Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

If it was built in December 1956, what model year is it?
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: If it was built in December 1956, what model year is it? Reply with quote

My dad and I both have single cabs. They are only 157 chassis numbers apart! 21909x - 21925x both built in Dec. His is registered as a 1957 and I just registered mine as a 1956 not thinking about this til after. (No original documentation)
Should they both be registered as 56 or 57?
He has documentation dating back to 1973 and appears it’s been registered for at least 45 years as a 1957

57 makes more sense to me, just wondering if I should go back to ICBC (like the DMV) and get it changed which could be an issue. Or just leave it be
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: If it was built in December 1956, what model year is it? Reply with quote

1957 for both.

the august model year change was in 1955 I believe.
Vancity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: If it was built in December 1956, what model year is it? Reply with quote

sled wrote:
1957 for both.

the august model year change was in 1955 I believe.

Ok great thanks! EDIT: maybe not? See photo below

I don’t quite understand the 1955 reference though if it matters.
Does that mean starting in 1955 anything built after August became next years models?

Last edited by Vancity on Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: If it was built in December 1956, what model year is it? Reply with quote

U in Vancouver? More pressbumper buses! Cool
Vancity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: If it was built in December 1956, what model year is it? Reply with quote

joshbuchan wrote:

Yes Cool
Trying to find a house to buy on the island right now

Back on the topic of what year this is. I took a screenshot the other day. Change was made in 1958?
So maybe they are 1956?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Clara Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: If it was built in December 1956, what model year is it? Reply with quote

Different sources list different start dates for the start of the model year for 50s buses. It woudl be interesting to see the source for that info.

I think model year was not standard back in the mid fifties, and was later standardized. VW clearly used it by 1965, though.

Often Europeans seem to use calendar year, not model year. And many changes were made whenever VW felt like a change, with complete disregard for model year. One significant example is the later motor and tunnel case tranny introduced in May 1959, not 'saved up' for two and a half months for a model year change which might have been August 1st.

Many cars were registered as the year they were first registered in... so one buildt in December could be registered as the next year.

There was a thread on model year, referring to a document dated IIRC 1960 or sometime in the early 60s which retroactively standardizes model year start in August.

But compare to Progressive Refinements, and you find another story.

bottom line: Don't worry about it.
Vancity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: If it was built in December 1956, what model year is it? Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Clara,
I’ve only owned it for a few days (honeymoon stage) and just trying to get things straight with notes. At the end of the day it really doesn’t matter to me. Will just have to be diligent in ordering the correct parts. It’s going to need a major overhaul
Both pickups will be left the way they are, 56 and 57.

Cheers
joshbuchan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: If it was built in December 1956, what model year is it? Reply with quote

[quote="Vancity"]
joshbuchan wrote:

Yes Cool
Trying to find a house to buy on the island right now

quote]

well well well........isn't that convenient im trying to sell a house on the island right now Wink we should talk Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: