Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions......
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Orphama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:34 am    Post subject: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

the rundown:
New Samba Member
New to electric & battery work, but learn fast
New Vanagon Owner ("Ruby" — '87 GL Westy)
Installing aux battery system for trip to Michigan UP (from PDX), and general camping for years to come/

So...

Ive been lightly scouring the various threads about this process and have decided on the BlueSeas ACR Isolator and 12-point Fuse box for various accessories now and in the future. Ive also decided on the location for the battery which will be in the common under-the-back-bench spot; passenger side.

I've decided to use two 6V batteries, wired in series to make 12V, and hopefully to boost the Amp Hours to 180-200+ (rather safe than sorry...)

My main question at the moment is WHAT BRAND & MODEL OF BATTERY IS RECOMMENDED I USE FOR THIS — #ByTheCulture. I'll ask some guy at a battery store or Napa if I have to but.......

Anyways, I did go to my local Batteries+ store to scope some options at least and they all seem rather large in respect to the space I will be putting them in..

Am I just a noob? Or are their bigger/smaller 6V batteries to use? dependent on brand? Are golf cart batteries any smaller? ...I am largely getting my inspiration from this ( http://vanvswild.com/blog/2016/2/25/getting-off-the-grid ) website and blog post. Dont know the guy (or girl) but it is really thorough and well explained—besides of course, their exact choice of battery.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I'd like to have this project done in the next few weeks.

Bless,
Orphama

————————
"a well stocked mind is safe from boredom"
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

why not two 12v in parallel ? makes no sense to waste the space for two 6 volt batteries when there are plenty of high amp hr 12 volts.. i have a couple of used 12 volt scooter batteries.. they weigh 55 lbs each and so far.. i cant kill one.. altho new they were in the $250 dollar range .. each..
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:44 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

What are your electrical needs for general camping?

That is where you start.

You wont get a safe large power installation in two weeks of learning curve, correct wiring is craftsmanship , not just duplicating you tubes.

Don Casey’s book on wiring sailboats is a good reference start

95% of the wiring shown here is bad, and half of that is manifestly unsafe.
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

Yeah just get one 110ah deep cycle battery for less than $100. Get another if needed. Wire them in parallel
vwjetboat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:24 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

for an example.. one of these used scooter batteries.. ran a 32 inch lcd off a 750 watt harbor freight converter.. for 8 hours.. before the converter started beeping that battery was below 12volt needed... so if you really want power ..that will last.. spend big bucks on the battery..

p/s: scooter battery is same size as boat deep cycle
davevickery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

What are you planning to run that uses that much power?
Orphama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

vwjetboat wrote:
why not two 12v in parallel ? makes no sense to waste the space for two 6 volt batteries when there are plenty of high amp hr 12 volts.. i have a couple of used 12 volt scooter batteries.. they weigh 55 lbs each and so far.. i cant kill one.. altho new they were in the $250 dollar range .. each..

Ya know Im not sure about the two 6V.... I basically just want to have a lot of aH for the possibility of weeks/months away from any hookups or outlets or anything. As I was reading I just gathered that the two 6Vs in series would give me the greater aH...

Abscate:
As of now I dont have any extra outlets, waiting obviously for the aux to be setup.. but when it is I'd like to be able to; charge a laptop, have lights on whenever parked if I want to, charge two phones, charge DSLR camera, run fridge 50/50 on battery power and propane to make the propane last longer.... and I have a feeling a lot more will come up.

I mostly just want the aH for consistency and the possibility to just fck off somewhere deep in the woods for weeks at a time..

shagginwagon83:
Absolutely willing to consisder this but still; model/brand of battery???

And yes, I'm willing to pay probably 350 tops for a battery
Orphama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
What are your electrical needs for general camping?

That is where you start.

You wont get a safe large power installation in two weeks of learning curve, correct wiring is craftsmanship , not just duplicating you tubes.

Also, Im not the cut corners type so if i feel unsure, I have a father in law who has owned ~100 vanagons back in the day and is well versed in all things VW and Toyota, so I also have his help. This is just the grunt work of gathering info
LemonCove
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

Orphama wrote:
My main question at the moment is WHAT BRAND & MODEL OF BATTERY IS RECOMMENDED I USE FOR THIS "

I went with 12V deep cycle batteries (Interstates) from Costco for a few reasons; price and availability, and should I have any issues . . . great customer service. I put essentially the same systems (blue sea ACR /fuse panel and parallel 12V costcos) in my Westy and my son's Sprinter and they've been trouble free.

It's clear to me you've spent a fair amount of time reading aux battery threads that led you to your decision, and I think the blue sea decisions reflect that. Get you design right. Getting the correct wire/cable, connectors, fuses, etc to do the job correctly takes a bit of planning and finding a good source.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

LemonCove wrote:
I went with 12V deep cycle batteries (Interstates) from Costco for a few reasons; price and availability, and should I have any issues . . . great customer service.

Ditto!....just got two free replacements a couple weeks ago.

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

Orphan wrote:

..... I'd like to be able to; charge a laptop, have lights on whenever parked if I want to, charge two phones, charge DSLR camera, run fridge 50/50 on battery power and propane to make the propane last longer.... and I have a feeling a lot more will come up.

I mostly just want the aH for consistency and the possibility to just fck off somewhere deep in the woods for weeks at a time..

If you're using the Dometic fridge on DC, beware that it will suck a relatively large amount of Amps. Like 6-7 Amps? And, in hot ambient temps, that fridge may be cycling on a lot. Easy to measure Amp draw with a basic VOM. That said, the Dometic can run off propane for at least a week even with using stove. Some get 2 weeks off one tank but IDK how much they use the stove in that case.

Consider your alternator and related wiring and how much time it'll take to charge the batteries when-if you only have the engine to use as charge source. Surface charging batteries is hard on them.

I started off with a (and still have) flooded cell group 27 "deep cycle" (I don't think its a true deep cycle). I've mistreated it, partly through ignorance. It still runs my fridge over night but I'm sure it isn't 100% good. My point: if it dies tomorrow I've gotten at least 4 years out of it and it only cost about 100 CND. It was a good battery to start off with as a then total newb.

I have a solar panel which is a game changer for off grid as you know.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

Care to give some unsafe examples?

This book is from 1999?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Orphama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Orphama wrote:

..... I'd like to be able to; charge a laptop, have lights on whenever parked if I want to, charge two phones, charge DSLR camera, run fridge 50/50 on battery power and propane to make the propane last longer.... and I have a feeling a lot more will come up.

If you're using the Dometic fridge on DC, beware that it will suck a relatively large amount of Amps. Like 6-7 Amps? And, in hot ambient temps, that fridge may be cycling on a lot. Easy to measure Amp draw with a basic VOM. That said, the Dometic can run off propane for at least a week even with using stove. Some get 2 weeks off one tank but IDK how much they use the stove in that case.

Consider your alternator and related wiring and how much time it'll take to charge the batteries when-if you only have the engine to use as charge source. Surface charging batteries is hard on them.

I started off with a (and still have) flooded cell group 27 "deep cycle" (I don't think its a true deep cycle). I've mistreated it, partly through ignorance. It still runs my fridge over night but I'm sure it isn't 100% good. My point: if it dies tomorrow I've gotten at least 4 years out of it and it only cost about 100 CND. It was a good battery to start off with as a then total newb.

Neil.

I am using dometic currently but I'd like to relatively soon (within about a year or 2) get a TruckFridge or some other alternative that would use up less energy hopefully..

As for alternator and that wiring, my aforementioned father in law checked it out the other day and said should be able to handle a decent charge. My engine and some other misc. stuff was replaced on this rig about 30k miles ago so I feel confident in that department. Although I will def double check. Good notes.

Solar panel is definitely in my future as well.

Orphama
Steve M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

I've been using two of the Interstate GC2 6v golf cart batteries. I think I installed them 2 yrs. ago? Maybe 3 yrs? These have the interstate white lower and green top. 232aH.
They changed something in the design where they have a new part number and went to a green case and black top and being called "Extreme Cycle" Golf Cart Batteries. The specs have downgraded to 225ah though.

The RV forums all say good things about them.

Most of the time the vehicle has been in storage with the batteries connected to the "Battery Tender" charger.
I've started actively using them everyday since last Aug. and now this week they are draining down below 10v within a few hours on a 2.4ah load

The 100aH Renogy Folding Solar kit brings them up within a few hours to full charge, but they are not working like new.
The load on them is a Engle MT45 (2.4ah), radio when used, USB charger when used, 10" O2 Cool Fan through a 400w Invertor (all night) and the Laptop until it slid out the rear hatch...(sigh)
I measured the load a few daze ago after full charge during the day and the Engle was the only load at 2.4aH until 10v cutoff on the Blueseas ACR.
So new batteries are on the list after the next paycheck!

Would I buy them again? Yes, but local availability is going to dictate that!
I might go with a single 12v for the rest of the summer.

https://www.interstatebatteries.com/recreation-vehicles/golf-cart-batteries/extreme-cycle

There are seven days in a week. Someday is not one of them.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

Orphama wrote:
Vanagon Nut wrote:
Orphama wrote:

Easy to measure Amp draw with a basic VOM.

Neil.

I am using dometic currently but I'd like to relatively soon (within about a year or 2) get a TruckFridge or some other alternative that would use up less energy hopefully..

As for alternator and that wiring, my aforementioned father in law checked it out the other day and said should be able to handle a decent charge. My engine and some other misc. stuff was replaced on this rig about 30k miles ago so I feel confident in that department. Although I will def double check. Good notes.

Solar panel is definitely in my future as well.

Orphama

If the wiring from alternator to black junction box and starter looks newer and/or different than the OE wiring, its possible it was upgraded to a larger gauge. Check out Gowesty and other vendors for image examples to compare to.

Suggestion: balance your budget out to less battery, put that money towards a solar panel, controller, and good battery charger or onboard converter? You will likely find that you have to think more in advance of charging priorities, when to charge, etc. regardless of how much battery you install.

There's a lot of factors involved, e.g. does one have a true MPPT good quality solar controller, battery type/design, but I think that overall, there's a general tendency to under charge and/or surface charge batteries even if one has sufficient solar panel size.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

If you want high quality 6 volt batteries you could consider Trojan marine batteries. Stepping down from there you could go with Costco or Sam's club 6v golf cart batteries. Two 6 volt marine or golf cart batteries are a very good option if you are looking for a demanding power load. In general stick with marine wiring, connectors and parts if you want better quality.

If you are good with math you can calculate your amperage needs by using AMPS = Watts / Volts. Or just add up amperage draw per hour. Example I run a 1 amp light at night when camping. In the summer it's probably on for about 2 hours a night. So I know I need 2 amps of power for that a day. If it's cool I may run my propex heater which takes about 1.5 amps per hour. It can warm up the van in 20 minutes so it is only on for a short time in the evening and morning. So I budget 1 hour per day for my heater so that is 1.5 amps. So with my light and heater I am up to 3.5 amps of power per day. If I sit somewhere for 3 days I'll use 10.5 amps of power. Once I start the motor the battery will start recharging depending on how far I drive or the engine runs. The alternator is rated for 90 amps however it's old so let's be conservative and call it 60 real world amps. With simple math it would take 10 minutes of the motor running to get my 10.5 amps back. Batteries don't exactly charge with a straight 1:1 curve but in general the engine doesn't need to run long to crank out 10.5 amps. So I just have a 40 amp battery under the drivers seat. Another rule of thumb to follow is you don't want to drain a lead acid battery below a 50% charge. For me that means I have 20 workable amps from my battery. So if I double my battery usage(10.5 +10.5 = 21 amps) on a 3 day stay I am within my 20 amp workable range give or take an amp.

Forget about running the stock fridge on DC with batteries, the efficiency isn't there. You would need about 150-200 amp per day to make that happen and it would probably only work with outside temperatures below 70 degrees. You'd be looking at 4 golf cart batteries to pull that off for 1 day.

If you are going to sit for days on end solar would be a good option to explore.

The fridge will run an easy 7 days on propane with cooking 2 simple meals a day. It will go more than 2 weeks with no cooking.

Good luck on your project!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Time and space-sensitive Aux Battery questions...... Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Abscate wrote:

Care to give some unsafe examples?

This book is from 1999?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

8 wiring faults I can see, and I have polished my shocks too much..

Its $150 an hour to enumerate them. 4 hour minimum, 6 in CT

Quote:
This book is from 1999?

Yeah - there was expertise before the internet, and it wasnt destroyed, just diluted.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: