Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Thanks!

I had them powder coated, and that was one of the options. I don't recall the exact name, but I picked it because it matches the coating that Chris at T3 puts on his front anti sway bar.

shagginwagon83 wrote:
bajaleo - What kind of coating is that to your spindle? It looks really nice

bajaleo wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Off topic but that texure is often called hammertone.
http://precisionpowderinc.com/portfolio/matte-gloss-and-hammertone-powder-coat-2/
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend a SS brake hose that works with G60 caliper conversions?
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
Can anyone recommend a SS brake hose that works with G60 caliper conversions?

I got mine from Burley.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
I just purchased a set of Epytec adapters. Hopefully I can squeeze things in and clear my CLK wheels. They are made to work with 312x25 Passat rotors.

I have Epytec adapter and 312x25 Audi brakes on my syncro. Audi Ate57 calipers and the 7x16 et33 version of the CLK wheels. No clearance issues at all. But my Ronal R9 7x6 et23 did not fit.
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

OddN wrote:

I have Epytec adapter and 312x25 Audi brakes on my syncro. Audi Ate57 calipers and the 7x16 et33 version of the CLK wheels. No clearance issues at all. But my Ronal R9 7x6 et23 did not fit.

The only unknown is the Epytec description specifies G57 calipers. I don't know anybody that has tried G60 with them. From the drawings I've pulled up and snippets of info I've found the G57 and G60 caliper mount spacing is the same. I will report my findings.

What brake lines did you use OddN?

s
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

I went with EBC premium British slotted rotors and Hawk ceramic high end pads hopefully it all fits up and works so well it stops on a dime and gives me change back.
OddN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
OddN wrote:

The only unknown is the Epytec description specifies G57 calipers. I don't know anybody that has tried G60 with them. From the drawings I've pulled up and snippets of info I've found the G57 and G60 caliper mount spacing is the same. I will report my findings.

What brake lines did you use OddN?

s

I really don't remember what brake lines i used. But I think it was someting from a BMW. Found the tip somewhere online but don't remember where. Sorry.
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

So based on my initial measurements the outside edge of the Girling 60 mounting holes is 1/8” wider than the OEM carriers. Not surprisingly this does not make for a perfectly round hole. Want to make sure my experience is consistent with others and these are safe to use

Original measurement

Final outcome

dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

You're on the right track!
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 12:37 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Finally got this done today,
I used 19-B989/19-B988 remanufactured brakes. Got the holes machined to spec, and sourced all the spacers/hardware at fastenal

I was able to fit 388mm rotors without having to clearance the mounting bracket, very happy about that.

One thing that I'm not that happy about is the whole flex line to hard-line business. Has anyone been able to source a custom 10x1mm braided line with a male fitting on one end and a female fitting on the other end? seems like it would need to be approx. 20" long...
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

In my collecting, some castings are cleaner than others where the rotor comes through the carrier, the caliper itself fits larger rotors with out mods.

I have lines that fit all the way to the frame connection, a local supplier has them. If you have a hydraulic hose shop near you they should be able to help you out!

What was the cost of the remanufactured Girling set?
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

In my collecting, some castings are cleaner than others where the rotor comes through the carrier, the caliper itself fits larger rotors with out mods.

I have lines that fit all the way to the frame connection, a local supplier has them. If you have a hydraulic hose shop near you they should be able to help you out!

What was the cost of the remanufactured Girling set?
baltik
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

Thanks for all of your help on this project btw, I ended up spending $180 for the remanufactured pair.

The custom brake line that you are using - do you happen to know the length? are you using banjo fittings or standard metric? any photos you may have of how they are attached at the caliper as well as how they are retained from rubbing on the wheel would be super helpful
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
The custom brake line that you are using - do you happen to know the length? are you using banjo fittings or standard metric? any photos you may have of how they are attached at the caliper as well as how they are retained from rubbing on the wheel would be super helpful

I got these brake lines from Burley. I put some plastic split loom over them to protect them.

elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

The braided lines are protection themselves what's the reasoning for the plastic ? Not being a dick but I have the same lines ans want to know if I'm missing something
bajaleo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
The braided lines are protection themselves what's the reasoning for the plastic ? Not being a dick but I have the same lines ans want to know if I'm missing something

I wanted to be able to see if there was any rubbing going on without actually rubbing on the brake lines themselves.
dkoesyncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Thanks for all of your help on this project btw, I ended up spending $180 for the remanufactured pair.

I believe 20" and its a standard metric line, no banjos!

It looks similar to the burley line that bajelo posted.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

baltik wrote:
Finally got this done today,
I used 19-B989/19-B988 remanufactured brakes. Got the holes machined to spec, and sourced all the spacers/hardware at fastenal

I was able to fit 388mm rotors without having to clearance the mounting bracket, very happy about that.

One thing that I'm not that happy about is the whole flex line to hard-line business. Has anyone been able to source a custom 10x1mm braided line with a male fitting on one end and a female fitting on the other end? seems like it would need to be approx. 20" long...

Two questions:

Where did you source the calipers?

Did you mean 288mm rotors?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Disc Brake Conversion.... Audi parts? Reply with quote

So the Burley line fits it sounds like. I asked him and he said he wasn't sure.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: