Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacement speedometer bulbs?/how to remove front glass??...
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: replacement speedometer bulbs?/how to remove front glass??... Reply with quote

hey guys does anyone sell replacement speedometer bulbs?,and the little canister with the metal prong that holds the bulb?.and how do u remove the glass off of your speedo to clean the inside?.is there a link on this anywhere?.also are the prongs suppose to be wiggly on the little canisters that hold the bulbs?...any info be great.trying to clean and refurbish mine.its around a 70,s I think.it has gas gauge built into the speedo.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: replacement speedometer bulbs?/how to remove front glass??... Reply with quote

Here is a couple of places for your bulbs and holders...

http://www2.cip1.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1730

http://www.westcoastmetric.com/c-1169512-vw-bug-1946-1979-electrical-light-bulbs.html

Only way into speedo I know of it remove front chrome bezel, have not done that so I can't help you..

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: replacement speedometer bulbs?/how to remove front glass??... Reply with quote

You can remove the glass by carefully prying up the lip on the backside of the speedo. Doesn’t need to be much, just enough to get the glass out. Then when done carefully bend it back.
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: replacement speedometer bulbs?/how to remove front glass??... Reply with quote

https://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/Borrowed/mult_gauge_repair.htm
Ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: replacement speedometer bulbs?/how to remove front glass??... Reply with quote

Several people in the classifieds sells both the plastic and metal housings. I bought 10 for 8 bucks shipped a few months ago. Actually got 15, and enough good bulbs included to outfit my speedo. And like said above, carefully lift chrome ring from front, you'll see two notches in the trim where the mounting tabs are. Use a small flat tip and slowly pry it off. To reinstall, hook the trim in place at the tab notch where you removed it and "spiral" it back on, at the last 1/2" or so remaining, slip the flat tip under it and work it into place, it will -pop- back on. Just did it last weekend to mine to clean it and replace the indicator plastics.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: replacement speedometer bulbs?/how to remove front glass??... Reply with quote

once again Thanks guys for all the help!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
markeaton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: replacement speedometer bulbs?/how to remove front glass??... Reply with quote

I just ordered some yesterday from Wolfburg West; both bulbs and holders.
62kellison
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: replacement speedometer bulbs?/how to remove front glass??... Reply with quote

worked great guys.i had a little 4 piece seal remover hook set from walmart.real cheap set.the angled one slipped behind the metal ring.i slid it around the speedo.it opend up the ring just enough.and i didnt leave any pry up marks, by sliding it around the inside edge of the ring.looks really nice!.thanks.bulbs and canisters r ordered.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: