Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge??
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge?? Reply with quote

hey guys I was going with a fuel tank (aftermarket).it has a 0-to-90 ohm fuel sender in the tank 2 wires.can I use this with a stock 74 vw beetle speedometer with the built in gas gauge??.do I need any other parts to make it work?.or do I have to use a new 90 ohm gas gauge??.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rugblaster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge?? Reply with quote

you could use a resistor to get the empty reading down a bit to 75 ohms.....Full is 0 ohms........some of the sending units have adjusting tabs on them.

VWoA factory trained line tech 75 till 90 or so
ASE Master Certification
VWoA Assoc. of Quality Technicians inductee (One of 25 in the five state southwest region)
La Confrerie des Chevaliers du Tastevin (San Angelo Chapter)
TCU ......GO FROGS!!!!!!
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge?? Reply with quote

that is pretty much Chinese to me rugblaster.i just know the tank I am getting is 0 to 90 ohms.so I take it what u are saying is the vw speedos gas gauge takes lower/ higher than 90 ohms?.so I use a resistor to bring sender down some?.sorry.the whole ohm and gas gauge stuff is new to me.i am mediocre when it comes to wiring.i just understand the basics.getting into ohms and resistors is beyond me.temporarily it seems.sorry trying to understand it so I don't fry stuff.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge?? Reply with quote

now I got what u were saying empty tank reading is 75 ohms,and a full tank reads 0 ohms.so it is compatible with my vw gauge?.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge?? Reply with quote

is there a place I could find a wiring schematic so I know how to wire it up?.thanks guys.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge?? Reply with quote

I guess the question actually is whats the stock ohms of a 1974 vw beetle gas gauge and what can I do to make it compatible to my 0 to 90 ohm sending unit.maybe I should of asked it that way?.because I do not understand it.lol
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge?? Reply with quote

Stock VW:
Resistance:
Empty = 10 Ohms
Full = 80 Ohm

$20 for the correct one:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1729187
jspbtown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge?? Reply with quote

http://www.midsouthvw.com/TechTips/tech_tip_FuelGauge.htm
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:51 am    Post subject: Re: aftermarket 0-90 ohm fuel sender, to a vw gas gauge?? Reply with quote

thank u jspbtown.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: