Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

LandSpeed Buggy
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

thats great news about the tranny.
the car is looking great too.
if you get the tranny shipped ion thursday will you still be able to make it to the race?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Setback number 1, The brake lines had to run through the exhaust tubes to get to the caliper, slight miscalculation on how close a 5" narrowed axle puts the caliper to the heads. So move the calipers to the front of the axle which meant redoing all the brake ones I just did last week.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My transaxle will ship Wednesday which is great news although a month ago would have been better since now I have to pull the entire back of the car apart.

I test fit the engine to get the measurements to bend the rear sides around the valve covers and carbs and to make the access holes for valve adjustments and spark plug changes.

I cut a new bigger seal for the shift rod. It fits tighter to the rod and it provides a better seal to the firewall.

My 2 seater buggy is coming in at just under 14 feet long.

Rowan's Rocket's name sake. My wonderful nephew. He was super happy to sit in the seat and check out the new car. He's a constant inspiration to me. For someone who wasn't expected to walk, talk, or eat without a tube he has more than surpassed all expectations and done it with a smile and a wicked sense of humor.

The hood is glued to the body now and the first application of glass filler has filled in the seams. The side panes are fit and screwed in place and tomorrow I'll get rid of the remaining pain on the inside of the body and bond them to it will the pane adhesive I have. The body sat outside in the heat and elements for years on the ground or judging from the water stains on it's side so the fit between the hood and body wasn't that close but it came out alright with the help of some 3/8 bolts.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

I found the perfect Halloween costume. Dunebuggy Brad. Have I mentioned how much I hate sanding fiberglass, or just sanding in general. But, the sides are glued in and the seams along the side of the tub are filled and sanded as are all the seams on the hood. On to the top this week.

brad
Firebuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Love the Halloween costume! haha Razz

The cost of building an engine yourself is like converting to metric..."Double it and add thirty!"
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Got the top deck glued in place and filled all the seams. I extended the top of the hood 6" before I put the hinged section. Built a small deflector for over the steering wheel and back to the rear edge of the front deck.

And GREAT news. MY transaxle landed at work about 20 minutes ago from Vallis Motorsports in Welland Ont. so now I can pull the car apart and get that in and put everything in for good.

brad
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

That is Great News!

So will this allow you enough time to make this September?

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Im trying and still planning on it. I can see the end of the tunnel. A few miunting brackets and stiffeners for the sides behind the engine to make up. I have one axle and tube on tonite and the other axle is in and I'll take the other tube with me to work tomorrow to swap the end casting. Just about time to buy some race gas and light some candles.

brad
cdnltded
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Popcorn
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Great!

I will help in any way I can on site. Being there will answer more questions than I think I can ask.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

When we're in the pits its pretty busy but once were in line there's lots of time to talk. Ive got some friends with me to help with the general stuff but i have a great guy that knows vws to help out with the car and helps me belt in and get set to run. He crews for a 200mph car out of the midwest and has been doing this a long time so he really helps me out and stay focussed on the task at hand.

We always get together for suppers after racing lots of time to talk then also. But ya, hanging out and watching whats going on will give you a good sence of what it takes.

One of the guys posted a great quote on fb that totally sums up LS racing or many other endevors for that matter. "You're the only one that can do it. But you can't do it alone" . We all help each other out and theres usually a small army of friends and supporters back home doing a lot of things that lets one lucky SOB sit in the seat and go flat out for a minute and a half. He's the one with the dream and passion but so many help see it through.

Another 13 hour day in the books, many more to come.

Brad
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Can I make a trip north to help? The 70 pit bug has a reconditioned engine but might need the CV's repacked Wink Any holidays coming up?
I remember one conversation with your better half in the pits, "Rick, you need to fix him" Laughing
I'll bring the string and tape measure.
looking good Brad, glad you should be able to make it this year.
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Ya i got some holidays coming to me. Ive got a couple projects at work to finish and then i might take a few days. Thanks for the offer to come up but save your travel for Bonneville. Its hard to get others to help when youre making it up as you go along😁. I'm hoping that wheels staying where they should wont be an issue this time and me or the car wont need fixing.......

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

A 10 hour day today and several long nights last week but things are starting to take shape despite my back going out on me. Robaxecet is a wonderful thing.

My transaxle showed up Tuesday I had the axles in Tuesday night. The clutch cleaned and bolted on and the engine and transaxle bolted together ready to install. I finished trimming the old body to get it down to what I absolutely need

Wednesday I got the whole thing put in and got the shifter working after a bunch more monkeying around. I got the clutch bled and then promptly broke the bleeder screw tightening it for the last time.

Thursday I built the battery cables with #4 welding cable and solder on lugs built the last few wires that remained for main battery power to the dash and alternator to starter for charging.

Friday I got the new coil springs installed on the Spax shocks and got the rear suspension al bolted in

Today I got the seat belts installed for good as well as the seat. In such a compact car there's next to no room to work and things are really tight so it took almost 2 hours to get the right length on the crotch straps and shoulder harness that is hidden between the seat and firewall. I also cut out the access holes for the valve covers and finished trimming the holes for the axles. Next was bolting in the gas tank and hooking up all the lines. Last job for the day was powering up the car for the first time. I tried out a few circuits and no magic smoke came out so I must have done something right. I also disconnected the lines to the carbs and ran the fuel pump and a tank full of methanol through the system to flush out anything that might have been in the tank or lines.

My friend John thought it would be kinda cool to make the firewall out of aluminum 5 bar. I agree.

You can see the holes for access to the valve covers. I'll get John to cut me some panels to cover them.

The completed fuel system with a nozzle for the fire system seen to the left of it. I also went to a much stiffer spring in the back.

The Scat covers peeking out of the sides. You can also see where we bent the sides to clear the V/Cs and carbs.

The 6 point belts and some cockpit details.

Tomorrow I'll drill all the mounting holes for the side panels, finish powering up the last circuits and get all the fluids filled and get ready to fire this puppy up. I also have to finish laying up the fiberglass on the rear renders fill the holes in the tubes that run along the sides of the original body. It's supposed to be cooler the next couple of days so it'll give me some decent working time with the resin.

brad
60ragtop
Bonneville Belt Bitch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

WOW buddy Exclamation Nice work
How many sleeps till I can see this work of art in person at Bonneville?
I don't get to excited about going there anymore till I see something like this Smile
I coulda come up and helped with the belts Wink
Certified Hunter Wheel Alignment Master Technician 1986

tasb wrote:
I've restored a large number too, but I don't toot my horn quite as loud.

sb001 wrote:
maybe he just snapped cause his car sucked Wink
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Are you going to have the body painted before you race?
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Amazing fab work and progress! I chuckled when I noticed the bumps for the wiper lugs; gonna make it street legal after the record run?

Best regards and prayers for a safe run!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
Amazing fab work and progress! I chuckled when I noticed the bumps for the wiper lugs; gonna make it street legal after the record run?

Best regards and prayers for a safe run!

Thank you. As much as I wanted to make the body as smooth as possible I also wanted to keep the little things that are unique to buggy bodies like the wiper lugs, the recess in the front hood for the license plate and the air cleaner bump at the rear.

Yes Dave it will be painted. Colour and painter to be determined this week

I have a running race car. I fired up the engine momentarily to make sure everything was good to go. Set the fuel pressure. Fixed a couple of electrical mistakes and got the dash all working. The body work is finished so I took it outside and gave it all a good wash with the garden hose. I'll get it up to the shop to install all the inserts to bolt the sides on, finish a couple of small brackets, bolts the sides on, install and bleed the brakes and give the gearbox and run up and down the gears. The engine sounds WAY better with the added compression, can hardly wait to get the cam broken in and take this thing for a spin.

brad
GS guy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

Any chance you'll be rigging for a little manometer testing? Air flow around the engine will be interesting, to say the least!
Could give some insight on lift, engine temperature and possibly intake air flow? Will you be rigging a rear wing/spoiler as an engine cover, aero aid?
Jeff
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

I won't be using any airflow testing devices, as much as I would like to, my budget is shot for car construction this year.

We'll be building something at the back to hold the sides rigid, but what it's going to look like I don't know yet. Wings are drag and it would be down so low on the car the air would be too dirty to do anything effective, so it will probably just be some tube braces.

brad
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: LandSpeed Buggy Reply with quote

The sides are on. The firewall is bolted in. The wheels are pointed In the right direction. The brakes and clutch are bleed. The engine fired up on race fuel and broke in the cam. A bit of heat even cured a couple of oil droppers from the P/R tubes. Tomorrow I'll adjust the valves and bump the timing up and this crate is ready to test.. also got my AFR wired in tonight to see where the tune is.

brad
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 19

Jump to: