Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

bsrad wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
Front 4.4-0.9= 3.5
Rear 4+0.9= 4.9
Now I just need to figure out what and where to shim.

either aim the front diff flange down more, or the flange on the nose of the down less. Since one of the goals is to not exceed 4 degrees, I would prioritize raising the nose of the transaxle if possible..
I think this might be worth a try:
Syncro Jael wrote:
work on the transaxle mounts bringing the nose up a degree or so. I believe I can do this by removing the washer on the rear mounts.

if your prop shaft is not new or newly rebuilt, then it may need replacing also

I like a slip yoke prop shaft, or a stock one with the rubber guibo, not a fan of the solid donutless model mentioned up the page.
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

Jon_slider wrote:
bsrad wrote:
Jon_slider wrote:
Front 4.4-0.9= 3.5
Rear 4+0.9= 4.9
Now I just need to figure out what and where to shim.

either aim the front diff flange down more, or the flange on the nose of the down less. Since one of the goals is to not exceed 4 degrees, I would prioritize raising the nose of the transaxle if possible..
I think this might be worth a try:
Syncro Jael wrote:
work on the transaxle mounts bringing the nose up a degree or so. I believe I can do this by removing the washer on the rear mounts.

if your prop shaft is not new or newly rebuilt, then it may need replacing also

I like a slip yoke prop shaft, or a stock one with the rubber guibo, not a fan of the solid donutless model mentioned up the page.

Thanks for the tips guys.

The slip yoke prop shaft that I have I had rebuilt last week. I added one washer to the front diff mount. After this morning’s test drive I still have a small vib between 45-50mph but then goes away above that. Now I think I will now turn my attention to trying to get the transaxle nose up a bit. I need to look at bringing the rear (I believe Small Car) motor mounts down a bit.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

I'm working through improving my alignment. Reading Shooftie's blog helped me understand things even better, thanks for that. I need to raise my nosecone just a tad. I read this part:

Quote:

I'd like to do that but is that really a viable solution? The trans casing forks would be resting directly on the rubber bushings, seems like the bushings may not work as intended that way.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

So I unbolted the front differential mount and jacked it up, slowly letting it back down until the measurement from centerline on the trans to the ground was the same as the front* (actually since my laser was making concentric circles this involved a healthy dose of geometry). I then placed enough fender washers under the rubber mount to pull the jack away and re-bolt in the slightly elevated position. Took it for a test drive and found the vibrations above 60 to be reduced! They are now barely perceptible, it takes a well-tuned ass to detect them. FWIW my driveline does not have an angle to the protection bars (0° droop).

* I am aware that this method is inherently flawed, as distance from the ground does not equate to angle of the object. However, given that both nosecones are fairly close to engineered hinge points (chassis mounts) it seems a decent kludge that avoids the challenge of trying to measure flange angle at the U-joints themselves. If anyone has a simple method of measuring flange angles, please post it!
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

I measure flange angles w iphone app Clinometer, without removing propshaft. If you jack up rear of van to make propshaft level, you can skip the math and just use the angles reported

I measure vibrations with iphone app iSeismometer, with phone in a secured Proclip mount

To be sure vibes are not from other factors, remive oropshaft and get a baseline from iSeismometer
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

How do you get a good alignment between your phone and the flanges?
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

The edge of the phone fits against the part of the diff flanges that are wider than the propshaft flange.
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

I think I'm envisioning this wrong; are you saying that you rest the phone vertically against the back of the diff / trans flange to measure the angle from vertical?
Because otherwise I'm imaging the phone placed horizontally against just the flange lip and that seems prone to significant imprecision.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

Yes, long edge of phone vertical on the small amount of flange that protudes. Theres enough to get a small flat surface to press the edge of the phone to, or remove propshaft for larger flat

Front and back of Phone face sides of van, left and right edges of phone face front and rear

Cant find a pic for you
Hope you understand
flomulgator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

No need, that makes sense now. A novel approach!
nilza
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

Hi from Australia!

I've been chasing a slight vibration for about a year now. That is finally now resolved, so I thought I might share my experience.

I replaced all the mounts with genuine, managed to find genuine specification unis from hardy spicer, managed to find a genuine donut out of germany and had a machine shop cut open the shaft, remanufacter the center bearings and regrind and chrome the pilot shaft inside. Everything has been laser aligned and flange angles are within 0.2 degrees

But I still had a slight rising vibration. I decided to do a bit of learning about balancing and the machines they use.

Long story short, the standard for balancing automotive propshafts is ISO G16, the Syncro shaft is balanced to higher standard out of the factory. Ask your shop to balance to G6.3.

Worked for me, smooth and buttery 4WD for now.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

nilza wrote:
...Everything has been laser aligned and flange angles are within 0.2 degrees

But I still had a slight rising vibration.....

Long story short, the standard for balancing automotive propshafts is ISO G16, the Syncro shaft is balanced to higher standard out of the factory. Ask your shop to balance to G6.3.

Worked for me, smooth and buttery 4WD for now.

Yay
I never heard anyone suggest balancing to a higher spec before, glad it worked for you

curious how big the actual front and rear diff flange angles are too, are they both near 4 degrees, rear up, front down, when propshaft is horizontal? stock motor?
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

Another thing to keep in mind (maybe it was listed earlier) is the alignment of the transaxle to the front diff. They need to be inline with each other.
I used a regular construction laser to check this based on the case halves.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Also, (from watching that video Jael posted) all the up/down orientations while checking the angles are based on the the front of the vehicle.
So the drawing of the Syncro drivetrain on page 2 would be:
Front diff - down
Driveshaft - down
Transaxle - up

Have I got that right?

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

nilza wrote:
Long story short, the standard for balancing automotive propshafts is ISO G16, the Syncro shaft is balanced to higher standard out of the factory. Ask your shop to balance to G6.3..

I could be wrong, but I doubt any shop in the US will even know what ISO means, let alone balancing to a specific specification. Maybe in car-culture California.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Steve Arndt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

On the topic of the drive shaft I have a question about mine. If I rock it back and forth by hand it makes a tink clink kind of sound inside. If I overly lug the engine I can also hear it. Is this the bushing inside being worn? It hasn't gotten worse over the last 15 years and doesn't vibrate. I'm curious.

Thanks
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

Steve Arndt wrote:
If I rock it back and forth by hand it makes a tink clink kind of sound inside. If I overly lug the engine I can also hear it. Is this the bushing inside being worn?

google says
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6287616&highlight=ping#6287616

syncrodoka wrote:
The ping is from the driveshaft. It has been concluded in the past that it is due to a worn internal pair of brass bushings.

Here are a few people's attempts to dig in and resolve the issue.
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/aidan.talbot/syncroprop/index.html
http://shufti.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/vanagon-mak...-part-one/
http://shufti.wordpress.com/2012/06/06/vanagon-making-new-syncro-propshaft-internal-bushings-part-2/

handjammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

Syncro Jael wrote:

I added washers under the front mounting bolt on the front diff to adjust the angle to match the transaxle. This needed to be done with the Subaru conversion. It did not take much at all to get a vibration free ride. But it drove me crazy for a while!

Just so I understand correctly, you added fender washers below the front mount bushing to increase the front diff flange angle. That's underneath item 6 labeled in the photo below, correct?

And likewise, to lower the flange angle one would add shims above the large washer labeled #8?

I'm also curious how many syncro owners with vibrations are using powerflex bushings. My van's PO put new poly bushings on the rear mounts, but the single front mount point still has the original bushing. I'm hoping this mismatch is causing my vibrations...
bsrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

handjammer wrote:
I'm also curious how many syncro owners with vibrations are using powerflex bushings. My van's PO put new poly bushings on the rear mounts, but the single front mount point still has the original bushing. I'm hoping this mismatch is causing my vibrations...

I did my best to alighn with lasers and exspensive magnetic digital angle finders. Added the fender washers under the front mount of the front diff (#6 as you asked) but just couldn’t get the slight vibration to go away. I removed my new Powerflex bushings from the front and ordered new stock vw rubber ones and vibration gone. Well maybe it didn’t go away, probably just can’t feel it any more.

-----------

1987 Syncro Westy
1967 OG Single Cab
1976 FJ40
peterT3syncro
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

Digging up an old thread I know, but looking for some ideas please.
I am trying to setup the driveshaft between the transaxle and front differential
My 1990 syncro equipped with a Subaru 2.2.
The last few years the vehicle has been in "dry- dock" have a full restoration.
I started on the driveshaft last week.
The original shaft I removed when I first parked the vehicle.
In the meantime I had opportunity to purchase a spare replacement shaft which is much like the GoWesty plain shaft - no rubber doughnut.
Having read various article about phasing, etc, I checked the flange angles at both the transaxle output and the front differential.
I had previously up graded the transaxle front mounts and front diff mounts with units from Chris at T3 technique.

Measuring angles I used my smart phone and the Inclinometer app.

With the vehicle setup level - chassis level with a spirit level, the transaxle flange had a reading of 0 degrees (vertical) - or output shaft (pinion) Horizontal or parallel with chassis rail.

The front differential had a down reading of 7 degrees.

Now, if you apply the logic in the following clip these angles are wrong.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Idk3BVDVHq4

So, do I lessen the angle on the front diff and tip the transaxle nose down?

I don't see much adjustment at the engine mount? Possibly a SmallCar mount -(previous owner)

To raise the flange on the front differential - a certain amount can be raised but limited by the gear-shift conduit tube which is above the differential

I can see a way to raise the rear of the front diff which involves removing the hanger bar ( and flipping it over and positioning it under the diff, and extend the mount brackets back to the top of the diff hanging bolts.
The front of the diff is limited in adjustment due to the CV output shafts which are some 15mm above the chassis rails.

Anybody ?

Type 3 Syncro Kombi, EJ22 Subaru
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Calling the Experts : Flange angles on Syncro's. Reply with quote

It doesn't matter what the flange angles are relative to the chassis or the ground, that's silly, the u-joints only see the net angle between the flanges, and the idea it has to be right at 8º is equally absurd. There just needs to be a small angle between the flanges so the u-joints lope. You have 7º, run it.

Take apart and lube the internal shaft/bushings, that's where most vibration and noise (the famous pinging) comes from.

Harder transaxle and front diff mounts can't create vibration but will accentuate any vibes there are. I can see using them for suspension elements for some applications but not for engine and trans mounts, there's no palpable benefit to stiffer mountings there.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: