Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
Samba Book Club
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
OB Bus
Samba Member


Joined: February 09, 2003
Posts: 1940
Location: Ocean Beach in Beautiful BLUE California
OB Bus is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Coach Wooden and Me - Our 50 year friendship on and off the court by Kareem Abdul-Jabbar. A really good rememberence book. The relationship between a 5'10" white guy from Illinois and a 7'2" black man from New York. Very touching. Not really deep but a pleasant read.
_________________
Larry in OB
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
In his 601 days in office, Pumpkinhead has made over 5000 false or misleading statements. Wa Post
69 Westfalia and 67 Single Cab.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 13, 2004
Posts: 7667
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
Zundfolge1432 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2018 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

White Trash- the 400 year untold history of class in America by Nancy Isenberg, New York Times bestseller. Yes it’s a history book might put some to sleep but I like history........ answers the question “whatever happened to Billy Redden” ?
_________________
What we think we become- Buddha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member


Joined: December 05, 2000
Posts: 3346
Location: OB. It's beside the point.
Fish is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

I finally finished "Pillars of the Earth" by Ken Follett book on cd. I'm not driving as much as I used to. I've already read book two (World without End) in the series so now it is on to "Column of Fire" to finish off this Ken Follett trilogy. This trilogy is a multigenerational story of people living in the fictional town of Kingsbridge, England starting around 1140ac.
_________________
Prosit!

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303
#156

WTB Wolff Motors License Plates Frames. Like these. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1234578.jpg

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 13, 2004
Posts: 7667
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
Zundfolge1432 is offline 

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

“Waiting for an Army to Die” the tragedy of Agent Orange by Fred A Wilcox

Documented history of what the U. S. Govt did to ignore a situation they created. A friend of mine died from this and nobody believed what he was saying. WTF it’s all but forgotten now. J. Stewart R.I.P. my friend.
_________________
What we think we become- Buddha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 13, 2004
Posts: 7667
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
Zundfolge1432 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Into the wild by Jon Krakauer, true story in April 1992 a young man from a well to do family hitchhikes to Alaska and walks alone into the wilderness north of Mt. McKinley. His name Cris McCandless. He had given 25,000 in savings to charity, abandoned his car and most of his possessions, burned all the money in his wallet and invented a new life for himself. Four months later he was found dead.
_________________
What we think we become- Buddha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: November 02, 2004
Posts: 15826
Location: Sandpoint, ID
cdennisg is offline 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Not sure if any of you folks saw this, but it sent my wife and daughter into a tizzy last night. I am a reader, but not like my English-teacher-turned-school-principal-bookworm wife and nose-to-the-grindstone-bookworm-almost-13-year-old-daughter.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/

An interesting list, a fun ballot, and a great watch.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/
_________________
A podium level performance in the Waste of Time Olympics.

-Cold War Motors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk


Joined: December 16, 2003
Posts: 6974
Location: Behind the Zion Curtain
notchback is offline 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
Not sure if any of you folks saw this, but it sent my wife and daughter into a tizzy last night. I am a reader, but not like my English-teacher-turned-school-principal-bookworm wife and nose-to-the-grindstone-bookworm-almost-13-year-old-daughter.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/

An interesting list, a fun ballot, and a great watch.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/


I scored 27.
_________________
zeen wrote:
Arguing with johnnypan is like mud-wrestling a pig. After a while you realize he just enjoys playing in the mud, winning the contest is not the point.



FU#3
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cdennisg Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: November 02, 2004
Posts: 15826
Location: Sandpoint, ID
cdennisg is offline 

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

notchback wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
Not sure if any of you folks saw this, but it sent my wife and daughter into a tizzy last night. I am a reader, but not like my English-teacher-turned-school-principal-bookworm wife and nose-to-the-grindstone-bookworm-almost-13-year-old-daughter.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/books/#/

An interesting list, a fun ballot, and a great watch.

http://www.pbs.org/the-great-american-read/home/


I scored 27.


I hit less than 10. But the interest is higher.
_________________
A podium level performance in the Waste of Time Olympics.

-Cold War Motors
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Samba Bohemien


Joined: July 01, 2005
Posts: 1641
Location: La Loteria
Spezialist is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The Devil’s Financial Dictionary by Jason Zweig.

Proved my theory that we just gamble on Wall Street, some just pay more to do it. Reads like a book, indexes like a dictionary. Hilarious
_________________
Occams razor isn’t used to examine complex systems, so the point is moot.

I’ hak itamuy it ~t máqàaqa pam itamuy himu’yta

Rants Pariah of Yore

C/S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 8925
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
The Devil’s Financial Dictionary by Jason Zweig.

Proved my theory that we just gamble on Wall Street, some just pay more to do it. Reads like a book, indexes like a dictionary. Hilarious


Whenever I get a call from another 24 year old financial planner I tell them they can keep anything they make over the SP500, but they pay me for performing under.

No takers.
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Spezialist
Samba Bohemien


Joined: July 01, 2005
Posts: 1641
Location: La Loteria
Spezialist is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
The Devil’s Financial Dictionary by Jason Zweig.

Proved my theory that we just gamble on Wall Street, some just pay more to do it. Reads like a book, indexes like a dictionary. Hilarious


Whenever I get a call from another 24 year old financial planner I tell them they can keep anything they make over the SP500, but they pay me for performing under.

No takers.


So you’ve read the book! Laughing
_________________
Occams razor isn’t used to examine complex systems, so the point is moot.

I’ hak itamuy it ~t máqàaqa pam itamuy himu’yta

Rants Pariah of Yore

C/S
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: October 05, 2014
Posts: 8925
Location: NYC/Upstate/ROW
Abscate is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Spezialist wrote:
Abscate wrote:
Spezialist wrote:
The Devil’s Financial Dictionary by Jason Zweig.

Proved my theory that we just gamble on Wall Street, some just pay more to do it. Reads like a book, indexes like a dictionary. Hilarious


Whenever I get a call from another 24 year old financial planner I tell them they can keep anything they make over the SP500, but they pay me for performing under.

No takers.


So you’ve read the book! Laughing


I haven’t but sounds like I should if I want to get a shot of re-affirmation

Very Happy

Warren Buffet and his challenge were my inspiration
_________________
.ssS!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member


Joined: July 29, 2013
Posts: 822
Location: MD
*Darren is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Steven King "On Writing". Interesting enough that Ill finish it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member


Joined: November 07, 2008
Posts: 1893
Location: N.E. Oklahoma
ZENVWDRIVER is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

... a life changing Zen Buddhist read - Emptiness Dancing... emptiness is defined as, letting go of life's fixed ideas.
_________________
1/54 black, 11C sedan
2/55 Reed Green, on a '65 pan
3/1955 stratos silver, 113 sedan
10/59 113 Ceramic Green, sedan
1960 Single Cab
1962 SO-33 with SO-42 interior
9/63 Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
German sausage are the wurst.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
calebmelvin Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: July 19, 2006
Posts: 2734
Location: Seattle
calebmelvin is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Peace Is Every Breath: A Practice for Our Busy Lives

P.S. I am so happy to come back after close to a decade and see you all still reading! Laughing
_________________
Caleb
'66 Manx Build | Old VW Builds: '69 '71 '71
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 13, 2004
Posts: 7667
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
Zundfolge1432 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

“The stranger in the Woods” The extraordinary story of the last true hermit by Michael Finkel

In 1986 Christopher Knight drives into the rural Maine woods disappeared and remained alone for the next 27 years. A meditation on solitude,wilderness,and survival— The Wall Street Journal.
_________________
What we think we become- Buddha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien


Joined: February 18, 2005
Posts: 688
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
67_13Deluxe is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

The Alien Abduction Files; the most startling cases of human-alien contact ever reported by Kathleen Marden and Denise Stoner.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zundfolge1432 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: June 13, 2004
Posts: 7667
Location: Stuck in the middle with you
Zundfolge1432 is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

67_13Deluxe wrote:
The Alien Abduction Files; the most startling cases of human-alien contact ever reported by Kathleen Marden and Denise Stoner.


My brother told me he had seen a ufo during the mid 1970s while sitting behind his house smoking a doobie. I never believed his story, still don’t.
_________________
What we think we become- Buddha
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
far rider Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: August 30, 2005
Posts: 619
Location: Rutland, VT
far rider is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Going Up the Country by Yvonne Daley. How the hippies, dreamers, freaks and radicals moved to Vermont in the 60s and changed the state from staunch conservative to crazy liberal.
_________________
67 zenith blue sunroof
65 single cab
63 beryl green convertible
Contentment; when what you have is what you want.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67_13Deluxe
Samba Resident Alien


Joined: February 18, 2005
Posts: 688
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
67_13Deluxe is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Samba Book Club Reply with quote

Zundfolge1432 wrote:
67_13Deluxe wrote:
The Alien Abduction Files; the most startling cases of human-alien contact ever reported by Kathleen Marden and Denise Stoner.


My brother told me he had seen a ufo during the mid 1970s while sitting behind his house smoking a doobie. I never believed his story, still don’t.


Was it the doobie that makes you not believe his story? Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 18, 19, 20  Next
Jump to:
Page 19 of 20

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB