Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Update: April 22 2018

Response:

I cleaned the brush holder end plates, armature, spacers, and field assembly. Just because I don't post the " perfect after photo" doesn't mean it wasn't done correctly. At times I don't stop to take "perfect" photos because all of this is a lot of work getting the rust off everything and I forget. I snap photos when I remember and also all the photos I take are NOT posted on this blog. It's just general as I don't want to flood this with photos.

valve clearance is .006?? Not worried at all about the dwell right now (so far away from that) but thanks for the information will re-visit your wisdom when I'm about to drive it. Also I'm in Texas so Heater channels are a luxury at this point not a big deal.

I re-built the carb.. of course I removed the accelerator nozzle and not sure if the pushrod tubes are on "backwards", because I did a search of the specific tubes I purchased and on a thread another person had them on there VW for 6 years that way and they never leaked, but I will change them when I re-install the engine.

Got the engine to start ran it for about 30 minutes/an hour. Replaced the main jet, and it took a long time adjusting the volume control screw for the ignition air flow. Anyways it finally ran, and it turns out I will eventually need to get it re-bushed. I was happy that it started and ran so it's back in storage... and onto the pan.

Built some horses, lifted the body to work on the chassis. Amazingly I took off the OG rubber seal that had small cracks in it, and you can see the original black chassis paint shiny and new. Has surface rust but other than that it is in really great shape. I purchased a battery pan from wolfsburgwest as I have some small holes and bad rust in that area.

I took off the front axle to pressure wash, clean and will eventually get to sanding and painting. (Yes I plugged up the brake lines with super duty metal tape/ tape used on air conditioners). So far took a look at the front drums shoes, took off the plates and very fortunate and lucky to see everything is in almost new condition. Wheel cylinder, springs, brake shoes, everything is great, even the grease was still pink and brand new. The only thing I will remove and clean is the notch adjuster screws. I will sand blast the plates and paint as well.

I'm guessing how it was stored that all the wear/rust will be on the back brakes, but for now I will worry about that bridge once I cross it. First dealing with the front and chassis then back. I will also eventually bleed the brakes to get the air & fluid out.

I will (probably) need to purchase a new mastery cylinder, and since the previous brake reservoir was a shitty plastic one I will be replacing with an OG small metal one. Will post photos soon since they are all on my phone.

I attended the VW 2018 Texas classic and a seller there wanted $189 for a master cylinder and $100 for an OG reservoir with no cap.. I said forget it. Probably purchase them online.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Update: May 2, 2018

Not that it matters as this bug isn't an OG, BUT ...finally got to researching the ID and Chassis# and surprise they match!# 3104013 Seem to get 2 different verification, on the date but I know it's a 60 or 61. Can't believe someone chopped that year up, but what can you do. If this would not have been converted I would've loved to restore to an OG, but what can ya do.

Got around to the font/back axle and transmission. Damn this sanding and wiring wheeling is killing me!!! I will need to replace master cylinder, front and back trans mounts, back shocks, gaskets, and axle boots. Thinking about getting German Non Split Axle Boots.

So far I have sprayed the font axle, brake plates with Rust-Oleum Stops Rust Rusty Metal Primer first to prevent over night rust s it's sitiing outside in the texas weather with currently it being rainy and then sunny. I will eventually get to the back axle. I know it's a bit over kill but I will then primer with Master Series silver and then Satin Black. As for the pans, I will only spray with master series.

I also got the battery pan from WW, which I hope to cut out and weld in by this Saturday. My uncle said I shouldn't cut out the full pan because there is a lip bracket/brace underneath and I should preserve it because it makes the pan stronger. The WW pan doesn't haven't it underneath their pans even thought it's a solid gauge metal.

Anyways things are coming along, and unfortunately I start a job on Monday so things will slow down heavily. I will only be able to work on the weekends now but luckily I don't have to worry about money to get this thing to where it needs to be. Funds will be no concern anymore.

Much respect to everyone out there who does this legit on their own without outsourcing anything. It's A LOT of work, but I have enjoyed it and learning a ton! Still a loooong way to go, but trying to make it count each day.

Also I'm still trying to find someone to dustless blast this thing as that will be the only thing I will outsource. The main priority is to get the pan done and looking fresh.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

When you install the new axle boots, the seams need to be at about 3 or 9 O'clock as when facing inward looking down the axle tube. That allows the rubber to flex and not tear up prematurely.
uglyvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

I like this little pickup. It's different and it looks like whoever did the original work, put some tlc and ingenuity into it. The little finish details are all very cool. I hope you have it up and running soon.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2018 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

uglyvw wrote:
I like this little pickup. It's different and it looks like whoever did the original work, put some tlc and ingenuity into it. The little finish details are all very cool. I hope you have it up and running soon.

Thanks I appreciate the compliment. I'm currently in the middle of getting the chassis back together. Just welded in a new pan last weekend, and getting ready to blast, primer and paint everything with master series including the front and back axles. Will post photos soon likely the end of this month.

I will be making my own modifications to this, including the rims, front bumper, and inside, but not to toot my own horn, this is really one of a kind. I went to the 2018 Texas VW classic in Fredericksburg TX, with over 400 vw's and there wasn't one like it. Only 1 other "bug truck" but it had real 60's chevy fenders and the front was full so it just looked really bad in my opinion.

Since I have a full time gig now, I'm hoping I'll get it all finished and on the road by fall. I can only work on Saturday's now which slows everything down a ton. Before I was working for at least a week straight. I myself am being a bit aggravated by the process but once I see the chassis together then I'll know I'm at least 50% done. The rest will be blasting and painting the outside, then re-doing interior. The only thing that gives me a little nervous is re-wiring the whole car cause it's a mess and my uncle doesn't really do electrical wiring like that. My dad knew that kinds stuff which he why he added a whole bunch of crap.

All I can say is stay tuned... Smile
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

June 4th Update:

It has been a while but things have been going along. I have welded in a new battery pan and seam sealed it. Then I got my pans dustless blasted.

I'm not about writing negative reviews but I'm not pleased with Master Series. First it took me 5 full days to receive my package. After spending $200 thought I would get it in 3 days so i didn't have nay primer on the day I got my pans dustless blasted. I didn't get any photos of the bare metal pan, I forgot because I had to run around my city looking for primer. It took me almost half the day because no one sells paint anymore, plus it was memorial day weekend. Big hassle. But I eventually got a 2K primer that has a sealer/hardener in it.

Not only that, but I opened up the AG111 black paint and hardener and both were 3/4 full? I didn't even get a full can of paint?!!! With the money I spend I thought I'd at least get a full can of paint.

Also, after spraying 2 coats there was no "fill in" whatsoever. Not that my pans are bad, but I do have a small bit of pitting where the edge piece I cut off, but no worries. If I had to do it all over again, I'd just go to Napa and purchase primer and paint there. I also kept the original tar board on the tunnel and sprayed over that. I know it might eat away at it, but I didn't want to take it off and I didn't want to tape it either so I just sprayed over it.

As far as painting, I got a gun from HF for $10. It sprayed alright, and the pan came out OK. I thought it would be a little shinier but hey no one is gonna see it anyways. Not too bad for my first time. It came pretty easy, considering I'm an artist who used to paint, and I've also painted numerous walls and houses/sheds in my days.

Priming was about 80 degrees outside. Black was about 95-100 degrees out. Not wind on either weekend.

I've blasted almost ever single bolt, adjuster, spring, etc that goes in the front and back axle. Also blasted the e-brake and shifter.

I also purchased German non-split rear boots, which I put on. I first heated them in hot water on the stove in a pot and with the help of a vice and some screw drivers got the boots on. I turned them inside out first and then once on, flipped the back.

I still need to purchase transmission fluid 80/90, rear brake lines, and a master cylinder with brake reservoir. I have yet to put everything back together, but I'm taking a weekend off for my birthday this week. Should have the pan rolling by end of this month.

After that on to figuring out the electrical harness because it's wedged in the bed. (see photos).

vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Your work is paying off. Looks great.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
Your work is paying off. Looks great.

Thanks, appreciate the feedback and compliment.
heywebonya
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

A coat of paint really makes you feel like you are getting somewhere. Looks great.
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

heywebonya wrote:
A coat of paint really makes you feel like you are getting somewhere. Looks great.

You aint kidding! I will feel a lot better when AT LEAST the chassis is back together. Now I have an greater understanding as why these start out with good intentions and become 4-5 year projects.

Thanks for the compliment and taking a peek. I always think since I put this in the volksrod forum no one is looking except Eric & Barb ha because mine is a custom build and not a true OG.
vaughn bros.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Having that set of big and little wide 5 Sprint Stars is your icing on the cake. Cool
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

vaughn bros. wrote:
Having that set of big and little wide 5 Sprint Stars is your icing on the cake. Cool

And I want to change the rims too Laughing

I really want to get a set of these but in black

mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

June 16th Update:

Today I didn't get as far as I would've liked. Turned the chassis over on the back and did some due diligence sprayed a coat of SEM Clear Coat Chip Guard to keep it from road debris and cracks in the future. You can see where I replaced the battery pan as the seam seal isn't "perfect" oh well. I let it sit about 1 hour and it dried. Then turned it over and got to putting the front axle back on.

Greased the front axle, joints, bearings, etc and I found out that the driver side bearings need to be replaced. The passenger side is good, but my Uncle said it's better to not take a chance as there is some small black wear spots which probably came from water. So I'm going to replace them. I want to put the front axle on first and then get to the transmission and back axle so that was my stopping point.

I did fill the steering box with Sta-Lube SAEE 85W90 Hypoid Gear oil, which i will also fill the transmission with. I also used sta-lube heavy druty drum brake bearing grease in case anyone is curious. I put the brakes on which have some life still left in them, but I will replace them with new one when I save some more money and probably bleed the brakes.

The plan next weekend is if I get to purchase the driver side-bearings put them on and the front tires with new bump stops that I purchased. Put the tranny back along with the back axle and tires. I will be putting on the old tires with the green rims and I will be saving $ for new rims as well. The rims and gas tank will be last as those will be the most costly.

So far so good, no major problems. I will say for me... it looks better in photos but not as quite "nice" as I want it. Hopefully when I paint the body it will look way better.

Also, has a little friend join me today and wouldn't leave. They say grasshoppers are good luck? Wink

andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:28 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Things are looking good and its a little late, but you REALLY should remove what you can before painting...Example: sway bar. A mounting kit is maybe $20. Same deal with control arm seals. They get brittle and crack getting dirt into the bearings. Can be a pain in the ass to replace, but sometimes you get lucky.

Rear torsion spring bushings should have been replaced as well. And get in there are put a new shift rod bushing in before you go too far.

Run new metal brake lines.

Lot of this stuff is cheap, but can be very labor intensive. Much easier to do this stuff now than after the body is on.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
Things are looking good and its a little late, but you REALLY should remove what you can before painting...Example: sway bar. A mounting kit is maybe $20. Same deal with control arm seals. They get brittle and crack getting dirt into the bearings. Can be a pain in the ass to replace, but sometimes you get lucky.

Rear torsion spring bushings should have been replaced as well. And get in there are put a new shift rod bushing in before you go too far.

Run new metal brake lines.

Lot of this stuff is cheap, but can be very labor intensive. Much easier to do this stuff now than after the body is on.

Depends on what you mean "cheap" Laughing Seem like nothing is cheap for VW's these days consider my uncle told me he used to fully restore them in his day for about $1000!

Thank you for the advice. I can understand the shift rod bushing, and maybe metal brake lines, but I've ran an air compressor through the lines and they are good. The car literally has only 15,000 miles ran on it. So it's not like it had 100,000 miles on and then I started to rebuild it. It hasn't been on the road much because it's just been sitting. Why replace the sway bar?

I don't have the tool to replace the torsion arm seals and springs as they are spring loaded and my uncle said you need a special tool for that?
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

mas00 wrote:

Depends on what you mean "cheap" Laughing Seem like nothing is cheap for VW's these days consider my uncle told me he used to fully restore them in his day for about $1000!

Got to temper that with the fact that gas was well below a $1.00 per gallon, and most folks made between $1.00 to $2.00 per hour.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

The tool for the bushings is nice, but people have been doing it without it for years. The issue is that unless you know what all was replaced 15000 miles ago, then you cant be sure it was done. The sway bar bushings are not that hard to do.

Its like this - anytime I have "skipped" something because it was "probably" OK, it ended up biting me in the ass later. I worked on the brakes on my wifes 61 3 times for that very reason.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joey1320
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

Great work.
Cool Cool Cool
mas00
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2018 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

July 16th 2018 Update

Not many photos this time

I have have bought new brakes and the front axle has been assembled with the tires on. I check the sway bar and seals and they are almost in complete new condition. No cracks, still a little soft/hard not brittle. The play on the front end is great. I purchased new brake line kit from WW but will install that last when I get a new M.C.

I spent the last 2 weekends wasting my time with the shift rod bushing via recommendation, and it turns out the recommendation was wrong to begin with. I have a March-April 1960 vw, body/chassis everything matches (except the back truck end) and Volkswagen didn't start the bushing until June of 1960. I have a metal rolled hanger bracket so a rubber bushing will not sit/fit inside there. In order to get the shift rod out I had to basically destroy the coupler so I purchased a new one and put it on. I spent about a total of 5 hours trying to get the rubber bushing in the plate before I looked up the info.

Instead I cleaned up the shift rod tube, put it back, assembled the transmission with all new mounts, and brackets. The transmission is on, and all that is left is the back axle and drain/fill the transmission with fluid. I also replaced the bearing in the front (bought timkens)

I do however have a big decision to make now, which is to take a torch to the tunnel, rip it open, weld a "new" updated 1960+ shift rod bracket that is not rolled metal that will fit a rubber bushing. While it's not about the money it's a pain in the a$$ and a lot of time and effort just for something that I have no clue if it will make a difference. Also will screw up my new paint job. I'm pretty much dealing with unknown variables at this point.

Same with the spring plate bushings. I purchased a set of new ones, but I might just wait until the body is back on so I have the weight of the body to aligned it correctly. When you replace them with the body off a lot of times you have to re-do it once you put the body back on because it's measured incorrectly.

Lot's to think about before I move ahead with the body/electrical. Its also been hot as hell in this Texas summer heat so not much fun to work in. I sure do miss my Cali beaches right now.

67ctbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:35 am    Post subject: Re: VW BugTuck??? Custom Build... Not sure the year Reply with quote

mas00 wrote:

I do however have a big decision to make now, which is to take a torch to the tunnel, rip it open, weld a "new" updated 1960+ shift rod bracket that is not rolled metal that will fit a rubber bushing. While it's not about the money it's a pain in the a$$ and a lot of time and effort just for something that I have no clue if it will make a difference. Also will screw up my new paint job. I'm pretty much dealing with unknown variables at this point.

First off very nice car! Now, I don't see any reason to rip your tunnel apart. I've never heard of it being done so why do it anyway?
'63 Ragtop
'73 914
'73 Dodge W200
'72 Dodge Wrecker
Go Cubs!
World Series Champions 2016
KentPS wrote:
...or the PO envied the terrorists' bus in "Back to the Future". Laughing

mukluk wrote:
He's fine, just waiting for the dragon in winklepickers to move out of his lane.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: