Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Performance Chassis for T1
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Thank you vwo60. Great progress, it looks like you may be able to answer a couple questions that I have and didn't find covered on the translated web site. How does this kit change the front track? My other question is more specific to my Berry Mini-T body, with its fenders that dip down between the wheels and faux hood. If you place a strait edge across the tops of the 2 shock towers and measure from that down to the top of the frame tunnel, how high are the top of the shock towers above the tunnel?

Thanks for taking the lead on this! I was interested in the Eyeball Engineering front, but it is no longer available.
vwo60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

I will measure that today and get back to you, as you the eyeball front end, it looks flimsy with to much going on and the use of steering components as pivots does not look right to me, as for the track it is standard.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

ev fun, even if there is some interfearance with that system and your fenderskirts/inner fenders, glass is easy to clearance and make some good looking bumps,bubbles what ever to make it look right & good.or you could hack it up as many do Shocked Rolling Eyes . my drag car is struts (27 ford roadster with full fenders, not a t bucket) the struts& part of the round tube chassis go through that portion of the fenders. just cut for clearance so it all sits where it needs to be and then make a "spacer" to go over the frame/suspension parts protruding through for some clearance then use that for a mold to make the proper removable covers or permanent repair to the glass. mine being round tube chassie Ill just use the right size PVC plastic pipe cut in half for the inner mold to snap right over the chassie tubes. be sure to know how &what to use for glass work like release agents & other stuff so you dont glass the "spacers" to the body Evil or Very Mad that wouldn't be fun to remove.
Im kinda suprized nobody is using a existing spinal from what ever so no mods will be required to it.... also the rear "A" arms I like a wider spread of the chassis mounts (wider a arm)..probably longer too...but the length would have to be worked out with the chassis&engine along with some brains.... but as it is it's it appears to be light years ahead of the koolrides mendolia stuff.
PumaVW79
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

TheViking wrote:

If you use chrome you can right click on the page and chose translate:)

There is an English version of this site: https://www.imohr.com.br/en
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

PumaVW79 wrote:
TheViking wrote:

If you use chrome you can right click on the page and chose translate:)

There is an English version of this site: https://www.imohr.com.br/en

thanks Smile
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

H2OSB wrote:
Plipton wrote:
The Vintech 550 uses Eyeball Engineering front, BuggyT4. Smile Sadly Bruce Bewarder (the CEO, founder, owner etc) died a few months ago.

Oh no, is he the same as the EHV guy who makes the replacement convertible rails?

H2OSB

I'm not sure. It's a different company but I bought my rails through Bruce. Not that I am likely to use them, but as I was having the Eyeball shipped at great expense I decided to get those too .... just in case Smile

Last edited by Plipton on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Not wanting to be a party-pooper here but there are things about the Brazilian system I am not keen on.

1. The anti-roll (sway) bar mounts to the wishbones (A arms) like the stock ones mount to the trailing arms, only on the side of the wishbone rather than underneath like stock. The mount is likely to twist rather than put any meaningful energy into the bar. This needs redesigning IMO to bolt to something more solidly.

2. The front suspension bolts to the mini floorpans just in front of Napolean's hat. Are they strong enough to resist flexing? They could be reinforced easily enough I guess.

3. The race version has welded spindles. These (same as Kevin's) will almost certainly not pass European TÜV, British MoT or Antipodean WoF.

4. Rear. As already mentioned elsewhere the forward mounting points under the torsion tubes are not there on many cars so would need fabricating

5. Early cars had a straight upper rear shock mounts. It might be that they can accommodate this but I haven't seen it.

6. The coil-overs look quite weedy compared to the Fox shocks on Kevin's system.

7. There doesn't appear to be any option for a rear anti-roll bar

Other than those quite minor points it appears to be a very well thought out system. A few modifications will add to the cost but might be worth the effort for someone coming into the market looking for this type of setup now.

Good effort by the Brazilians!

Last edited by Plipton on Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Sorry, me again.

Slightly off topic, but I ordered, and paid for, a UTF oil cooler mount from Kevin a year ago. Apart from one email apologising for the delay (4 months ago) I have not been able to get hold of him for love nor money and my mount was never sent to me.

Does anyone on here know of another solution for mounting a cooler under the rear wing? I know it's not ideal (although Porsche does it) but I have zero space anywhere else to put one.

Also, Kevin has had my spindles for nearly a year. They were badly welded and he was going to replace them. I sent them back at his request (cost over US$100 to post) but I suppose I'll never see them again.

Does anyone on here live in San Diego, who would be willing to knock on his door and ask him to send them, or pick them up and send them (at my cost) to me please?
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Plipton wrote:
Not wanting to be a party-pooper here but there are things about the Brazilian system I am not keen on.

1. The anti-roll (sway) bar mounts to the wishbones (A arms) like the stock ones mount to the trailing arms, only on the side of the wishbone rather than underneath like stock. The mount is likely to twist rather than put any meaningful energy into the bar. This needs redesigning IMO to bolt to something more solidly.

2. The front suspension bolts to the mini floorpans just in front of Napolean's hat. Are they strong enough to resist flexing? They could be reinforced easily enough I guess.

3. The race version has welded spindles. These (same as Kevin's) will almost certainly not pass European TÜV, British MoT or Antipodean WoF.

4. Rear. As already mentioned elsewhere the forward mounting points under the torsion tubes are not there on many cars so would need fabricating

5. Early cars had a straight upper rear shock mounts. It might be that they can accommodate this but I haven't seen it.

6. The coil-overs look quite weedy compared to the Fox shocks on Kevin's system.

Other than those quite minor points it appears to be a very well thought out system. A few modifications will add to the cost but might be worth the effort for someone coming into the market looking for this type of setup now.

Yes i will not use race version but street with stock spindles:) you think it will pass TÜV?

The roll bar fix ill do if it is doable

Coilovers can be replaced right?
BuggyT4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Plipton wrote:
Sorry, me again.

Slightly off topic, but I ordered, and paid for, a UTF oil cooler mount from Kevin a year ago. Apart from one email apologising for the delay (4 months ago) I have not been able to get hold of him for love nor money and my mount was never sent to me.

Does anyone on here know of another solution for mounting a cooler under the rear wing? I know it's not ideal (although Porsche does it) but I have zero space anywhere else to put one.

Also, Kevin has had my spindles for nearly a year. They were badly welded and he was going to replace them. I sent them back at his request (cost over US$100 to post) but I suppose I'll never see them again.

Does anyone on here live in San Diego, who would be willing to knock on his door and ask him to send them, or pick them up and send them (at my cost) to me please?

You mean that you sent to KEVIN ZAGAR a.k.a. COOLRYDES money for an item, and he never shipped it to you? Is this what is called MAIL FRAUD and THEFT, or is it not the legal definition of it? In case someone with better legal knowledge than me reads this, kindly advise.

So, you also had problem with his lousy spindles? Funny (not for you and I), because here above, in this very discussion, he said that he only ever had a problem with two pairs of spindles, mine, and those on the pretty blue and white Manxter owned by Tom_Kathleen. I know of at least another pair discarded somewhere in Australia, so that makes it at least 4, and I would bet that it is a lot more than 4, however when people start complaining, he threatens them with defamation lawsuits, so most of them keep quiet.

You sent to him your spindles (like he asked me to), but he never shipped back to you either a pair of new ones (supposedly improved, however based on his vague reply when I asked him what the improvements were, I seriously doubt it), or your own spindles? I wonder what new excuse he is going to come up with, to justify all of this. He has a very creative side when it comes to finding good reasons, generally consisting of finding fault with the other guy. Let's see what he comes up with, this time... I am so glad that I never shipped mine to him, I would have lost the cost of shipping, and I would never have seen them again, nor received new ones.

Last edited by BuggyT4 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
vwo60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

EVfun wrote:
Thank you vwo60. Great progress, it looks like you may be able to answer a couple questions that I have and didn't find covered on the translated web site. How does this kit change the front track? My other question is more specific to my Berry Mini-T body, with its fenders that dip down between the wheels and faux hood. If you place a strait edge across the tops of the 2 shock towers and measure from that down to the top of the frame tunnel, how high are the top of the shock towers above the tunnel?

Thanks for taking the lead on this! I was interested in the Eyeball Engineering front, but it is no longer available.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Please find attached a drawing of the shock towers on the front end. I have included both systems of measurement as I understand that the US has not progress to the metric system.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwo60
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Plipton wrote:

1/ Sway bars for our's are being custom made and you can ask Imhor to do any modifications at the time of manufacture.

2/ Front end is also welded to the pan at the frame head next to the fuel line, we will attach the outer point attach at the body mounting bolts.

3/ Avoid the welded spindles like the plaque . no hope of compliance in countries with an engineering process.

4/ Simple to fabricate a suitable mount that is far superior in strength than the excuse VW puts on there cars, photo if required.

5/ Ask at time of manufacture to have them made to fit your application.

6/ Shocks are not weedy in the flesh but are not of a standard such as fox or Bilstien.

7/ Rear bar easily fabricated and brackets installed to suit.
BuggyT4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

It is great that Imohr will modify their products to suit a specific application. I really wish their products were around at the time of my built.
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Soind even better!

I got to give you creds for the diss of Americas progression Laughing got a nice laugh in the morning:)
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:44 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

BuggyT4 wrote:
Plipton wrote:
Sorry, me again.

You mean that you sent to KEVIN ZAGAR a.k.a. COOLRYDES money for an item, and he never shipped it to you? Is this what is called MAIL FRAUD and THEFT, or is it not the legal definition of it? In case someone with better legal knowledge than me reads this, kindly advise.

So, you also had problem with his lousy spindles? Funny (not for you and I), because here above, in this very discussion, he said that he only ever had a problem with two pairs of spindles, mine, and those on the pretty blue and white Manxter owned by Tom_Kathleen. I know of at least another pair discarded somewhere in Australia, so that makes it at least 4, and I would bet that it is a lot more than 4, however when people start complaining, he threatens them with defamation lawsuits, so most of them keep quiet.

You sent to him your spindles (like he asked me to), but he never shipped back to you either a pair of new ones (supposedly improved, however based on his vague reply when I asked him what the improvements were, I seriously doubt it), or your own spindles? I wonder what new excuse he is going to come up with, to justify all of this. He has a very creative side when it comes to finding good reasons, generally consisting of finding fault with the other guy. Let's see what he comes up with, this time... I am so glad that I never shipped mine to him, I would have lost the cost of shipping, and I would never have seen them again, nor received new ones.

I can only report on my own experiences, of course, but yes I did send the spindles back as requested (early version which I think I read were like yours, BuggyT4). The welding was very poor in places and they were the same ones as the 2 failures he mentioned. They had caliper brackets welded to them but not fixed on straight so the caliper sat high at one end (the pads were proud of the disk, if that makes sense). Easy to rectify, I just didn't think it would take so long to (not) get them back corrected/replaced.

Not sure about the legal definitions but again, yes I paid my money and never received the UTF mount. That was June last year and to date I have received nothing. Very poor service, which is a real shame as I know Kevin does some really good work - check him out on Facebook and see all the stuff he's making. There's some really cool stuff there (if you can get it!).
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

TheViking wrote:
Plipton wrote:

Yes i will not use race version but street with stock spindles:) you think it will pass TÜV?

The roll bar fix ill do if it is doable

Coilovers can be replaced right?

All easy to fix and all minor points. Smile
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

vwo60 wrote:
Plipton wrote:

1/ Sway bars for our's are being custom made and you can ask Imhor to do any modifications at the time of manufacture.

2/ Front end is also welded to the pan at the frame head next to the fuel line, we will attach the outer point attach at the body mounting bolts.

3/ Avoid the welded spindles like the plaque . no hope of compliance in countries with an engineering process.

4/ Simple to fabricate a suitable mount that is far superior in strength than the excuse VW puts on there cars, photo if required.

5/ Ask at time of manufacture to have them made to fit your application.

6/ Shocks are not weedy in the flesh but are not of a standard such as fox or Bilstien.

7/ Rear bar easily fabricated and brackets installed to suit.

Good to hear that they are keen to look after their customers in this way and that you have already found solutions.

I think the price is a winner. The Fox shocks add a lot to the Mendeola's costs and with the cheaper ones (which are probably fine for 99% of people) the whole system would be less expensive to buy.

I've already got a Mendeola system on my car so no plans to change it now. I am pleased to see there is now a realistic alternative available (the others I've looked at didn't seem up to the job, IMO)
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:50 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Me too:) looking forward to having the cash Razz
Plipton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

TheViking wrote:

Jeg trodde alle var rike i Norge Very Happy
TheViking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Performance Chassis for T1 Reply with quote

Plipton wrote:
TheViking wrote:

Jeg trodde alle var rike i Norge Very Happy

Nei, men det er hvertfall stĝrre middelklasse enn i USA Razz og jeg er bare 17 ċr gammel Wink
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75  Next
Jump to:
Page 71 of 75

Jump to: