Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Air cleaner dust leaks
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

just run IDAs, air filters wont fit so you don't have to worry about them Laughing
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:53 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

Hey Oprn. you must be up in the Hardwoods like me( maple syrup Laughing )
good Idea with the diaper but I doubt it 'Flows good? Laughing
on the dusty backroads up here we go with a foam Uni over the k&N 's both with oil ( trans fluid works in a pinch and 409 as the cleaner) Wink
works great, you can pull off the foam and still have a clean gauze filter , clean foam one re-install I do this a cpl time before I need to do the K&N's Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:28 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

No madmike, unfortunately I am not but Box Alders are related and do work although it takes more trees to do the job and the flavor leans a wee bit toward molasses and the color is darker but it is still quite good.

Not really expecting a flow problem but my wide band will tell me pretty quick if there is one.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

Wink Cool
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

R2C filters are available. I just ordered a pair from them, call them directly.

OR10600B is the part # for the 3.35" high

OR10604B is the part # for the 6.00" high

"B" indicates "Black Hex" street

Olli
swelchy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

FYI you can make your own filter oil for pennies on the dollar...
Buy a bottle of “mineral oil from a local drug store,grocery or walmart etc. and a pint/quart of denatured alcohol from a local hardware/paint store.... mix 2:1 2 parts oil to 1 part denatured and drop a few drops of your preffered food coloring into the mix.... add to a spray bottle and viola... tell store bought to kiss your hiney.... have a beer on me I just save tiu some dough.. k&n fikter oil is literally those ingredients....
1969 Westy 1915cc 044 heads 94 bore 69 stroke scatCWcrank scat lifters C25 cam straight cam gears 1:25 ratio rockers CB weber idf 40's vintage speed sport exhaust.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

Olli from NJ wrote:

Olli

I hope for the best, but expect the worst.
Please let me know when they arrive, or if they don't.
I'd like ot order several sets, but I don't want to get burned, nor does anybody.
Olli from NJ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Olli from NJ wrote:

Olli

I hope for the best, but expect the worst.
Please let me know when they arrive, or if they don't.
I'd like ot order several sets, but I don't want to get burned, nor does anybody.

I will post when they arrive. I've ordered from R2C directly before and never had an issue.

Olli
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

Mineral oil! I just happen to have 3/4 of a gallon of castor oil that I use for mixing model airplane fuel. That mixes nicely with methonal and is pretty sticky stuff.

Worth a try, thanks!
air-h2o-air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

this what I use over my guaze filters...never a problem

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2146555
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

If the filter needs a filter, well - why not go with a good filter instead?
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

why don't you tell us where to get one, smart alec Razz
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:32 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

First photo is a little off topic but Oprn won't complain , It's also a model of a Canadian aircraft .
the other pics are the first attempt at a central panel filter . After making it I found an air filter/HP calculator . A that panel is a bit small only good for 140hp and chokes the engine over 1/2 throttle . mark 2 being made at the moment with twice the size filter .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

Nice bird!!! Very Happy

That is an interesting solution to an air cleaner! I assume that you fabbed that on up yourself? That would get the air filters out of harm's way on a buggy for sure!

I am pretty confident that all that dirt was picked up on the 1/2 mile of gravel road between our place and the highway and the air filters are right next to the rear tires. Bad design! Not much of a problem in the cars but these open wheel Buggies are another story altogether.
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

Sadly the vampire had to go ,to pay for other toys Confused
The hats over the carbs I made a mold for and the centre section was just made from sheet and block balsa carved to shape and skinned in fibreglass , I then just hollowed out the balsa .

I'm mainly going to the trouble on the Ghia to reduce the induction noise (daily driver) , but also want to make one for the Baja bus because of the amount of dust pulled into the engine bay , I want to eventually make an airbox an get the intake from up the top of the vent area and clean air .
A former job was as a mechanic on gas pipeline construction mostly in very remote areas with few sealed roads . most of the vehicles had snorkels fitted to get the air intake up into clean air . the difference in how long the air filters lasted between the vehicles with snorkels and those with the stock air intake is huge .
Wreck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-128-082R

would you have room to use these with a remote central air filter ?
Boolean
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

modok wrote:
Just about any paper element is way better at filtration. But you know that too.
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

Quote:
the other pics are the first attempt at a central panel filter . After making it I found an air filter/HP calculator . A that panel is a bit small only good for 140hp and chokes the engine over 1/2 throttle . mark 2 being made at the moment with twice the size filter .

interesting Wreck , I did the same for my 1904cc in my squareback. It is fed from the stock side vents and a scoop under the car. My K&N filter element was from a buick V6 application and works well. what I do find is almost no dirt or dust around the carbs anymore compared to the individual filters on the carbs.

I used carved pink styrofoam wrapped with the fiberglass for my forms, they melt out with acetone, easy breezy.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

Boolean wrote:
modok wrote:
Just about any paper element is way better at filtration. But you know that too.

yeah, you may be right.
It is on my list to obtain the...not sure the name.... "air box pipes"? that originally went on these carburetors. I am sure they could be bought for very little money and probably would fit in a bug or a buggy, and that would allow the use of a central filter easily..........but, the R2c filters worked so well........I put it on the back burner.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Air cleaner dust leaks Reply with quote

Wreck wrote:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26-128-082R

would you have room to use these with a remote central air filter ?
Nope! As you can see from the picture the lid on the present ones are almost touching front and back now.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: