Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:41 am    Post subject: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

A stock Dometic fridge is supposed to get a temp down to about 30 below ambient

A Peltier based cooler is supposed to get to about the same ambient benchmark.

Has anyone ever tried to mount a Peltier into the top of the Dometic for example and have it assist in bringing temps down below the 30 deg ambient benchmark ?

Of course I don't expect that it will totally transform the fridge into some magical box that can help jumpstart the next ice age but I wonder if anyone had tried this scenario before I consider doing this in the name of science and curiosity Smile ...
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

I considered that - for the few minutes it took me to realise that the Peltier 'hot' side would still be at ambient, so the 'cold' side would never get below that 30° threshold. Both systems together in parallel wouldn't make it any cooler than the coolest one to start with.

Now if you could get them in 'series' that'd be a different matter, but I can see no practical way of doing that. Putting a Peltier device straight on the cooling fins wouldn't be any better than a couple of computer fans anyway.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

For another take on the subject, check here
http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/fridgechill.htm

Its been in the mind, and on the drawing board, but never put into practice.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
For another take on the subject, check here
http://www.griffco.ca/interest/vw/fridgechill.htm

Its been in the mind, and on the drawing board, but never put into practice.

Griffco ! Of course, I have visited that site numerous times and I guess just missed it or didn't give it much thought previously.

That is an interesting experiment and results to show some improvement as a booster.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

someday when i am feeling *very* brave, i will redirect the heater coolant plumbing to the fridge so that the dometic cools when the engine is hot.
spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

automatom said
Quote:
i will redirect the heater coolant plumbing to the fridge so that the dometic cools when the engine is hot

I can't quite figure out the science behind that statement.

Or, maybe I do get it Wink Cooler than the Dometic usually runs!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
automatom said
Quote:
i will redirect the heater coolant plumbing to the fridge so that the dometic cools when the engine is hot

I can't quite figure out the science behind that statement.

Or, maybe I do get it Wink Cooler than the Dometic usually runs!

the dometic fridge works by applying heat to refrigerant - i'm just talking about heating it with engine heat instead of propane or electric heat.

more here: https://www.rvrepairclub.com/article/how-absorption-refrigeration-works/

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

midmo81
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

Ummm yep. PO let the smoke out of the original 12volt Dometic option. Had Powerchill handy. Works fine when driving.

spitsnrovers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

atomatom - I missed that inference Embarassed

Do you think engine coolant heat would be sufficient to boil the ammonia mixture?
metropoj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

midmo81 wrote:
Ummm yep. PO let the smoke out of the original 12volt Dometic option. Had Powerchill handy. Works fine when driving.

Ha, 'cool'. Thanks for sharing. Ya, I suspect she loses coolness fast when not running like my plug in coolers do.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

spitsnrovers wrote:
atomatom - I missed that inference Embarassed

Do you think engine coolant heat would be sufficient to boil the ammonia mixture?

i recall reading that the dometic heating element temperature was actually exactly the same as the ideal coolant temp (187oF/86oC)
vanagonjon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone ever do a Dometic / Peltier Hybrid Fridge? Reply with quote

The RV repair club article about absorption refrigeration is not technically accurate. Both compression and absorption type systems add heat to raise the temperature of the refrigerant to allow condensation at an 'ambient' temperature. The compression type system also has a 'pump', the compressor, to move the refrigerant around. The absorption system uses chemical properties to move the refrigerant around, the ammonia gas has an affinity to be absorbed back into the water, hence absorption. The hydrogen allows the ammonia to evaporate more readily by another chemical property. I am not sure of the actual temperature needed in the boiler, it may be more total BTU's needed at a minimal threshold temperature.

I am a refrigeration tech, remember there is no cold, only lack of heat. All refrigeration systems move heat. When you move heat from an area, you have 'cold' there.

John
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: