is that I now have Gelcoat on the floor because in the first run I did not put plastic underneath. I will report the best way to get it clean again once I found out Sad Cool
surfnc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Very Nice work Justus! You may have to chip the gel coat off the floor with a wide metal scraper.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Hi everybody,
2 weeks already passed and we have spent our evenings sanding and polishing. I think around 50h in the past 2 weeks alone after the application of Gelcoat.
As Vince predicted it is a very time consuming and labour intense process and it is not at all easy to achieve a flawless result since many times fine scratches that we produced in the sanding process through the grids would become visible after polishing--- then you restart the sanduing go back down to 1000 grid and 1500 and 2000 and polish--- repeat Wink
When you think you are done the sun light refelcet from another angle and there you see another scratch Rolling Eyes
However, apart from some small areas and some corners that require hand polishing last night we were pretty happy with the results for the first time and celebrated with a beer- as you can see we also seem to believe that Gel Coating and Fiber Glassing works better with a beer bottle on top at the end of the day Very Happy
Ususally we work after office hours but today it is a bright and shiny day so we will take it out in the bright sun light to identify the weak spots around noon and take a couple of hours off. It is quite quiet because of vacation season anyhow. Following are some photos of yesterdays results. I hope you like. Next week we will finalize (hopefully with the 3M fine polish and Wax to also eliminate the maschine polish traces of 3M medium+wax product.
All my best from sunny Wolfsburg.
P.s. Vince: the bulb turned out great. The complete section looks way better than before, clean and straight and smooth.
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

parmaynu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Wow! That looks flawless. Top work again!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PHYZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

thank you,
that is very kind of you. The positive comments ease the pain Very Happy
keithmanx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

Excellent result, well worth the extra effort of using Gelcoat. Well done!
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: restoring manx MK1 in need of help with details on molded sump Reply with quote

It is my opinion that you are being WAY too hard on yourself. The pictures show an outstanding finish. If there are still scratches I'm thinking they are a result of a problem with your eyes... quit looking so close! I'm sure 99% of observers will never notice, they're blinded by the shine!
Well done!

Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)

Last edited by hillmotorsports on Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: