Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts  See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com
 
New member, long time owner of 66 beetle
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Print View
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
dodgerodder
Samba Member


Joined: April 25, 2010
Posts: 138

dodgerodder is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Super cool that you kept the car over time.

Even better that it’s your 1st car, try to hang onto that!

I am a 66’ fan as well, building one now.

Good luck with it, I’ll be watching your progress!

Dan
_________________
My 66’ build thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699235
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Thanks man!

Yeah, I was SUPER into VW's in the early to late 90's. I've had one of everything except a Thing or Ghia.
I've forgotten a TON of stuff in the last 20 years, though.

Looking for a bolt for my pitman arm at the moment. Can't seem to find mine.

Glad I kept the car a "resto custom" when I was originally building it. Its still my favorite look.

I'd never get rid of this car. I've had it through thick and thin. The last time I ever drove it my little brother was with me and still alive. He's been gone for several years now. I don't get sentimental about machines. Except this one.

I've lurked and browsed the forum on and off over the years. Glad to see so many folks still enjoying these old cars.


Still can't find a set of wheels I love and not sure what will really fit till its all put together and all that. Read through that HUGE wheel/tire thread but still can't really decide what would best suit my needs. I'd like a set of 4.5" sprintstars of brm's for the front and 5.5" or even 6.5" for the rear if they'll fit.
I don't want super skinny tires in the front, so trying to avoid 135's. I'll be running 2"-3" of drop in front on a stock width adjustable beam I bought from Kymco back in 97' and its just sat till now. Stock brakes etc. Will probably spring for some adjustable spring plates for just a wee bit of drop in the rear. Hoping to fit 205/65's back there, or maybe something a wee bit smaller. IDK.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
dodgerodder
Samba Member


Joined: April 25, 2010
Posts: 138

dodgerodder is offline 

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I totally understand, boy I am so sorry that you lost your brother, wow I can’t imagine

Glad to see you’re back on it! Yeah, the wheel choice is a really tough one


Yeah, the tire & wheel thread is super long! I would think you could fit those tires on the rear
_________________
My 66’ build thread:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=699235
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glee7007
Samba Member


Joined: March 11, 2007
Posts: 13
Location: Machias, ME
Glee7007 is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I have a '66, too. Same two toned color scheme. Good luck getting her fixed up!
_________________
Glee7007
'66 Beetle - as stock as possible.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
compdrag
Samba Member


Joined: May 06, 2013
Posts: 316
Location: Silverdale
compdrag is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I know the sentimental thing you got. My 61 is truly the only car my grandfather and I have ever worked on together, and got running. I will never be able to sell her because of that. I know he is still with me just one of the best memories I shared with him.

Can't wait to see you get this thing back on the road.
_________________
61 Type 1 Patina
61 Type 1 Convertible
68 Type 2 Rivi
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I'm being held up waiting on a pitman arm bolt.

What are the chances my local Ace Hardware has something that will work?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

compdrag wrote:
I know the sentimental thing you got. My 61 is truly the only car my grandfather and I have ever worked on together, and got running. I will never be able to sell her because of that. I know he is still with me just one of the best memories I shared with him.

Can't wait to see you get this thing back on the road.


Thanks man, me too.

This car hasn't even been vacuumed or washed since 1997 or so. Still has me and my brother's trash in the ashtray.

Its amazing how many of us have these cars we're emotionally connected to.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: April 06, 2006
Posts: 25277
Location: Conejo Valley, CA
KTPhil is offline 

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EastCoastCB wrote:
I'm being held up waiting on a pitman arm bolt.

What are the chances my local Ace Hardware has something that will work?


I don't know, but pay attention to the strength rating of the bolt you use. That's a safety-critical, single-point failure item.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

KTPhil wrote:
EastCoastCB wrote:
I'm being held up waiting on a pitman arm bolt.

What are the chances my local Ace Hardware has something that will work?


I don't know, but pay attention to the strength rating of the bolt you use. That's a safety-critical, single-point failure item.


Absolutely!

I'm probably going to order one. I'll just buy enough extra stuff that I won't have to pay shipping for one single bolt.

I think I've settled on wheels. The 911 knock offs with the wide 5 pattern are available in the width and offset that I think I'm after. 4.5's in front with 5.5's in the rear.

I PROMISE to get pics up, and this time I'll save them here. Its tough because my folks live about 25 miles from me and I mow lawns all summer.

And while I have this project going on, I'm in the process of swapping engines in a school bus I own.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Pitman arm bolt finally on its way.
Progress is slow, but at least I'm getting somewhere!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Got a set of the wide 5 porsche fuchs knock offs. 4.5" front with 145's and 5.5 rear with 195/65's.
They'll be here in a week or so! Very Happy
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

No updates yet. The wheels/tires are taking a little longer than I hoped but should be here Thursday!

And I bought another bus... A school bus of course. 1999 Freightliner/Thomas with a high hp Cat. My love of VW buses is what got me into fixing up school buses.

Will report back with pics when the wheels and stuff come in.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

The wheels/tires came in. Man what a hassle!
The idiots at CIP1 screwed it all up. I ordered 145's and 4.5" wheels for the front and 195/65's and 5.5" wheels for the rear.
I got two 5.5" wheels with 145's mounted, one 195 on a 4.5", and one 195 on a 5.5". Evil or Very Mad

They're not even going to "fix" this. They're sending me a bare 4.5" wheel. What a bunch of idiots over there!

Now I get to take a day off to go have the tires remounted.
Where do you folks in central FL go for balancing with wide 5's?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
klroger
Samba Member


Joined: September 22, 2017
Posts: 43
Location: deep river
klroger is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

If you have nice new wheels & don't want weights on them, throw ~3 oz of balancing beads in each tire. You can get them @ your local tire store or your FLAPS. Never need to look for someone with an adapter again!!!
_________________
I Didn't know what to do, So I Didn't do anything!!!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: August 27, 2015
Posts: 3689
Location: Central Florida
Sharp64 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EastCoastCB wrote:
The wheels/tires came in. Man what a hassle!
The idiots at CIP1 screwed it all up. I ordered 145's and 4.5" wheels for the front and 195/65's and 5.5" wheels for the rear.
I got two 5.5" wheels with 145's mounted, one 195 on a 4.5", and one 195 on a 5.5". Evil or Very Mad

They're not even going to "fix" this. They're sending me a bare 4.5" wheel. What a bunch of idiots over there!

Now I get to take a day off to go have the tires remounted.
Where do you folks in central FL go for balancing with wide 5's?

Where in CF? I’m in the WinterPark/Winter Springs area and have used the Firestone on a RedBug several times. I have the wide 5 adapter plate. Ask them to put the stick on weights on the inside of the wheel instead of the rim edge ones.
_________________
1964 Type1 Sedan (Harvey)
2013 JSW
2014 New Beetle (Wife's)
Manx Clone (Bert)
1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop (Blue Barry)

“The sky is falling the sky is falling” - Chicken Little
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Sharp64 wrote:
EastCoastCB wrote:
The wheels/tires came in. Man what a hassle!
The idiots at CIP1 screwed it all up. I ordered 145's and 4.5" wheels for the front and 195/65's and 5.5" wheels for the rear.
I got two 5.5" wheels with 145's mounted, one 195 on a 4.5", and one 195 on a 5.5". Evil or Very Mad

They're not even going to "fix" this. They're sending me a bare 4.5" wheel. What a bunch of idiots over there!

Now I get to take a day off to go have the tires remounted.
Where do you folks in central FL go for balancing with wide 5's?

Where in CF? I’m in the WinterPark/Winter Springs area and have used the Firestone on a RedBug several times. I have the wide 5 adapter plate. Ask them to put the stick on weights on the inside of the wheel instead of the rim edge ones.


I'm in Eustis. The local tire shops are horrendous.
There's an ACVW place in Tampa said they'd swap my tires around for $90.
Tampa is a heck of a drive but there's a MMJ dispensary over there I've been wanting to check out.
CIP1 REALLY SUCKS! They asked for MULTIPLE pictures and I even ended up having to make a video to show them their mistake. Only one 4.5" wheel and its on the rear?? DERP! Their "kind" offer of sending me the 4.5" wheel I'm missing was a total laugh but at least I'm getting it. From the tone of the emails I was starting to think I was SOL.
The wheels currently have the stick on weights inside the wheel, and yeah I'm looking to get them balanced that way this time around too.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: August 27, 2015
Posts: 3689
Location: Central Florida
Sharp64 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EastCoastCB wrote:
Sharp64 wrote:
EastCoastCB wrote:
The wheels/tires came in. Man what a hassle!
The idiots at CIP1 screwed it all up. I ordered 145's and 4.5" wheels for the front and 195/65's and 5.5" wheels for the rear.
I got two 5.5" wheels with 145's mounted, one 195 on a 4.5", and one 195 on a 5.5". Evil or Very Mad

They're not even going to "fix" this. They're sending me a bare 4.5" wheel. What a bunch of idiots over there!

Now I get to take a day off to go have the tires remounted.
Where do you folks in central FL go for balancing with wide 5's?

Where in CF? I’m in the WinterPark/Winter Springs area and have used the Firestone on a RedBug several times. I have the wide 5 adapter plate. Ask them to put the stick on weights on the inside of the wheel instead of the rim edge ones.


I'm in Eustis. The local tire shops are horrendous.
There's an ACVW place in Tampa said they'd swap my tires around for $90.
Tampa is a heck of a drive but there's a MMJ dispensary over there I've been wanting to check out.
CIP1 REALLY SUCKS! They asked for MULTIPLE pictures and I even ended up having to make a video to show them their mistake. Only one 4.5" wheel and its on the rear?? DERP! Their "kind" offer of sending me the 4.5" wheel I'm missing was a total laugh but at least I'm getting it. From the tone of the emails I was starting to think I was SOL.
The wheels currently have the stick on weights inside the wheel, and yeah I'm looking to get them balanced that way this time around too.


Ah, you're a bit aways from here, but I would think any Firestone would do it. I've built a relationship with the local one. I'm the "VW Guy" and they know what I'm in for when I hit the front door.
_________________
1964 Type1 Sedan (Harvey)
2013 JSW
2014 New Beetle (Wife's)
Manx Clone (Bert)
1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop (Blue Barry)

“The sky is falling the sky is falling” - Chicken Little
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

Do you have to bring your adapter plate or do they have one?

I was hoping to have this car ready to drive for the Bug Jam this year but I'm starting to realize it may be next year.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member


Joined: August 27, 2015
Posts: 3689
Location: Central Florida
Sharp64 is offline 

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

EastCoastCB wrote:
Do you have to bring your adapter plate or do they have one?

I was hoping to have this car ready to drive for the Bug Jam this year but I'm starting to realize it may be next year.


I bought one and take it with me. If you were in my neck of the woods Id be willing to meet you and loan it to the shop. If you don’t want to invest in one maybe look into the dynabeads or whatever they’re called.
_________________
1964 Type1 Sedan (Harvey)
2013 JSW
2014 New Beetle (Wife's)
Manx Clone (Bert)
1960 Indigo Blue Ragtop (Blue Barry)

“The sky is falling the sky is falling” - Chicken Little
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EastCoastCB
Samba Member


Joined: April 22, 2015
Posts: 31
Location: United States
EastCoastCB is offline 

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: New member, long time owner of 66 beetle Reply with quote

I'll buy one.

Got a guy in Tampa that's going to mount em next weekend.
Next up is a new gas tank and all associated parts and the shift linkage has to be sorted out.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Classifieds Feedback
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

About | Help! | Advertise | Donate | Premium Membership | Privacy/Terms of Use | Contact Us | Site Map
Copyright © 1996-2018, Everett Barnes. All Rights Reserved.
Not affiliated with or sponsored by Volkswagen of America | Forum powered by phpBB