Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Camping Lantern Test
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:12 am    Post subject: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

I've been using a single mantle propane lantern for camping and it has served us well over the years. However I try to use stuff that is compact, lightweight and simple to use. The propane lantern is compact but the bottle is kind of clunky and has an additional base to keep if from tipping over which also needs to be stored. When we're done with the lantern I shut it down and set it under our westy to cool and stay dry. Then in the morning I pack it up. It's actually pretty compact for what it is however I would not call it simple because I carry the lantern, extra mantle, propane bottle & plastic base and you have to treat it like an open flame. Sometimes when I don't want to hassle with the propane lantern we just use a solar Luci light.

Costco has a some battery LED lanterns on sale so I picked up a couple for a test. The short of it is the propane light will be headed for craigslist and I am keeping both of the Costco lights.

Line line up, Luci Solar Light, Costco Flashlight/Lantern Combo, Costco Lantern, Propane lantern
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The test, each light gets to sit on a 5 gallon bucket 10 feet from the front bumper. I used a cell phone for these pics so the quality is low but I did lock the phone in manual mode so it wouldn't adjust for the differences in light.

First up, the propane single mantle lantern. Warm light and lights things up well like the landscape to the left and depending on your monitor you may see the van interior.

Costco Lantern on High, Harsh light and close or equal to the light output of the propane lantern. https://www.costco.com/Cascade-Mountain-Tech-Multimode-LED-Lantern-3-pack.product.100382516.html

Costco Lantern on Low

Costco Flashlight in Lantern Mode which matches the Costco lantern on low. This also has a flashlight that has a fixed spot beam. The spot beam easily lights stuff up a 200 feet away, it will be good for inspecting parking spots at night. It will replace our other flashlight, I like that I can use if for investigating parking spots and as lantern light around a campsite. https://www.costco.com/Life-Gear-100-Lumen-AR-Tech...15035.html

Luci Solar light on high, barely can make out a reflection of a Bus Depot headlight. This pic may get booted from Samba since it's tough to pick out an VW content. Luci does better from an elevated perch but today the test is on the bucket.

It's time to go camping!
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:40 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

We have moved to just carrying a Luci with us along with flashlights and head lamps.

If there was a better way to make kerosene mantel lamps function, they would be my favorite light, but since they tend to FU if you don't watch and adjusted them constantly, they are only good for decorative use in most cases.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

SSWesty wrote:
Harsh light

thanks for the photos, excellent illustrations for discussion

a lantern that burns a flame produces warmer light than an inexpensive Cool White LED

the lantern also produces more light in the Red spectrum, than a CW LED

When camping in areas with little light from other sources, I prefer warmer light. I also prefer the light source to have sufficient Red Spectrum output, to make food and people look realistic.

CW light makes reds look brown, does not work for gaugeing how cooked a burger is, and makes peoples skin look lifeless.

I like Luci lights, except that they use Pulse Width Modulation. That is a form of strobing the LED with on off power pulses. I find that type of light hypnotic, some people get migraines from it. I avoid PWM, and I avoid Cool White.

I no longer use Luci lights, though I am particularly fond of the Luci Aura, the ability to choose a candle like color is pleasing for my relaxed ambiance lighting needs.

I use flashlights, I have several different color temperatures and beam patterns. My favorite is a Warm White Color Temperature, similar to incandescent light bulbs in my home, and similar to the Color Temperature of the light from a fire or candle.

LED bulbs are not full spectrum. Your Propane Lantern IS full spectrum, or what is called a Black Body Radiator. The quality of light it produces is far superior in spectrum, to any LED.

all these terms
Cool White
Warm White
PWM
Color Temperature
Black Body Radiator
CRI
R9

are part of my flashlight hobby

If I was to recommend one single, unmodified flashlight for use inside a Van, or around a picnic table, it would be this one:
https://www.gearbest.com/led-flashlights/pp_1356404.html?wid=1433363
with the 5000k LED option

it is not a perfect light, in terms of Color Rendering, but it has many features I find valuable including
1. the LED is not Cool White

2. the beam is extremely floody, and works really well as a close range illuminant, including clipped to a baseball cap

3. the light includes a rechargeable battery, that does not require a separate charger, it just needs a USB connection

4. it is small and lightweight, and relatively inexpensive

5. It has multiple modes, including a super low "moonlight" mode, that is sufficient to find my way in the dark to a toilet, without waking anyone else up, and is not too glaring and bright, so I can get back to sleep.

Here is a thread where I go into great detail about this light Im recommending, called a Utorch S1 Mini
http://budgetlightforum.com/node/60324

that thread has photos of the beam, and beam color, before and after having the LED replaced with a High CRI, High R9 LED.

as far as lanterns, I dont like lights that shine a beam into my eyes, I prefer lights with lampshades, or whose beams are directed to the area I want to illuminate, without blinding me.

So I would use neither the Propane, nor the Costco lanterns pictured. My approach is to shine a light at the ceiling of the westy, and use the diffused light that bounces down, to illuminate the cabin.

the subject of LED flashlights is broad, and full of variables, like most topics involving choices of equipment.

I hope you continue to find joy in camping, and shopping for gear to serve that need Smile
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

I have used that Costco lantern for the past year. It was a gift that I would normally not purchase for myself. It is not a design exclusive to Costco--it is an extremely common pop-up LED lantern that is sold all over the place.

It has a magnetic base that is very handy--I can slap it on any body panel on the outside of the van and get great results.

As you mention, it has two light intensities. The light intensity can also be regulated by raising or lowering the telescoping lens housing.

It also has a red light feature, for helping maintain night vision.

Also has a SOS strobe feature.

Also has USB charging capability (can be charged by USB, and can recharge other USB devices).

Also can be powered by AA batteries in the top cavity.

All in all, a very versatile product.

kourt
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

We carry two lanterns- one is a Coleman battery operated fluorescent. We use it mostly in the van, hanging from the pop up cross bar. Then we have an old kerosene lamp, the old mining style. It has the warmest light. I don't know how you can stand the LED lamps. We have the propane but even those are too harsh. The kerosene is like a mini campfire in the light it produces. Only drawbacks are you have to store it upright and bring some fuel in an airtight bag (smelly).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:
we have an old kerosene lamp, the old mining style. It has the warmest light. I don't know how you can stand the LED lamps.

we are of like minds
I would take a Warm Golden Sunset Kerosene wick flame over a propane lantern with a white hot mantle, over a Cool White LED, over a fluorescent

choices are good, having more than one choice is also good

what I like inside the van, is warmer and less bright, that what I like to spot deer accross a field.

Both is better than any One.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

As with WildThings, only Luci lights and headlamps for us.

We have three clear Lucis, and two frosted ones that have several different colors to mood up the place. They can be set to rotate through the colors like a lava lamp, which is cool.

The canister lanterns should be outlawed, the environmental impact of the Coleman bottles is a nightmare, and the mantles are very toxic.

— Colin Chapman

Last edited by E1 on Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
llilibel03
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
As with WildThings, only Luci lights and headlamps for us.

We have three clear Lucis, and two frosted ones that have several different colors to mood up the place. They can be set to rotate through the colors like a lava lamp, which is cool.

The canister lanterns should be outlawed, the environmental impact of the Coleman bottles is a nightmare, and the are mantles very toxic.

I've been seeing propane bottle recycling bins in the NP campgrounds.
Jon_slider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

an example showing how my iPhone sees PWM Luci

Link

more Luci in a Van photos
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=618569

a link to another lantern thread
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=4511351&highlight=collapsible#4511351
Rhinoculips wrote:
I love the collapsible camping candle lanterns.

Hozuki lanterns

Link

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

llilibel03 wrote:

Yep, after a normal weekend in Death Valley there's like a hundred of them damned things. Rolling Eyes

— Colin Chapman
SSWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

It will be a good day when warm or soft LED lighting will be mass marketed in these inexpensive "camping lanterns". For now I'll endure some harsh light for the convenience. However after seeing Jon's thread I am thinking I could hack the light and swap out the LED for a warmer one.

Jon - Cool info on the led lights, that Utorch is impressive. You should update your signature line to include "LED Light", you're really into getting the most out of a light.

Kourt - Looks like there may have been some cost cutting this year at costco, no USB port or magnet on this year's light.
kourt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

Here's the lantern I have, with full features:

https://www.amazon.com/SUBOOS-Power-Ultimate-Rechargeable-Lantern/dp/B00UZ2R89O

kourt
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

Agreed, I don't like harsh light when camping. In my shop it's OK.

There are lots of strings of Warm white lights available. Wrap them around pine-cones and set a few on the picnic table ($1.40 each)

LYA Led String Lights Silver Wire Powered by 2 x CR2032 Batteries, 2M/6.8 Feet and 20 Micro LEDs, 10-Pack in a Box
Link: http://a.co/8IsX1A9

Or build your own 12v lantern using "warm white" LEDs. These 12v LEDs are 1/5 watt each.

50 12v LEDs for $8.98 5mm pre wired 12 volt led Diodes Light - Warm White
Amazon Link: http://a.co/0Wbzupf

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
simonslp
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

We’ve had one of these the past few years and like it a lot. It’s a USB rechargeable device, it has dimming adjustability, it’s very bright, lightweight and packs away small, and has a quite acceptable (if not quick as nice a real flame) light spectrum. Without the hassle, heat and fire hazards of our propane lantern.

Available through MEC in Canada, I’m sure it’s easy to find in USA too.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:00 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

Thanks for the lantern review SS.

Like Jon S my mind went to my opinion that LED lights deliver amazingly efficient light but the quality and whiteness can sometimes be unbearable for me, esp. when in nature. While in camp at night I much prefer to glow of a fire or candles compared to the harsh white 5000K light of an LED (I’m not a fan of spilled candle wax though!).

To address this, I’ve been experimenting with filter papers to change the color of leds to appear warmer with some good results. This may make LEDs more pleasant for some folks.

Converts 5500°K daylight to 2900°K. Preferred either for a warmer look or when daylight is over 6000°K.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/44198-REG/Rosco_RS340711_3407_Filter_RoscoSun.html

And yes, it’s tome to go camping!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

E1 wrote:
llilibel03 wrote:

Yep, after a normal weekend in Death Valley there's like a hundred of them damned things. Rolling Eyes

people who dump these when camping should have them inserted up their backside and seated with a sledge hammer
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

Capitol concept!

We once watched a local drop three into the bin, then yell at a guy for smoking a cigar for its environmental hazards. Classic behavior all-too-common with the "Do as I say..." crowd in some areas. Twisted Evil

— Colin Chapman
Michael4104
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

simonslp wrote:

Available through MEC in Canada, I’m sure it’s easy to find in USA too.

Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/Goal-Zero-Lighthouse-Lanter...&psc=1
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

I refill my little propane bottles.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Camping Lantern Test Reply with quote

Like the MSR-style cans?

Because that sounds like one fine resolution!

Please, do tell.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: