Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1970 Beetle idle problems
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aldous92107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:20 pm    Post subject: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

I bought a 1970 Beetle a few months ago. It had been running OK for the most part it always had a weak idle but a couple of days ago all of a sudden it won't idle at all. I can keep the engine running by giving gas but as soon as I take my foot off the pedal it dies. I looked up my carburetor about how to trouble shoot, adjust etc and I discover that my car does not have the correct stock carb on it.
So I have several questions
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Is having the newer larger pict 34-3 a good bad or neutral thing. I'm not opposed to buying a new carb or would keeping the bigger carb be better

What the heck is this vacuum thingy on my carburetor? I don't see it on any replacement carbs for sale and I don't see it as a part on jbugs etc. What the heck is this. The rubber is dry and cracked would like to replace it if I decide to keep the carb.

It a bocar made in Mexico? Can you still buy German ones or is empi going to be as good as it gets?
Aldous92107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

Also what the heck is this thing in the upper left hand corner of the engine compartment.

Thanks!

Brian
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

That solenoid on the drivers side of the car is an idle fuel cut out valve. Should be powered from the 15 side of your coil. With key on, remove wire, should "click". If not, make sure wire is connected to 15 side of your coil.

Item on side wall is a deceleration valve. Ignore that, but retain it for smog legalities.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Aldous92107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

Thanks Jimbp,

The doo-hickey on the driver side of the carb is wired to the positive side of the coil if that was broken would that explain my lack of idle?

Brian
Ricksurfin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

Bad idle cutoff solenoid, or clogged idle jet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

Yes it would. That solenoid, when energized, holds the idle circuit fuel open, allowing fuel to flow. If there is no power, there will be no fuel.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

Ricksurfin wrote:
Bad idle cutoff solenoid, or clogged idle jet.

Or both, or a large vacuum leak, or low compression, or poor spark quality, or improper timing, tight valves , clogged filter, poor quality fuel, gas saturated oil, etc....

Lets start with what it almost always is, if it is a stock vw. Over the 30+ years of working on vw's, 15 of that as an ase tech, 75% of the time it was a broken wire at the solenoid or coil. Easiest thing first. One step at a time.

Had, maybe 5 clogged idle jets in 15 years out of 1000s of acvws. Idle shut off wire breaking at the solenoid side, 1000s. At the coil 1000s.

TDCTDI wrote:

67rustavenger wrote:
Aldous92107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

Thanks again Jimbo! I'll check out the condition of the wires and make sure they are making good contact. Is that vacuum thing bolted on the front necessary? I still don't see that thing on any other pictures online
Aldous92107
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

What's your opinion on keeping the 34PICT-3 Carburetor on the adapter plate or switching back to the stock 30Pict-1 Carburetor?
Tim Donahoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

That thing on the back of your carburetor (not the front, since all things toward the front of the car are defined as front) is a device that keeps your throttle from slamming shut when you suddenly let off the gas pedal. It’s a smog device—Mexican style.

The thing on the left side of your firewall is an altitude correction device. Before the Mexican-style “thing” on the back of your carb was invented, VW had an older, larger version that had a hose going to the thing on your left firewall. Once the new style carb incorporated the thing on the back of your carb, the thing on the left side of your firewall was no longer required.

Tim

Richard O'Brien
maggiolo72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: 1970 Beetle idle problems Reply with quote

Hi, it's a 1200 or 1600 SP?
Throw away the 34, found a good 30 pict2 or 30 pict3 with an original filter and a vacuum only distributor....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: