Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starts then loses fire, then won't start again
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bayouboy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:11 am    Post subject: Starts then loses fire, then won't start again Reply with quote

Now it won't start at all. Turns over good. It was starting and would run 1min or 5 hrs but it's like someone would turn the ignition off and all it does is spin. Ignition wire at the new coil shows 12.6 volts but no spark in (clear) distributor cap. 1972 type II 1600 in fiberglass buggy. This problem just started, been riding this buggy for 2+ years
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Starts then loses fire, then won't start again Reply with quote

Replace the clear dist cap with a good quality Bosch cap. Those transparent things are complete junk and should not even be sold.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
Bayouboy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Starts then loses fire, then won't start again Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Replace the clear dist cap with a good quality Bosch cap. Those transparent things are complete junk and should not even be sold.

Ok, that's helpful.

I put it to see the spark.
Wetstuff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Starts then loses fire, then won't start again Reply with quote

Given you have three posts, Boy, you might wanna listen to someone with 12,000.

Jim
Manx #2614
Bayouboy63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Starts then loses fire, then won't start again Reply with quote

Wetstuff wrote:
Given you have three posts, Boy, you might wanna listen to someone with 12,000.

Jim

Yep. Helpful again. I have a Bosch 009 with electronic compu fire in it, I put the clear cap just to see. No fire, Bosch cap back on it now, still no fire....No need to be an ass about it!!! Thanks again.
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Starts then loses fire, then won't start again Reply with quote

My guess would be either the compufire module or the coil have failed. There are instructions all over the internet describing how to test a coil. I have no idea how to test a Compufire. Maybe install points and see if it runs?

That clear distributor cap is unreliable ... there are lots of reports of them failing.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Starts then loses fire, then won't start again Reply with quote

Put a test lamp on negative (#1) terminal of coil... Attach other side of test lamp to ground....

Spin up engine with starter, if test lamp flashes off/on/off/on/off/on distributor and coil are good.... IF it does not flash coil may have open winding on primary side, or electronic module is not being trigger by magnet or module is fried...

One of these can be your new best friend...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
YDBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Starts then loses fire, then won't start again Reply with quote

Had the compufire module in mine just go bad about 10 years ago...went back to points, no problems. Sometimes they just fail.
'64 baja
'60 dune buggy
'73 Personenkraftwagen Type 182 "Thing"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: