Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
rob88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Hi i,m new to Samba and new to owning Vw. I just bought 87 vanagon westy been searching for ages. I want to change out the old 14" wheels for 15 or 16" with correct spacers ect and correct rated tires. For Street use. I know there's a lot of info out there but can someone simplify. Id like to get used MBZ rims or ? and buy the correct tires as this seems a cheaper route than GW ect. Much appriciated Chaps
rob88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

For example would these work?
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/wto/d/mercedes-saluminum-rims-new/6551758574.html
rob88
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Or these https://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/wto/d/mercedes-benz-16-wheels-rims/6581519007.html
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Welcome Rob88,

This is the "tire thread" you are asking about rims. Look at the wheels thread instead.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=203519

Also, it would be helpful for us to know where you are. Some folks here might just have a spare set.

Good luck Smile
JDEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I purchased a set of rims and the tires on the rims are 215-65-15. I have a vanagon multivan that has the same stance as a vanagon carat. Are these tires too tall for my vanagon? Will I have rubbing issues? I currently have 205-70-15 tires.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

JDEL wrote:
I purchased a set of rims and the tires on the rims are 215-65-15. I have a vanagon multivan that has the same stance as a vanagon carat. Are these tires too tall for my vanagon? Will I have rubbing issues? I currently have 205-70-15 tires.

So the 205-7-15 are 26.3" according to tiresize.com

The 215-65-15 is 26". It also depends on the offset of your new wheels. Why not just pop them on and do a couple full lock turns going forward and reverse.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

JDEL wrote:

Hold on a second.

1: how old are these tires? There is a code on the sidewall. Don't run tires older than 7 years regardless of their looks.
2: what load rating are these tires? Vanagons are 1 ton truck. You need to match the tire to the vehicle, regardless of the dimensions. Did you read the first post of this thread? 6 ply or C rating as a minimum. That roughly translates to 99 or higher.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

I shouldn't have assumed they were load rated. What he said ^^^^^^
JDEL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

The tire size comparison section on the tiresize.com website is a helpful tool. Thanks for the tip. The new tires should work. I will put them on this weekend and take them for a spin.
rmcd
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Interesting article with dyno showing impact of a 11# heavier rim and 1” larger tire.

“one inch of wheel diameter and 11.6 pounds of wheel weight, then lost 14 HP and 9 lb-ft of torque at the wheels “

https://jalopnik.com/see-how-big-tires-can-change-wheel-horsepower-1825922567
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

rmcd wrote:
Interesting article with dyno showing impact of a 11# heavier rim and 1” larger tire.

“one inch of wheel diameter and 11.6 pounds of wheel weight, then lost 14 HP and 9 lb-ft of torque at the wheels “

https://jalopnik.com/see-how-big-tires-can-change-wheel-horsepower-1825922567

Is there any formula to estimate the HP loss without resorting to a dyno test?

Also, at the beginning of this thread should be the list that Jon Slider (?) created matching max tire size to engine conversions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

for those who are running the 205/70/15 Geolandars
on sale now thru the weekend. $315/4 or $94 ea shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-205-70-15-YOKOHAMA-GEOLANDAR-AT-GO15-70R-R15-TIRES-32467/361814855295
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

and buy your next winter tires now
at Discount Tire for $67ea shipped

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/general-altimax-arctic-12-studdable/p/35921

General Altimax Arctic 12 Studdable

205 /70 R15 100T XL BSW
ITEM: 35921
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
for those who are running the 205/70/15 Geolandars
on sale now thru the weekend. $315/4 or $94 ea shipped

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-205-70-15-YOKOHAMA-GEOLANDAR-AT-GO15-70R-R15-TIRES-32467/361814855295

To anybody considering- after much debate I bought these. They are the only 15" all terrain tires close to stock diameter (26.3"). They are only rated 96, which, with the 9% derating, puts them just under the minimum load requirements (1424 vs the 1433 full load rating). I joked to my wife and daughter that the three of us would each have to lose 12 pounds.

However, they are rated for 51psi, so there is an open debate whether it is necessary to derate them. Since the previous owner of my van had 94sl rated tires on the van for years and went camping with a family of four, I figured this was an improvement.

I have been very pleased with them so far with no complaints.
Vashon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Just ordered 4 Nokian WR C3 215/60R16C D/8PR BSW from easy-tire. com . Seems like they were the only place that had these in the 60 size. So any one concerned about diameter issues but want heavy duty Nokians in 60 series they are available. After reading endless tire threads these appear to be a good fit for my 2wd 2.1 87 Westy.
I didn't care much for the Hydroedges that experts sold me so I made my own choice this time . Not an inexpensive choice but I hope a good one.
Its hard to find a tire that is good in the northwest but can be driven to the southwest and then take a few 100 miles on rough gravel roads. Cold ,hot ,smooth highway and gravel are the norm for my winter travels. Carrying extra tires on the roof isn't an option- too much camping stuff up there. I guess I'll see if 8ply Finnish wonders don't do the trick.
I should add that 15' wheels( extra sidewall and more tire choices) probably would have been a better choice for my long driving trips. did I mention random snow, mud ,sand ?
Tim
87 Wolfsburg Westy Weekender "Blanco Burro"
MTV1960
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Thinking of switching my BFG AT KO which are discontinued to either the AT KO2 or the Mud Terrain k02. The MT's look way cooler but not sure if its worth the looks to switch. Driving from Costa Rica to Cali so fair amount of on road and fair amount of beach sand travel. The new KO2 all terrain is no longer available with the raised white letters and i have 2 serviceable spares in the old KO model. so...any one have experience with the BFG MT's?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HighTopBay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Here's some pic's of Maxxis Buckshot mudder II's on my country homes camper. size is 27x8.5R14 on stock steel wheels. load range C. Ride is pretty decent, they are a bit loud (to be expected). Totally stock suspension, no lift or spacers or anything, just old worn out stock springs. Currently powered by a 2.3L gowesty unit(soon to be for sale since im going subaru), so i havent noticed any issues with acceleration or on climbing those tough FL hills lol.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
van11 by Louis DePaolis, on Flickr

van8 by Louis DePaolis, on Flickr

van6 by Louis DePaolis, on Flickr

van5 by Louis DePaolis, on Flickr
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

Maybe that's old news to you, but I just learnt Yokohma discontinued the Y370 14". I really need to go 16" now.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

what an overwhelming decision. i just went with the nokian wr c3 - LT195/60R16 99T. $192 each, and will end up costing nearly $1000 canuck bucks for 4 including tax/mounting/balancing from kaltire. not much other choice up here to buy nokians from what i could tell.

but these seem like a good fit for the PNW climate and keep to the original diameter so my 1.9 still has power up hills.

update: and here is a pic. these are on 16" merc steel wheels. some more road noise, but not too bad.

Slimvest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: What TIRES fit? The ultimate tire thread! Reply with quote

atomatom, I think you made the right choice. I've had "All Weather" Nokians on my two other cars (Honda Fit and Subaru) and they're great tires. Had a set of their Entyre on my van for a couple years and they were also good, but i fell victim to "offroad envy" and got a set of 205/75/15 General Grabber AT2. They're okay, IMO, but too soft for me and the climbing power loss is very noticeable. 20k miles on them at this point, maybe. I'm going to get a set of those WRC3 in 15" eventually. Get closer to stock diameter too. Oversized is overrated.

EDIT: just called my local Nokian dealer and he says the C3 is a winter tire only. True? Thought it was an all-weather similar to the WRG3. What kind of life are people getting?

Last edited by Slimvest on Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:01 am; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 32, 33, 34 ... 55, 56, 57  Next
Jump to:
Page 33 of 57

Jump to: