Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

73 with "box" air intakes
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
181thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:00 am    Post subject: 73 with "box" air intakes Reply with quote

Hi All

I am looking at a "1973" Thing with a VIN beginning in 183, but it has the "boxy" air intakes on the sides in the back like a 1974. All 1973's that I have seen have just louvers back there. Were some 1973's fitted with the boxes??

Cory
abcdleines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: 73 with "box" air intakes Reply with quote

No they are not stock on 73’s, probably added by PO for more cooling to the engine compartment.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 73 with "box" air intakes Reply with quote

I think I remember a discussion about this a few years ago, and I think the determination was that there are some '73's fitted with them.

First, check to make sure that the VIN under the hood and the VIN on the tunnel match.

Next, does it have a gas heater or heater boxes? There has been speculation that the raised air intakes were added to keep exhaust fumes out of the heated air on '74's.

Finally, look in the engine compartment to see if there are louvers in the body or not. I believe in '74's where the air intakes were added the louvers are not present.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: