Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

The biggest problem with driving in the rain is the side spray from other vehicles.
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
bugvert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Nice job on the buggy! Looks great Smile
Sharp64 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

I’ve driven on Michigan roads. My guess is the front bumper will last less than 5 miles mounted like that.....😂
“...some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.” - Michael Caine
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Hey guys, thx for the comments. Yes the mi. Roads are bad...the bumper waves loose in this pic for some front end adjusting...I have a bout 8 inches of clearance. I mi your whole buggy might fall in the pot holes....lol
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Well I have started driving my buggy while I finish up the last of the list to do for the summer. One serious problem I had was because of my combo of front spring rate reduction/drop spindles, my buggy when going over large bumps would bottom out and the front tires would hit the fenders. Initially I thought I would have to put a spacer and raise the whole body up. I really did not want to do this because i really like the stance. I then thought I would have to put some shims back in to firm up the front end so it cannot hit. I did not want to change my new improved softer front end ride. I thought about it a bit and figured I just needed to limit the travel possible to get what I wanted. I was thinking straps then maybe rubber bumpers.....I tried a 2 1/8 muffler clamp on the small part of the shock so the top...larger shroud could only travel about 2 inches which would not let the tire bottom on the fender. I took it for a ride and it worked for a bit until I hit a few large potholes. The clamp slid down the shock. I went back and purchased a couple clamps and got rid of the u bolts . I used bolts to bolt them together to try this. This worked pretty well
Sorry no pics of my lousy engineering....lol. it worked but I did not like it at all. I then was brousing for some shocks with stops. I finally decided my stock shocks would work without the shroud. I decided to try some modifications and see what happened. Out came the die grinder....I cut off the shroud and inside was a large rubber stop. I put the modified shock on the car...I wanted only a 1 1/2" of travel so it could not bottom out any more. I figured the rubber stop could compress about 3/8" so I used a couple sleeve items for another inch to get the correct stop distance. I put them both together and took it for a ride....it seemed to work fine. I have been driving it like this for a week..it gives me a nice ride the stance I like but the fenders cannot hit the tires....success is good!!!!...its nice to be driving it again!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2018 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
The biggest problem with driving in the rain is the side spray from other vehicles.

I haven't experienced that yet as most of the roads here are one lane each way, could be an issue running beside someone or more likely to the side and just back a bit. I can tell you though that meeting a tractor trailer gets the water on the wrong side of the windshield momentarily!
57BLITZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

chriswitvw wrote:

Out came the die grinder....I cut off the shroud and inside was a large rubber stop. I put the modified shock on the car...I wanted only a 1 1/2" of travel so it could not bottom out any more. I figured the rubber stop could compress about 3/8" so I used a couple sleeve items for another inch to get the correct stop distance. I put them both together and took it for a ride....it seemed to work fine. I have been driving it like this for a week..it gives me a nice ride the stance I like but the fenders cannot hit the tires....success is good!!!!...its nice to be driving it again!!!!

Please tell me . . .
What shocks are they?
Is this set-up still working for ya?
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Hello All, I decided just for the heck of it to look for my post....I knew I never finished it, kind of did not feel right to leave it incomplete!! I could not even remember it was Samba... took me a bit of searching to find the site and then my specific story....but I am back to finish the tale......I posted some latest pics to show its current state..The title was labeled because while I had the will and I thought the determination to start and finish my project....I had read many stories that had not had the same completion that I had hoped for. Plus while I was quite handy and all I am not really a super dedicated car guy... so I was hoping for" another buggy tale with a good ending....well hopefully"...lol. It has been (3) years since my completion and my last post....I can say that I have truly enjoyed my work...I have yet to rebuild the motor....but while it uses much oil it still runs fine....The three years has given me much much joy with my buggy. It has really given me zero problems. The suspension modifications has really made a big differeence in the ride, and while it generally is not like a new car I still love to take it out on short to medium trips. It still gets more attention than any other car I have owned and I take it out every year to our local Woodward Cruise. While I look on the "Assemby trip" fondly with the ups and downs of all the enginnering obstacles that go with building your own car, Its kind of different now...like an old dependable friend that I just get to enjoy! I can at this time say my story truly did have a good ending, I still enjoy my buggy every summer. One day I still plan to rebuild the old oil sucking 1600 but It still gives me plenty of enjoyment just the way it is!!...... Good luck, and inspiration to All....
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

Thanks for the follow up! Love the look of that Buggy! The black stripe and wing is a great touch! So glad you still have it and are enjoying it. I am thinking just now that your son must be driving it now a bit, legally or otherwise! Wink

I gave in and pulled my smoking old 1600 DP in favor of a type 4 engine. Not too keen on the looks of it with the stock Bus cooling system but absolutely LOVE the transformation on the road! Keeping up with the traffic on long runs now is a breeze. Could have done it by enlarging the type 1 engine but not as cheaply as this engine was.

I am very interested in your adventures with heated seats. We do 10 to 12 hour trips through the mountains and the weather varies a lot so my next up mod is heated seats. Just wondering if you would share your wisdom on the subject with us.

Thanks Merv.
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

hello oprn, I have promised my son the buggy when I get too old to enjoy it....lol. I have taken him out in the country and let him practice on my new mustang manual....The buggy not quite as crisp will come maybe this next summer. The look of my buggy was so much fun to plan once the hard bodywork and mechanical was complete....The right stripe...wing... fuel door ...seats ...gauges...ect....Great memories!!
The heated seats was a fantastic option to allow me to expand the buggy driving season. I purchased some heated seat kits from amazon. I quite easily took my new ebay seats apart and installed the heaters in the seat and back. This coupled with a harbour freight 12v hand held heater that I mounted to use as a defroster / hand warmer and some self stick foam to help seal the top to the window really helped me to enjoy my buggy at times when I normally would not be able to.....and not kill my alternator with the load either....The simplicity, and knowing I entirely made my car....lots of satisfaction and pride when I talk to viewers....and I really love taking it out!!.....thx
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

That is a damn fine buggy! Cool

You have created a nice looking street machine. Just from the pictures I can see clean construction and some fine details that set it apart. If we both end up at the same car show I'm gonna have to look that thing up, down, and sideways for an hour.
chriswitvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: another buggy tale..with a good ending..well hopefully Reply with quote

EVfun...thx ....I really tried to create a well built fun buggy without completely breaking the bank. It really was one of my most notable experiences....all the engineering that goes into each phase of construction......I kind of miss the project phase....But I really enjoy to just grab the keys and go....and in the time i have had it complete, I have faith it will get me home.....I still get excited to take it out for a drive!!!...take care...
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6

Jump to: