Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinetreeporsche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:48 am    Post subject: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

Preferably quiet, incorporating mosquito screen, presumably fed 12V from the battery- any good candidates? Probably are some mentioned in other threads, but a search yields so many with misc titles that there's no telling what's in the thread.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

I like the FantasticFan. It comes with a tinted vent cover but I swapped that out for clear.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
gbrandt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
I like the FantasticFan. It comes with a tinted vent cover but I swapped that out for clear.

How is the fit in the existing hole?
Canada to Europe and back (including Turkey, Morocco and Iceland), 2017 to 2019
Mexico 2022-2023
https://www.instagram.com/live.travel.play/
http://livetravelplay.ca
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

I don’t know. This is installed on a NAHT (high-top).

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
cmayna
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

I'd love to find a fan for a stock westy skylight opening. Solar powered?

Craig
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
FantasticFans are great. Unfortunately they are also tall, so if you barely clear your garage door with the stock vent there may be a problem.
(not an issue with the NAHT tops Wink )

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Multiman mv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

You’ve probably already seen these but in case you haven’t, here’s a solar powered fan/skylight. Well I know it doesn’t let much if any light in but it fits the opening. Only problem is that cvc has been out of stock for a while.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25-t3-and-vanagon-westfalia-solar-skylight/
photogdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:
You’ve probably already seen these but in case you haven’t, here’s a solar powered fan/skylight. Well I know it doesn’t let much if any light in but it fits the opening. Only problem is that cvc has been out of stock for a while.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25-t3-and-vanagon-westfalia-solar-skylight/

Made in North America, huh? Where can we buy them here?

My Westy Movies:
photogdave On Vimeo
photogdave On YouTube

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

In the marine world there are a number of options for the solar fans. Most any marine store will have them. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinco--4-day-nigh...gK6MfD_BwE

They don't move a ton of air though. I always thought about mounting a larger computer fan up there. At times it would be helpful to more a lot of air out of that vent when it's hot or when cooking something steamy on the stove. Seems like a computer fan would be thin enough, comes in clear and some of them move a lot of air. It's one of the many projects on my list of upgrades:-)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

cmayna wrote:
I'd love to find a fan for a stock westy skylight opening. Solar powered?

As for solar powered, a 12v fan can run off the van’s solar and batteries. Solar alone probably wouldn’t move the CFM that a solar+battery would. The Fantastic vent moves a lot of air at 100%.

Abscate wrote:

Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

pinetreeporsche wrote:
that also lets light in?

heres another marine vent, weighs less than 2 pounds it seems
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/nicro-ventilation--solar-minivent-1000--183733

mount it to a clear skylight and Bob's your Uncle, mate!

Fantastic-Vent is more like 12 pounds.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

^^^ that looks like a good option to move a bit of air when the sun is shining on it. At 116 CFM it moves quite a bit less than the 920 CFM of the Fantastic Vent and I doubt it would do this:

Abscate wrote:

SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

I was thinking something like this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200055 or maybe 2 smaller 120mm fans side by side. Some of the fans have lights so that might be an interesting option.

The other factor I was thinking about is how many cubic feet are in a Westy with he top up. For back of the napkin math I am going with 12 feet of length, 4 feet wide and 7 feet tall(top up) which comes out to 336 cubic feet. 336 is probably generous given the cabinets. It seems like a fan moving 100 CFM would do okay against 300 cubic feet.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

Multiman mv wrote:

I want one! I checked Dr. Bjorn's to see if perhaps they offer them in North America but didn't see it on their site.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

From an HVAC standpoint, circulating air at 6-10 air changes per hour is more than adequate and is what most restroom and locker rooms are designed for.

Using your 300 CF volume and 10 air changes per hour, it works out to 30-50 CFM. A 100 CFM fan would provide 20 air changes per hour. If the goal is cooling that's great. If you just want air movement to prevent mold or stale air a much smaller fan would work just fine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

^^^ That’s helpful information. Thanks.

Abscate wrote:

chimivee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
I was thinking something like this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200055

I mounted a similar 230mm fan in the skylight. It seems to make a difference, although I couldn't quantify it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

I was sick of my original Westy skylight rattling and rusting and generally being a disappointment. So when you get sick of something like that you get motivated to make permanent changes. I bought a MaxxFan and it requires a standard 14" x 14" hole.

Original hole.

Original hole.

After surgery.

How the fan fits.

From the inside.

Profile. Notice the gaping hole where the water channel exists, below the fan flange.

The finished install required a 1/8" 6061 aluminum plate, with a 14"x14" hole cut in it, to sit over the molded rainwater channels in the roof, looking a lot like this when it was done:

I also made some close-fit inserts out of cutting board material to fit in the water channel openings. With butyl caulking and self leveling sealing, it is waterproof. Not very pretty, but totally functional. This thing moves air and can make the van very pleasant on a hot day. Goodbye and good riddance to the original skylight.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

I have the same Maxxair fan in my chevy baja rig. I absolutely love it.
I was looking for a lot more than keeping the air from getting stale and that fan delivered.
I stayed cool at night on hot desert beaches and was able to cook fish in the van and have the maxxair act as a very powerful exhaust vent.
Unfortunately I am way to much of a prude to cut into my precious westies .
I wonder how much work it would be to modify the fan rather than the top.
human compass
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Reply with quote

Man, this would be such an amazing kit. I'm surprised one of the big vendors hasn't tackled it yet.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: