Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

dune buggy trannys??
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 5:18 am    Post subject: dune buggy trannys?? Reply with quote

hey guys I currently have a short axle swing axle with a 62 tranny.i am going to look at a bunch of old trannys irs and swing axles from late 60,s thru the 70,s.and a couple of old bus trannys.alot of beetles and parts etc.its all been sitting out for years.not covered.but some of the trannys r still in the vehicles.my question is what should I be looking for to upgrade my tranny in my buggy?.any bus tranny with a nose cone?,a 70,s bug tranny?.just wondering what to keep an eye out for to have a good tranny on hand.i will crack the drain plugs and make sure they r not full of water.my current tranny is fine I just want to have one on hand or have a tranny to uprgrade to.thanx.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: dune buggy trannys?? Reply with quote

If you have a swing axle I suggest you look for one of those as swapping over to an IRS requires a significant amount of fabrication.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: dune buggy trannys?? Reply with quote

Simplest would be to stay with swing axle, if you can find them the late ones 67-68 (I believe) are long axle and that will give you about a 3 inch wider stance, and a little more stability...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

To convert to IRS you will need to add pivots to torsion bar tube and get shorter spring plates, not difficult to do and pivot brackets are available and you can rent jig to do weld up, and you can either get the shorter spring plates or cut the longer ones down...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZYIc_C7EUlc

Not best video but sort of what you are up against going to bus transaxle & irs... The irs pivot installation (last part of video) would be about same with type 1 transaxle ...

Bus transaxles tend be more robust, but an you seem to be aware of is issue of getting shift linkage connected up...

If possible, grab what you can, always good trade material and you can sort out what you want to do at your leisure...

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: dune buggy trannys?? Reply with quote

The Bus transaxle is much lower geared. Good for off road but may limit your speed on the highway.
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: dune buggy trannys?? Reply with quote

It depends on what size engine and what size rear tires you have on your Buggy. It also depends on what they are selling them for.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: dune buggy trannys?? Reply with quote

going to see tomorrow evening.alot of buggy,beetles,parts,trannys etc.alot are growing into the weeds.some sheds full of random parts.guy just wants to clear it all out.guess it was his fathers.i am grabbing a speedometer for my buggy build and I need tail lights to.just figured I may grab a tranny or 2 and spare parts if the price is reasonable.the 150 to 200 dollar price tags I have seen on used speedometers is a little tough.i got kids.lol.not looking to get over on anyone I would just like to pay reasonable prices that I can live with.IF not I will be installing a arctic cat ZRT 600 triple, speedometer in my dune buggy.lol.like Dale said great trade bait if not anything else.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: dune buggy trannys?? Reply with quote

62Kellison,

You should PM me with what you are still looking for. I am in Mass and still have some leftover Buggy parts from my days building buggies.

Jeff
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: dune buggy trannys?? Reply with quote

will do jeff,thanks
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: dune buggy trannys?? Reply with quote

well the guy was decent enough and great prices.but I screwed up.i bought a set of complete taillights wires included,a gas tank and a very nice speedometer.80 bucks for all.i thought that was pretty damn nice of him.BUT,he didn't have the oval 1962 tail lights.he had the 1968 style I believe with a straight bottom.. and another same style but a bigger version maybe 1975?.i bought the smaller version 1968.but they r still to big.they overhang my dune buggy body by about an inch.and don't sit correctly.and the gas tank I bought is for a 1975 its way to big.i had a feeling looking at it that it was to big.my fault.but I did think the tail lights were going to fit.grrr.but its a real nice speedo!!.live and learn.he did welcome me to come back for more.and he is selling 1960,s style swing axles transmissions,long and short for 75 bucks apiece!.i believe that's a good deal.i guess I will sell or try to trade the tail lights for the oval style that I need (1962)...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: