Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Repair front frame on 56 SC
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vancity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:07 pm    Post subject: Repair front frame on 56 SC Reply with quote

My first time doing a solo restoration on an old pick-up and looking for some advice on this front frame section.
This truck is going to need a lot of panel replacement as it was a field find 13years ago and spent many winters in the snow.
This part causes me the most concern

I don’t have access to a hoist or a rotisserie right now but do have an oil change pit in the garage floor so at least I can crouch underneath

2 concerns before it start
1. Bracing the chassis if I decide to cut out this section of frame entirely? How to go about doing that? Probably best to jack up the front end using the frame rails behind the front end or in front?
2. Should I weld a plate to that captive nut before trying to remove the front end? It looks like if I take an impact to it it’s going to rip out from the frame, just a guess

Can’t find any threads documenting front frame repair like this so feel free to post a link if it’s been documented before.

Thanks in advance!

Photo taken underneath from the centre of the truck looking up and out to the passenger side
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Looking towards back at the rotted outrigger
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair front frame on 56 SC Reply with quote

Check out this thread.

www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672869&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Vancity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair front frame on 56 SC Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Check out this thread.

www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=672869&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=80

Whoa that’s intense! Thanks, definitely some helpful photos in there. I’m not going quite that far with disassembly....hopefully...yet. Would love to patch it up with the front end as complete as possible for now until I can get it rotisserie ready. I see from those photos that the threaded portion is a shaft that goes right through the frame and looks to be some kind of 4 post welded in assembly, I’d love to know if that is available as a separate part? or what they’re called. My rear lower bolt in the 1st pic is definitely not going to play nice and will likely have to be cut Sad

Thankfully I have a spare frame and bed from a 1960 SC sitting here. Started today by making an inner template for the frame enclosure including the 4 holes around the axle.
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: Repair front frame on 56 SC Reply with quote

I think you’re talking about where the front beam bolts to the frame in four places, on each side?
Might have to source s used one... they come up for sale.

Get acquainted with this place:
https://www.klassicfab.com/chasis/
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Repair front frame on 56 SC Reply with quote

Vancity wrote:
... My rear lower bolt in the 1st pic is definitely not going to play nice and will likely have to be cut Sad ...

You may be surprised. I have had very good luck removing old bolts from these things.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
62DoKaGuy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Repair front frame on 56 SC Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
I think you’re talking about where the front beam bolts to the frame in four places, on each side?

Here are some; the first in searching "beam bolts" in the Bus parts section: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2183412 I'm sure there are other queries that would produce others in better or worse condition for the price.

4/62 Double Cab
5/61 Panel (sold)
4/59 Single Cab (sold)
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Repair front frame on 56 SC Reply with quote

You can also learn a lot & have successful Google searches using part numbers.
Click on the bold red text in my signature line.
Vancity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Repair front frame on 56 SC Reply with quote

easy e wrote:

Yes that’s the part. Thanks Easy, getting to know that site pretty well so far.
I have a used frame here to rebuild but don’t feel comfortable cutting a complete section of the frame out of the truck where it sits without some hefty bracing to keep the cab in place. Your parts list will be helpful too thanks!

sgellis wrote:
You may be surprised. I have had very good luck removing old bolts from these things.

Awesome advice! You gave me the confidence today to have a go at removing the bolts, they all come out with ease and didn’t mess up the threaded posts at all! Woohoo!!
The front end can come out now and patch work can begin
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: