Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Is the New Beetle's time up?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

Swan song new Beetle, the new VW heritage vehicle is the bus (Buzz):
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/03/07/vw-new-beetle-discontinued/
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

The first re-make of the Beetle was just a huge disappointment to me mainly due to the looks of the thing. You had to stretch your imagination quite a bit to see the resemblance. This latest offering is much better in fact I was in a VW dealership last year and looking at a convertible. Now I am not a new car buyer, I have only bought 1 new car in 40 years of driving but I was seriously tempted by this new Bug!

...until the salesman told me they were not available with standard shift transmissions!!!

...couldn't get out of there fast enough... wanted to puke... Shocked
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

I was at our local dealer killing time this last weekend. When asked what we needed, the answer was manual tranny. His reply was, I think we have one, but it is a diesel, we didn't even look, cause it was either and old VW or not even a VW. We just laughed and left.
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
The first re-make of the Beetle was just a huge disappointment to me mainly due to the looks of the thing. You had to stretch your imagination quite a bit to see the resemblance. This latest offering is much better in fact I was in a VW dealership last year and looking at a convertible. Now I am not a new car buyer, I have only bought 1 new car in 40 years of driving but I was seriously tempted by this new Bug!

...until the salesman told me they were not available with standard shift transmissions!!!

...couldn't get out of there fast enough... wanted to puke... Shocked

Laughing

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2...peyton.JPG
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f...peyton.JPG

Sick

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ps2375
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

At least there are no eye lashes.
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

1998 - 2018 was a pretty good run
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The White 1999 NB 2nd from the left was mine, this photo is from the VW Classic.
This car was tons of fun, lots of power with the 1.8T, 5 speed, and I upgraded the suspension and brakes.
The Tan 2005 NB Convertible again with the 1.8T, 5 speed is much more reliable than the '99.
Sorry to see the end, again.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

I loved my old Bugs, I liked my Rabbit, I love my Jetta TDIs but have never driven a New Beetle. I suspect they are no different to drive than a Jetta with no connection to the Beetle once you are inside the car.

The old Bug would never survive the new generation of drivers with modern expectations. It was never a drive and ignore car, it had a personality that demanded constant attention and spending to give you that satisfaction of experiancing a unique car.

Not unlike a good lady... Shocked Laughing

Hmmm... maybe that explains the divorce rate! Wink
Patty B.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

Seems the New New Beetle will continued to be built for the American market for a while still:
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/03/22/vw-beetle-not-dead-yet/

Seems to me they should keep the convertible model going world wide like they did the convertible Beetle and Rabbit--it should be a good seller.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

Of all the VWs I have had I have never owned a convertible Beetle. It is something I would still like to have and the newest one actually does resemble the original enough for my tastes. However if it is only offered with an automatic transmission I will not buy one. I buy small sporty driving cars because I like to work the peddles myself. I am not disabled nor old enough to require an automatic!

Yet...
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

When I was looking for a convertible Beetle my choice was between a vintage air cooled and the New Beetle. Aside from the New Beetle costing 4 times what I could get a vintage one for, the rear seat in the New Beetle was not suitable for adults, and its backrest looked impossibly upright to be comfortable for any length of time, compared to the vintage vert, whose back seat was spacious and comfortable for two adults. The decision was easy. Very Happy

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
droopync
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

I have a 2003 1.8 turbo beetle and a 68 beetle and i dig both for what they are. wish the new gen would be a lot smaller that would be a good start.rwd drive would be ideal. fwds not all bad though,,pulls niceee. but yeah smaller would be much more fun.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is the New Beetle's time up? Reply with quote

droopync wrote:
I have a 2003 1.8 turbo beetle and a 68 beetle and i dig both for what they are. wish the new gen would be a lot smaller that would be a good start.rwd drive would be ideal. fwds not all bad though,,pulls niceee. but yeah smaller would be much more fun.

I bought my only two new cars , and one was a 2003 1.8 turbo convertible NB. Still running and enjoying it. 30 mpg, comfortable on a three hour work run, good heat and traction in winter, great AC summer.

I really should change its timing belt though
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: